Search

Southwest Skimps on the Snacks?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2020, 11:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles, Global Entry, Non-Rev
Southwest Skimps on the Snacks?

Have flown Southwest on a variety of different flights since 2011, on short 40-50 minute hops to 4 hour flights. One of my favorite things of course about WN was the peanuts they offered on basically every flight, minus the times someone told them in advance they had a "peanut allergy". This was usually served with Nabisco snacks on longer flights or a packet of pretzels on shorter flights. Since then, they have gotten rid of the peanuts. However, I feel this gave them an excuse to skimp on the snacks. On basically every flight since then it's basically one small bag of pretzels and that's it. Kind of sad considering on AA/DL/UA/AS, you have a choice of free snacks depending on the flight time, B6 offers unlimited free snacks, and NK/G4/F9 you can at least buy whatever snacks you want. WN you get no option and while I guess you can get away with offering a bag of pretzels on a short sub one hour flight such as inter Texas flights or MDW-MSP for example I don't feel it's appropriate handing one small bag of pretzels to customers and nothing else to customers on a 1.5-2.5 hour flight. Anyone else agree with me or feel they get away with skimping?
Old Feb 17, 2020, 11:57 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
1. No
2. Yes
Old Feb 18, 2020, 6:01 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaConnection
AA/DL/UA/AS B6 NK/G4/F9
That's a lot of snacks...
Old Feb 18, 2020, 6:23 am

“Excuse me ma’am/sir... may I have some more pretzels please?”

The snacks offered are based on flight time or mileage which I don’t remember the specifics. I’ve never been denied more snacks so all you have to do is ask.
Often1 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 6:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Marcus Harper
“Excuse me ma’am/sir... may I have some more pretzels please?”

The snacks offered are based on flight time or mileage which I don’t remember the specifics. I’ve never been denied more snacks so all you have to do is ask.
This.

There are many things not to like about WN. But, one of them isn't that FA's won't give you more under normal circumstances. Just hit the call button, ask a passing FA or head to the galley.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Yea... pretty basic. But, we are okay with it. We usually buy something in the airport and often have a baggie of snacks with us.

Drink service is much better than on the mainline carriers though.
steved5480 and ryw like this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 8:12 am

Just ask...not worth the angst. So many more important things to deal with.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 10:54 am

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
It is also about waste. During mid length flights they gave out peanuts AND pretzels vs peanuts OR pretzels on shorter flights. When they ditched peanuts they stared giving out two bags of pretzels on the mid flights and reportedly the FAs were pulling full bags of pretzels out of the seat back pockets during cleanup, so they stuck with one bag as a default.

Southwest will willingly give you a full can of beverage and additional bags of snacks if you ask...but do not assume that just because you want that, everyone else on the plane does...you indeed have the option for more if you desire.

While I agree other carriers have far superior food service, Southwest far surpasses them in other areas IMO that well makes up for that shortcoming,

I will gladly take a small bag of peanuts if it means I can keep no change fees and two checks bags free.
isaac.chambers likes this.

Last edited by PAX62; Feb 18, 2020 at 11:00 am
Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:04 am

Last time I flew, which was about a month ago, the FA came around taking drink orders. I asked for ginger ale and the FA pulled a can out of the pocket of her apron, handed it to me and said ""I'll be back with a cup and ice." A couple of minutes later she was, indeed, back with the cup and ice.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 1:19 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Originally Posted by StAugustine
Last time I flew, which was about a month ago, the FA came around taking drink orders. I asked for ginger ale and the FA pulled a can out of the pocket of her apron, handed it to me and said ""I'll be back with a cup and ice." A couple of minutes later she was, indeed, back with the cup and ice.
On the flip side once I request a half orange juice and half sprite...the FA thinking she was being generous brought me an cup if ice, full can of OJ and full can of sprite...only problem was I had my laptop and papers out already fully occupying the tray (was out when order were taken) and with middle seat also occupied and just looked at her with a "really?" expression...and was not THAT thirsty. Cup I could have dealt with...setting up bar station on my table was a bit much at that time.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 1:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm on a 2-ish hour WN flight right now and just finished eating a little bag of those cheese Ritz crackers.

I actually prefer WN on the shorter flights. Legacies sometimes give nothing at all and run a limited drink service (coffee/juice/water) on short flights. Southwest always provides a full drink menu as long as the FAs have time to make one drink run.

On longer flights, I prefer the ability to buy a sandwich on most legacy carriers. But since I know you can't do this on WN, I just grab one in the airport if I know I'm going to want it.

I honestly have no complaints here. I like mixed nuts, cashews, pistachios, and most other nuts...but a little bag of straight peanuts isn't something I miss.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 1:49 pm

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
I wouldn't miss the snacks even if they went away entirely. There is usually better food available in the airport if I'm that hungry.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 2:03 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
ETOPS Snacks

synergistic and ryw like this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 2:52 pm

I think the longer flights all get fritos and some sort of shortbread cookies. Pretzels are just fine for me on the shorter flights, though I did like the honey roasted years. I also really did like the Hawaii snack packs - processed cheese spread is a guilty favorite of mine =p
Old Feb 18, 2020, 2:56 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
On short flights (those about an hour), I find Southwest provides better snacks (and much better drink) service than the big 3 carriers, where you're lucky if you get anything at all! Or something beyond a quick water/coffee service. I do miss the days of getting both peanuts and pretzels though, but FAs seem to be fine if you ask for a second bag of pretzels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.