Schedule changes June/early July

Old Feb 13, 20, 2:54 pm

I keep getting a message while trying to change flights that "We are unable to price the flight you selected. Please select a different flight or contact a Southwest Airlines Customer Representative at 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792) for assistance." I was able to change it in June, but when I try to change a July flight, I get that message. Any ideas, or should I just call?

I should add I get that message regardless of the flight or date I try and change to. I've tried a few different ones, but the selection is very thin (GCM-DTW). I've also tried to do a multi-city trip (GCM-FLL-DTW) and cannot change the GCM-FLL leg.
Old Feb 13, 20, 3:40 pm
Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by shadow520 View Post
I keep getting a message while trying to change flights that "We are unable to price the flight you selected. Please select a different flight or contact a Southwest Airlines Customer Representative at 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792) for assistance." I was able to change it in June, but when I try to change a July flight, I get that message. Any ideas, or should I just call?

I should add I get that message regardless of the flight or date I try and change to. I've tried a few different ones, but the selection is very thin (GCM-DTW). I've also tried to do a multi-city trip (GCM-FLL-DTW) and cannot change the GCM-FLL leg.
shadow520 -

We are working on an issue where this error sometimes occurs if you are changing just one direction and the unchanged direction is no longer available in the fare class that it is booked in.
This obviously should not be an issue since you are already booked and not changing that segment. We are working with IT and our backend reservation system to resolve.
At this time, if you are getting that message, the only option will be to call and the agent will be able to assist you in making the change.

Sorry for the inconvenience,
SWAVictor
synergistic likes this.
Old Feb 13, 20, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by shadow520 View Post

GCM - FLL flights arrive too late in the day to catch the last flight to Detroit most days - looks like it only works on Sundays? If you can find a FLL-xxx-DTW flight that leaves at least 30min after the flight gets in from GCM, you should be able to plug it into multi city as gcm-xxx-dtw. Good luck !
Old Feb 13, 20, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by SWAVictor View Post
shadow520 -

We are working on an issue where this error sometimes occurs if you are changing just one direction and the unchanged direction is no longer available in the fare class that it is booked in.
This obviously should not be an issue since you are already booked and not changing that segment. We are working with IT and our backend reservation system to resolve.
At this time, if you are getting that message, the only option will be to call and the agent will be able to assist you in making the change.

Sorry for the inconvenience,
SWAVictor
Or maybe I'm mistaken and it's a back end thing, my bad =p
Old Feb 13, 20, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by synergistic View Post
GCM - FLL flights arrive too late in the day to catch the last flight to Detroit most days - looks like it only works on Sundays? If you can find a FLL-xxx-DTW flight that leaves at least 30min after the flight gets in from GCM, you should be able to plug it into multi city as gcm-xxx-dtw. Good luck !
Yeah, I'm really confused why this routing doesn't come up natively, GCM-FLL-DTW. There is a GCM-FLL flight that lands at 355pm, and a FLL-DTW flight that leaves at 705pm through BNA. I would think 3:10 is plenty of layover time in FLL. Last year, we could have chosen a through flight that had about a 2 hour layover natively, although I wasn't sure that was enough and booked something with a 4 hour layover. Turned out the 2 hours was plenty.
Old Feb 13, 20, 5:13 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by markr5485 View Post
Yeah like I said in the original post, "but still savings to be had."

I'm just saying in the past Southwest kept prices the same during the free change windows. This time, there is an immediate increase in the minimum price starting July 7th. WN knows that people are abusing this and increased the minimum price during the free change window so they don't take as much of a loss.
Interesting thing, it took them a while to get it. Back in the days I did apply to SWA Pricing and Revenue Management Division only to be turned down for having Hotel Revenue Management Experience and not even being allowed to interview. Guess recently graduated college kids come first, like at AA.
This was such and easy catch, specially when you have a free cancellation policy, but I guess their Pricers and Revenue Managers are now more interested in this than in just knowing where the big College Football Games are going to be hosted to increase prices. Also, it is now a Computer doing pricing and routes and only if there is a huge variance, it alerts the Revenue Manager for manual adjustments. Guess when the employees have Non Rev passes, they just don't know what is happening in the outside world.
Also, lets be honest, this one was paid for by Boeing in Washington ...
Old Feb 13, 20, 5:31 pm
jmw

Originally Posted by markr5485 View Post
This is all over slickdeals and blogs now unfortunately, the cat's out of the bag. Southwest seems to have caught on and raised their minimum prices during this free change window so there aren't any amazing deals anymore (at least on the routes I'm looking at) but still savings to be had.
Yup Southwest has caught on. You could tell by the end dates on the last couple of fare sales. The bloggers and slickdeals ruined the deal last month. That's why there is nothing good this time around. The bloggers/slickdeals literally cost me many hundreds of dollars. Yeah I'm mad. I'm sure many of their dumb readers don't realize that the deal is crap level this time around and are overspending on summer travel.

Definitely move along, nothing to see here....
Old Feb 13, 20, 6:13 pm

So that's what caused the change.

I'm only sad that I couldn't use the change to get my flight to a slightly closer airport than STL (never flown Southwest, wasn't sure if I could have).

The new schedule they gave me is actually better than the original, so I'm not gonna complain.
Old Feb 13, 20, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by jmw View Post
Yup Southwest has caught on. You could tell by the end dates on the last couple of fare sales. The bloggers and slickdeals ruined the deal last month. That's why there is nothing good this time around. The bloggers/slickdeals literally cost me many hundreds of dollars. Yeah I'm mad. I'm sure many of their dumb readers don't realize that the deal is crap level this time around and are overspending on summer travel.

Definitely move along, nothing to see here....
I completely agree. What I am thankful for is that it lasted for more than a year without the bloggers even caring enough; now that they are getting out of ideas of what to write about, now they are writting about it and more people trying to start buying WN tickets, but WN already caught up with the loophone they created and savings are marginal if no co terminal potential exists.
For now, they can keep Summer Tuesday/Wednesday flight prices up for a little more, without having problems until they close the window and can start pushing cheap Tuesday/Wednesday summer promos again.

Again, glad the bloggers didn't care about this for more than a year, as everything they touch/write about becomes non existant in a matter of days/weeks, and that is while banks keep paying them to refer crapy products or churn the good ones.
synergistic likes this.
Old Feb 13, 20, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by DarkRanger View Post
So that's what caused the change.

I'm only sad that I couldn't use the change to get my flight to a slightly closer airport than STL (never flown Southwest, wasn't sure if I could have).

The new schedule they gave me is actually better than the original, so I'm not gonna complain.
You know, in this instance, I think I'd call and try. If they have a flight that you'd prefer into a more convenient airport, give it a shot. Online they're only going to let you switch between coterminals, but if they actually changed your flight, they might be willing to make that change for you. Can't hurt to ask !
Old Feb 13, 20, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by synergistic View Post
You know, in this instance, I think I'd call and try. If they have a flight that you'd prefer into a more convenient airport, give it a shot. Online they're only going to let you switch between coterminals, but if they actually changed your flight, they might be willing to make that change for you. Can't hurt to ask !
I made that call a few hours before I had the chance to post here, actually.

Company policy is apparently that the start and end locations must be the same...
Old Feb 14, 20, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I completely agree. What I am thankful for is that it lasted for more than a year without the bloggers even caring enough; now that they are getting out of ideas of what to write about, now they are writting about it and more people trying to start buying WN tickets, but WN already caught up with the loophone they created and savings are marginal if no co terminal potential exists.
For now, they can keep Summer Tuesday/Wednesday flight prices up for a little more, without having problems until they close the window and can start pushing cheap Tuesday/Wednesday summer promos again.

Again, glad the bloggers didn't care about this for more than a year, as everything they touch/write about becomes non existant in a matter of days/weeks, and that is while banks keep paying them to refer crapy products or churn the good ones.
Helped me out. The original flight I had booked in the June-July timeframe had all WGA sold out. What I wanted to know was my companion made it though with the same confirm number even though the original flight was cancelled and I never even had to add the companion when I rebooked at the cheaper fare and then changed back to the original date??? Companion was just magically still there with same confirm.
Old Feb 15, 20, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28 View Post
Helped me out. The original flight I had booked in the June-July timeframe had all WGA sold out. What I wanted to know was my companion made it though with the same confirm number even though the original flight was cancelled and I never even had to add the companion when I rebooked at the cheaper fare and then changed back to the original date??? Companion was just magically still there with same confirm.
You might be discovering a new loophole with the Companion Pass and Higher Refundable fares ...

I have always have to cancel my companion in order to be able to modify my reservation. That is why now I try to wait until a week before travelling (when we know we are going for sure) and prices are for sure higher to issue the Companion ticket. Only time I don't do this is for super high season to and from Hawaii. Issued Companion tickets immediately before flights sold out.
Old Feb 15, 20, 11:56 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28 View Post
Companion was just magically still there with same confirm.
You might be discovering a new loophole with the Companion Pass and Higher Refundable fares ...
Or the companion still has a PNR but is no longer ticketed.
Old Feb 16, 20, 1:35 am

I have always have to cancel my companion in order to be able to modify my reservation. That is why now I try to wait until a week before travelling (when we know we are going for sure) and prices are for sure higher to issue the Companion ticket. Only time I don't do this is for super high season to and from Hawaii. Issued Companion tickets immediately before flights sold out.
Haven't had to cancel the companion ticket for a while now.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: