Kicked off Southwest flight...

Old Feb 27, 2020, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
I think the pile on is over... but lots of folks would love to hear what the rest of the story is....
They're keen to do more "advising."
Old Feb 27, 2020, 4:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I have no idea what really happened here.

When I fly WN, I check in the day before, get the QR code on my phone, show phone to TSA and to gate, and board flight. (Occasionally, on the rare case when I'm checking a bag, I'll grab a paper BP from the kiosk. But that is not necessary and I always have my phone QR code as well.)

Nobody ever asks for or sees my ticket number or anything resembling a ticket or an email containing ticket information.

Was OP also attempting to check a bag?
Old Feb 28, 2020, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by pinniped
I have no idea what really happened here.

When I fly WN, I check in the day before, get the QR code on my phone, show phone to TSA and to gate, and board flight. (Occasionally, on the rare case when I'm checking a bag, I'll grab a paper BP from the kiosk. But that is not necessary and I always have my phone QR code as well.)

Nobody ever asks for or sees my ticket number or anything resembling a ticket or an email containing ticket information.

Was OP also attempting to check a bag?
What has happened here is that the OP has made a bit of a cock-up, had a rant, realised it, tried to save face, didn't, and will now disappear into the depths of Internetwebshire, possibly seeking solace in mumsnet.

We'll not see them again around these parts, and if we do it will only to see if our imagination can be stretched further.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond

When I fly WN, I check in the day before, get the QR code on my phone, show phone to TSA and to gate, and board flight.
If I did that, there would be a 45-minute line and my phone battery would die .5 seconds before I got to the TSA guy.

Paper all the way.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 1:00 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
If I did that, there would be a 45-minute line and my phone battery would die .5 seconds before I got to the TSA guy. Paper all the way.
I get called a Luddite for having a backup paper BP.

But it paid off on a Sunday morning about five years ago when WN's computers took a dump and those at the gate with mobile BPs were sent all the way back to the ticket counters to get paper BPs. Then reclear TSA. They got back to the gate about an hour later.
MSPeconomist, TSparky and ryw like this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 1:20 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Tanic

But it paid off on a Sunday morning about five years ago when WN's computers took a dump and those at the gate with mobile BPs were sent all the way back to the ticket counters to get paper BPs. Then reclear TSA. They got back to the gate about an hour later.
A screenshot would have worked just fine I think?
Old Feb 28, 2020, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why do people seem to think that using a paper BP is anything more or less than the choice to use a phone BP? What the hell kind of personality differentiation is that supposed to indicate?
Old Feb 28, 2020, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rickg523
Why do people seem to think that using a paper BP is anything more or less than the choice to use a phone BP? What the hell kind of personality differentiation is that supposed to indicate?
I guess to absolutely minimize your risk of a problem, you could have both of them ready.

I occasionally print out paper BPs for certain international departures. It definitely facilitates getting through an airport with 3-4 rings of security, all of whom want to see a ticket or BP. Ring #1 is sometimes while you're still sitting in a vehicle entering airport property...I'd rather hand a piece of paper out the window than my phone.

With regular domestic WN itins I just use the phone. The one time I boarded a WN flight during a system outage, you could show either a paper BP or a passport/driver's license and they could check you off in the system.
ryw likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Tanic

I will easily take that chance. It is so very rare.

Been using Mobile BP for years and never had a problem.

Anyways, back to topic... maybe the OP has given up on us.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 11:42 pm

I think of Paul Harvey, "and now the rest of the story..."
Old Feb 29, 2020, 2:29 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I have no idea what really happened here? ...,
That sums it up perfectly. Nobody knows what OP is factually asserting. Combine that with OP's wild speculation and one can understand exactly how the thread played out.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by exwannabe
That sums it up perfectly. Nobody knows what OP is factually asserting. Combine that with OP's wild speculation and one can understand exactly how the thread played out.
I'm speculating one of the following three things happened:

- OP didn't actually bring a valid BP to the TSA checkpoint. Brought what he thought was a "ticket", which in WN-land would be the confirmation email.
- OP needed to check a bag. That's the thing that often necessitates interacting with a human at the counter. And lead times for that vary by airport and are longer than the OP may have realized.
- Southwest is just punking the OP, daring him to fly AA because they are vicious trolls that way.
steved5480 and trouble747 like this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 9:18 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
I'm speculating one of the following three things happened:

- OP didn't actually bring a valid BP to the TSA checkpoint. Brought what he thought was a "ticket", which in WN-land would be the confirmation email.
- OP needed to check a bag. That's the thing that often necessitates interacting with a human at the counter. And lead times for that vary by airport and are longer than the OP may have realized.
- Southwest is just punking the OP, daring him to fly AA because they are vicious trolls that way.
-OP tried bringing a full size checked bag via security and got stopped by either a TSO or contract agent, went to the desk and missed the cut off

Saw this exact situation happen at ATL a few weeks ago, one lady tried to bring it and was genuinely baffled when told it needs to be checked. Don't know if cut off was missed.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 10:05 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
-OP tried bringing a full size checked bag via security and got stopped by either a TSO or contract agent, went to the desk and missed the cut off

Saw this exact situation happen at ATL a few weeks ago, one lady tried to bring it and was genuinely baffled when told it needs to be checked. Don't know if cut off was missed.
Not the TSA's job to enforce luggage sizing although some try. She could have missed the deadline for counter check-in and wanted to bring it to the gate for a chance it might make it with her. Or she could have been a noob.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by TheRoadie
Not the TSA's job to enforce luggage sizing although some try.
True, but if you show up with a bag that has zero chance of being a carry-on, they're going to send you to the counter. That could be the aforementioned noob move.

There was a brief period where the security checkpoint tried to enforce sizing...I remember the sizing cut-outs they put on the X-ray machines in a few airports. It was a huge fail and I'm glad they don't do that anymore. But still, anybody can eyeball a full-case suitcase and know it isn't a carry-on.
steved5480 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.