Crazy companion pass question.

Old Jan 30, 20, 9:54 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 74
Crazy companion pass question.

My wife and I both have CP. I am booking our family vacation right now for this summer. I will book a flight for me with 1 child as companion and one for her with 1 child as companion. What if we decide to take a trip before the summer trip with just Her and II would want to change the companion on 1 of our accounts so that we could have a free person. How would this effect the already booked flight for a later date?
hanly2 is offline  
Old Jan 30, 20, 11:02 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,139
Lots of explanations about this in lots of other threads, but basically, when you go to change your companion on record for the earlier flight, the already booked companion most likely loses their later flight.

You can try and protect the original/later-flight companion by booking a flight for them on points. After the earlier flight is flown, call in and change your companion, and change the point booking to a companion pass booking

Last edited by dmbolp; Jan 30, 20 at 11:14 am
dmbolp is online now  
Old Jan 30, 20, 4:47 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Programs: IHG,Hyatt, Hilton Diamond, Marriott, Wyndham, SPG, United, Delta, Alaska, AA, Southwest
Posts: 5,306
Originally Posted by hanly2 View Post
My wife and I both have CP. I am booking our family vacation right now for this summer. I will book a flight for me with 1 child as companion and one for her with 1 child as companion. What if we decide to take a trip before the summer trip with just Her and II would want to change the companion on 1 of our accounts so that we could have a free person. How would this effect the already booked flight for a later date?
You can only have one companion at a time and that person must be your companion when they fly.

What I would do is hold one of the childrens tickets using points, make your wife your companion, complete that trip and then change your companion back to your childs name.

If the flight is not sold out you can cancel the childs points reservation ( you get an instant refund of all the points) and add the child back as your companion.

If the flight is sold out contact SWA and they can make the change for you.
joshua362 likes this.
flyer4512 is online now  
Old Jan 30, 20, 5:27 pm
  #4  
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: California
Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Posts: 19,665
Originally Posted by flyer4512 View Post
If the flight is sold out contact SWA and they can make the change for you.
This is not 100% correct. If the flight is already oversold then canceling the points seat will not free a seat for Companion booking. In 90+% cases you will get the seat you want, but there is a small chance you will need to refresh several times per hour until someone else cancels a seat.
nsx is offline  
Old Jan 30, 20, 6:10 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Programs: IHG,Hyatt, Hilton Diamond, Marriott, Wyndham, SPG, United, Delta, Alaska, AA, Southwest
Posts: 5,306
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
This is not 100% correct. If the flight is already oversold then canceling the points seat will not free a seat for Companion booking. In 90+% cases you will get the seat you want, but there is a small chance you will need to refresh several times per hour until someone else cancels a seat.
Originally Posted by flyer4512 View Post
If the flight is not sold out you can cancel the childs points reservation ( you get an instant refund of all the points) and add the child back as your companion.

If the flight is sold out contact SWA and they can make the change for you.


That is why I said contact SWA if the flight is sold out. If the agent can't swap the seat you have held on points for a CP seat then obviously you want to keep the points reservation.
flyer4512 is online now  
Old Jan 30, 20, 7:51 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 111
Are we sure SW's crappy IT system will cancel the original companion's ticket? If OP books the child on a CP fare then changes the companion, I think the child's ticket will remain. If the child (or adult if it was an adult) tries to take that flight without being the official companion, SW will see it at the gate and deny. But I think the ticket stays. Are there any real data points on this?
ave1024 is offline  
Old Jan 30, 20, 11:32 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Programs: IHG,Hyatt, Hilton Diamond, Marriott, Wyndham, SPG, United, Delta, Alaska, AA, Southwest
Posts: 5,306
Originally Posted by ave1024 View Post
Are we sure SW's crappy IT system will cancel the original companion's ticket? If OP books the child on a CP fare then changes the companion, I think the child's ticket will remain. If the child (or adult if it was an adult) tries to take that flight without being the official companion, SW will see it at the gate and deny. But I think the ticket stays. Are there any real data points on this?
If the OP plans on taking a trip with his wife before the family trip he shouldn't book his child as a companion for the summer trip until after the trip with his wife is complete.

Even if SW didn't catch the change ( they will when his wife flies as his companion if not earlier) you only get to change companions 3 times, So if he has his child (1) his wife (2) and his child again (3) he can't make anymore changes for 2020. If he starts with his wife and then the child he can still make one more change to his companion in 2020. Who knows what may come up so why waste it ?

He should make his wife his companion, book that trip, fly that trip then change his companion to his child

His childs ticket for the summer trip is held on points in case the flight sells out.

As far as SW IT not being on the ball they caught a flight I made as a backup ( American Fiasco) within 24 hours. Long story as to why I need 2 flights on WN the same day from different cities
flyer4512 is online now  
Old Jan 31, 20, 4:46 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,638
Originally Posted by flyer4512 View Post
... you only get to change companions 3 times, So if he has his child (1) his wife (2) and his child again (3) he can't make anymore changes for 2020. If he starts with his wife and then the child he can still make one more change to his companion in 2020.
It is true that Southwest allows up to three companion changes per calendar year. The initial designation, however, does not count as one of those three changes. Meaning that, in your example, it would actually be "his child (initial designation), his wife (change 1), his child again (2), and up to one more change for 2020 (3)."
synergistic likes this.
ursine1 is online now  
Old Jan 31, 20, 4:58 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,151
Originally Posted by ursine1 View Post
It is true that Southwest allows up to three companion changes per calendar year. The initial designation, however, does not count as one of those three changes. Meaning that, in your example, it would actually be "his child (initial designation), his wife (change 1), his child again (2), and up to one more change for 2020 (3)."
I've only changed companions once, but this version is how I understood it to work. I'm not exactly clear on whether you can pick a different 'initial' companion for the second year, or if you're stuck with your final prior year companion as your initial.
synergistic is offline  
Old Jan 31, 20, 7:39 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 111
Originally Posted by synergistic View Post
I've only changed companions once, but this version is how I understood it to work. I'm not exactly clear on whether you can pick a different 'initial' companion for the second year, or if you're stuck with your final prior year companion as your initial.
I "pick" who I want to start the calendar year with by making the change at the end of December. Obviously if you are out of changes for that year you can't do it.

I don't see why he can't book the companion fare for the child. Get a confirmation number. Then change companion to the wife. Book that and take that flight. Then change companion back. When you change companion the companion itinerary for the old companion disappears from the "your trips" portion if your account summary. However those actual confirmation numbers don't get removed from my experience. In fact when you change the companion back, those original companion confirmation numbers should reappear.

There was a time where I did this, i booked companion fares then changed companions. I forgot i had the original companion fare booked and while I eventually cancelled those fares and got the $5.60 back, it was weeks after i booked them and they were still there. The 24 hour thing is usually for duplicate itinerary, the system can easily see those. Just my two cents.
ave1024 is offline  
Old Jan 31, 20, 12:27 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Programs: IHG,Hyatt, Hilton Diamond, Marriott, Wyndham, SPG, United, Delta, Alaska, AA, Southwest
Posts: 5,306
Originally Posted by ursine1 View Post
It is true that Southwest allows up to three companion changes per calendar year. The initial designation, however, does not count as one of those three changes. Meaning that, in your example, it would actually be "his child (initial designation), his wife (change 1), his child again (2), and up to one more change for 2020 (3)."
Ok but it still makes no sense to dedicate a companion knowing that person is not going to fly while your companion, if his wife is going to fly the first trip of 2020 as his companion than she should be his first companion.

Originally Posted by ave1024 View Post
I "pick" who I want to start the calendar year with by making the change at the end of December. Obviously if you are out of changes for that year you can't do it.

I don't see why he can't book the companion fare for the child. Get a confirmation number. Then change companion to the wife. Book that and take that flight. Then change companion back. When you change companion the companion itinerary for the old companion disappears from the "your trips" portion if your account summary. However those actual confirmation numbers don't get removed from my experience. In fact when you change the companion back, those original companion confirmation numbers should reappear.

There was a time where I did this, i booked companion fares then changed companions. I forgot i had the original companion fare booked and while I eventually cancelled those fares and got the $5.60 back, it was weeks after i booked them and they were still there. The 24 hour thing is usually for duplicate itinerary, the system can easily see those. Just my two cents.
Last year was the first year we ever changed companions, I did the same exact scenario you spoke of ( by mistake as I had no idea what the rules were) and the original companions ticket was cancelled days after I booked the new companions ticket. I called SWA and they told me i was not allowed and that was why the flight was cancelled.

Since this is a family vacation IMO the best scenario is to hold the one childs ticket on points, then when that child becomes the Companion ( after the wifes flight is complete) change the points reservation to CP.

Last edited by flyer4512; Jan 31, 20 at 12:37 pm
flyer4512 is online now  
Old Feb 1, 20, 9:48 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,720
Originally Posted by synergistic View Post
I've only changed companions once, but this version is how I understood it to work. I'm not exactly clear on whether you can pick a different 'initial' companion for the second year, or if you're stuck with your final prior year companion as your initial.
You can pick a new initial companion each calendar year plus three changes, thus up to four different companions per calendar year. This has been discussed, confirmed, questioned, confirmed, discussed again, and confirmed again ad nauseam in this forum.
smmrfld is offline  
Old Feb 3, 20, 12:33 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Posts: 9,359
As I understand, you can not have ACTIVE reservations for different compsnions

you have to complete one booking/ flight, then change who cp is, then book next flight

so, book the primary person as far in advance as you want, but wait to add cp
NoStressHere is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: