Checked luggage dimensions

Old Feb 17, 2020, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KL/BMI/BA
Checked luggage dimensions

Hi everyone.

We have booked to travel on Southwest for the first time and I'm wondering how strict they are with the dimensions on free checked luggage.

The website states that max dimensions for luggage are 62 inches & 50 pounds. Our 2 suitcases are the XXL size hard Samsonite cases with total measurements of approx 69 inches. They are really large. I'm guessing that I won't get away with this and may have to get new cases, but the problem is the next size down still exceeds the limit by a couple of inches. As we're travelling from Europe and taking a cruise we aren't going to be travelling light.

How strict are Southwest regarding this?

The check in agent isn't going to measure our luggage are they?

Any advice or experience appreciated.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 12:59 pm

Entirely up to the check-in agent you get. More likely to get caught on weight
lougord99, Dean1953, lo2e and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 1:29 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by simon stingray
The website states that max dimensions for luggage are 62 inches & 50 pounds. Our 2 suitcases are the XXL size hard Samsonite cases with total measurements of approx 69 inches. They are really large. I'm guessing that I won't get away with this and may have to get new cases
You may have more leniency checking bags with a Skycap. WN does accept bags up to 100 pounds and 80 linear inches for a US$75 overweight/oversize fee, so you wouldn't necessarily need new bags.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 2:12 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
They are sticklers on the 50lb weight limit but super lenient on max dimensions especially if it is actual luggage. Have checked quite a few oversized things and they never batted an eye. They are mainly on the lookout for things that may jam up baggage conveyer belt or need oversized baggage handling bit rarely are busting out a tape measure to check a suitcase.
lougord99 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I hope you get through okay.

Weight is more of a concern than size.

Southwest gives you two bags per passenger, plus a carry on.

Side note - we have now done a couple of two week trips with only a carry on plus a small computer/lap bag. My wife now loves traveling light. River and ocean cruises in Europe with extra days on each end. No problems.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
At an inch or two over, it's hardly noticeable and I don't see WN doing anything. But 69" is 7" over and depending on whether that is split between all three dimensions or one, the over-size bag may be very noticeable. But, as others note, it's not really worth replacing your luggage as it's unlikely that you can get what you need for $75 and that is what you will pay if your bag is are is over-size.

Defintiely agree with side note above. Traveling light is liberating.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 7:08 pm

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
I do one 65" bag on a fairly regular basis and have never been questioned about it with either WN or DL. I have had to move things from one suitcase to another due to one of my bags weighing 51#.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 12:25 am
Suspended

Programs: SkyMiles, Global Entry, Non-Rev
Weight you will definitely get caught/have to pay the appropriate fee, dimensions I doubt it unless the agent is bored/in a bad mood or the bag obviously looks way too large.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tanic
You may have more leniency checking bags with a Skycap.
Yeah, this is the solution. For $5, the guy would let a dead body through.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 6:13 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Its worthwhile to weigh your luggage beforehand, either on a bathroom scale or on one of those dedicated luggage scales. I used to worry that my checked bag would be too heavy until I weighed it and found there was no way I could ever stuff it full enough to come close to fifty pounds. Your experiences may vary; if you travel with a bunch of heavy items obviously those will add up faster.
synergistic likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: KL/BMI/BA
Thanks for the replies. You have all been really helpful.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.