Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN Uncompetitive Pricing on SJC-SJD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2020, 1:12 am
Original Poster

WN Uncompetitive Pricing on SJC-SJD

I was looking for flights for SJC-SJD around mid May.

Why is it that WN charges so much more for this route than the other carriers?

For example, 5/13-5/18 is about $800 rt on WN but only around $500 on AS?
Old Feb 12, 2020, 1:20 am

WN prices in the checked luggage and flexible fares on many routes.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I see WN goes via a SanDiego connection. Maybe they get enough folks that will PAY the going price, so... they get it.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 7:13 am

Seems as though you're not terribly flexible, I can put together a round trip on the nonstops for $325 - with a TON of options below that $500 price point you mention.

The companion pass has a way of enforcing loyalty, but I still check other airlines after a trip is confirmed and the free cancelation is no longer necessary. Occasionally, two tickets on another airline comes out in the same ballpark - and then I decide based on perks and convenience. Even half price doesn't mean that WN isn't being competitive for the route, it might just come down to that particular day.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 3:09 pm

Flights from Bay Area to SJD is generally expensive. I found SWA to be not competitive due to high prices, few non-stops and limited # of flights. I ended up going booking AS with a BOGO.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If another carrier is cheaper and the other factors such as schedule, hard & soft product are to your liking, why on earth worry about it and not book the less expensive deal?

Travel insurance will cover the major change issues and it's not as though there is hourly service on any carrier, so routine changes aren't likely.
trooper and M60_to_LGA like this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 6:02 pm

Like everyone else has been saying, you need to be more flexible. Southwest only flies that route once a week. If you insist on flying SJC-SJD on Southwest with connections, then you're going to have to pay more because you're essentially paying for 2 separate flights. E.g. SJC-SAN and SAN-SJD. One method that's worked for me is booking the departure/return on WN and then the corresponding return/departure on AS. That allows you to get the cheaper Southwest fare while having more control over your schedule.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:37 am

Programs: SW Comp Pass, Lft Gold AA, Lft DIA HHONORS, National Exec Elite
It’s not that they are baseline uncompetitive to SJD. It’s that they have already sold the majority of the planes cheaper fares on that route to vacationers that planned farther ahead then you.
expert7700 and synergistic like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.