Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Can I get A-List status if I always fly using Rapid Rewards miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2020, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SWA, AA, JetBlue

I have a Southwest Premier Business credit card, which will get me 15,000 points toward A-List status. But I need 35,000 points to qualify for A-list, and I always fly using points I accumulate from using the card. Since I'm not paying for flights with money, is there a way to still qualify for A-List?
Old Feb 11, 2020, 10:26 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
no.

as you posted, if you were to earn the maximum of 15,000 TQP via CC, you're still 20,000TQP short to reach A-List.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Since you are not EARNING miles/points from flying, then you can not reach the level.

Not sure if you would even have enough even if they did count.. unless you are earning LOTS of miles from normal spend. (just my wild guess... LOL)
Old Feb 12, 2020, 5:48 am

Programs: LTP, PP
It would take three WN credit cards (if even possible) and $233,334 worth of spend to do so.
synergistic likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by mikenancy1
I have a Southwest Premier Business credit card, which will get me 15,000 points toward A-List status. But I need 35,000 points to qualify for A-list, and I always fly using points I accumulate from using the card. Since I'm not paying for flights with money, is there a way to still qualify for A-List?

Do what I do. Max out spend on TWO CCs that offer 15k TQPs each. I have a personal Priority and a business Premier card. That gives me 30k TQPs. I then purchase one BS fare for a flight I know will be expensive regardless (think Thanksgiving weekend). That BS fare gives me about 5900 TQPs to get me to A-List.

If you really want to get A-List based on "points", i also have UR points from CC spend on a third card. I purchased the BS fare last year using UR points by calling Chase Travel and having them book it as a revenue flight. I do about 40k in CC spend in shipping category which is great for the UR card as it's 3x points in this category.

I am now A-List. Didn't spend a cash dime on any flights last year.
nsx, jmw and FindAWay like this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 1:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Platium. Hyatt Globlist. United Member. WN A-list w/CP. Frontier Elite 100K.
I also buy Southwest Gift cards with Southwest points then the flights will count towards A list. I only do with for to get from 30,000 to 35,000 TQPs.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 7:47 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Originally Posted by MileHighColorado
I also buy Southwest Gift cards with Southwest points then the flights will count towards A list. I only do with for to get from 30,000 to 35,000 TQPs.
How does that value out going that method? I lost A List for the first time in many many years due to lack of cash flights but have more points than I know what to do with and take quite a few flights on points...but wanna make sure I get A-List back ASAP.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:58 am

Programs: Marriott Platium. Hyatt Globlist. United Member. WN A-list w/CP. Frontier Elite 100K.
Originally Posted by PAX62
How does that value out going that method? I lost A List for the first time in many many years due to lack of cash flights but have more points than I know what to do with and take quite a few flights on points...but wanna make sure I get A-List back ASAP.
Not very good $500 gift card = 50,000 points ($0.01 per point) but I have excess southwest points, so it is worth it to me to get A list.

Last edited by MileHighColorado; Feb 13, 2020 at 10:02 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.