Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I want to fly SW

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2020, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Question I want to fly SW

I keep thinking I'd like to fly Southwest because their website shows a lot of destinations available from DSM but when I search for availability for many of them, there are no flights available. Is the SW website not accurate regarding flight routes when using the List View of the Route Search Tool?
Old Jan 28, 2020, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Not sure what you are trying to do, but if you try to book using normal booking (not list view), what do you get?

I just did a sample DSM to LAX and found this
Old Jan 28, 2020, 12:01 pm

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
If I'm seeing correctly, there are just a few small handful of flights into and out of DSM on Southwest, mostly to St. Louis (although the poster above me found they go to Las Vegas too). Even to an enormous hub such as MDW, you have to change planes in STL. Not super handy.

I would say, try American which looks to be the dominant carrier there.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 12:36 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
DSM only has non stops to DEN, LAS, PHX, and STL.

Any other destinations will be a connection
Old Jan 28, 2020, 12:37 pm

Southwest flies non-stop from DSM to DEN, LAS, PHX, and STL. You can find this information for any city by going to this page: https://www.southwest.com/flight/routemap_dyn.html, clicking on "list view," and checking your departure city.

Edited to add: Looks like PAX62 beat me to the list of non-stop cities.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
OP talked about LOTS of destination... which there are.

Not sure where they want to go, but like from many cities, you have to connect somewhere.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

I just tried DSM - BZE and received:

No flights available

There were no available flights found that match your search criteria
then DSM - HRL and couldn't find a single r/t flight in the next 5 months.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iowa guy
I just tried DSM - BZE and received:

then DSM - HRL and couldn't find a single r/t flight in the next 5 months.

Wish you had shown that city first. Apparently that is not a city you can fly to, at least easily.

Harlngen is a very, very small airport. And DSM is not exactly a hub.

Sorry.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 6:19 am

Programs: LTP, PP
You CAN do it, you'll need to build your own routing and potentially stay overnight somewhere. First step is to determine the city (cities) they fly to/from BZE, then position yourself there. Whether it makes logistical or financial sense is up to you. For many of us flush with points or a CP, it can skew the equation.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 6:19 am

Southwest's website doesn't work well (if at all) with overnight stays en-route. But sometimes you have to do it the old fashioned way: Do it yourself.

Book DSM-STL on Flight 546, Depart DSM 4:30PM, arrive STL 5:10PM. Sleep in the terminal or at nearby hotel.

Next day, on a separate reservation, fly STL-BZE on flight 4783, changing to 629 at FLL. Depart STL 5:10AM, arrive BZE 12:25PM.

This is based on a few random dates I picked in February.

When you have only a VERY few flights a day out of DSM, you are limited by whatever connections are still available at those few airports you can fly to.

Have you considered flying American?
Old Jan 29, 2020, 6:35 am

Are DEN and PHX seasonal destination from DSM? Because I haven't found nonstops to those places from DSM for any of the dates I've looked.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
Southwest's website doesn't work well (if at all) with overnight stays en-route. But sometimes you have to do it the old fashioned way: Do it yourself.
It doesn't work at all because Southwest doesn't allow for overnight connections (or anything over 4 hours) on one fare. That is why you need to book as separate reservations (or use multi-city). The legacy carriers allow for connections up to 24 hours on international itins which permits more flexibility with connections to destinations which get only one flight per day. There are also often cases where there are valid connections, but Southwest won't price it out or doesn't have any published fares on the route.
ryw and TXJeepGuy like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 29, 2020 at 6:48 am
Old Jan 29, 2020, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are DEN and PHX seasonal destination from DSM? Because I haven't found nonstops to those places from DSM for any of the dates I've looked.
Yes. They both start March 7th. PHX is Saturday only and only lasts through April 11th. DEN is once daily and continues through end of schedule.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by xliioper
It doesn't work at all because Southwest doesn't allow for overnight connections (or anything over 4 hours) on one fare.
Thanks for confirming. I wasn't sure if it was absolute or if there were certain exceptions.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]

Book DSM-STL on Flight 546, Depart DSM 4:30PM, arrive STL 5:10PM. Sleep in the terminal or at nearby hotel.

Next day, on a separate reservation, fly STL-BZE on flight 4783, changing to 629 at FLL. Depart STL 5:10AM, arrive BZE 12:25PM.

This is based on a few random dates I picked in February.

When you have only a VERY few flights a day out of DSM, you are limited by whatever connections are still available at those few airports you can fly to.

Have you considered flying American?
Or Delta through ATL? Or United through ORD or IAH? All of these are options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.