FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Shades Open Policy: Change It? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/2005877-shades-open-policy-change.html)

LegalTender Jan 23, 2020 1:36 pm

Shades Open Policy: Change It?

Most non-US airlines require passengers to keep window shades open during critical phases of flight. UA enforces this rule from February 1st.

I prefer to see the last minute of approach and avoid "surprise" landing impact. The emergency evacuation dimension is arguable, but widely cited.

Should WN mandate 'shades open' during taxi, takeoff and landing?

A318neo Jan 23, 2020 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender (Post 31986556)
Most non-US airlines require passengers to keep window shades open during critical phases of flight. UA enforces this rule from February 1st.

I prefer to see the last minute of approach and avoid "surprise" landing impact. The emergency evacuation dimension is arguable, but widely cited.

Yes

trouble747 Jan 23, 2020 2:12 pm

I'd say no; WN planes get hot enough as it is sitting on the tarmac (at least here in Texas).

Tanic Jan 23, 2020 2:17 pm

HA is another U.S. airline that requires window shades open for takeoff and landing. It makes sense.

If there is a taxi or runway incident, pax and FAs need to look quickly to see if there are flames outside the fuselage and which emergency exits to open or not.

Often1 Jan 23, 2020 2:17 pm

It's a basic safety measure on most carriers worldwide. People are better able to orient themselves in an emergency, can see the surroundings and not exit on a side where there is danger.

Similarly, the same carriers ask passengers to close the shades and turn on the vents before they disembark as that helps to keep the aircraft slightly cooler while it is parked.

steved5480 Jan 23, 2020 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender (Post 31986556)

Yes Sir.

NoStressHere Jan 23, 2020 2:57 pm

Whatever folks want.

I get the REMOTE possibility of an unexpected accident upon landing and the remote possibility of having the chance to look outside and make a determination.

flg8rmatt Jan 23, 2020 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31986733)
It's a basic safety measure on most carriers worldwide. People are better able to orient themselves in an emergency, can see the surroundings and not exit on a side where there is danger.

Similarly, the same carriers ask passengers to close the shades and turn on the vents before they disembark as that helps to keep the aircraft slightly cooler while it is parked.

I was in Ethiopia in 2000-2001 and we had to close our window shades because of the war with Eritrea. They didn't want pax snapping photos or even seeing military assets on the ground.

​​​​It was odd landing and taking off without being able to see what was happening.

ursine1 Jan 24, 2020 12:18 am

I'm almost always in a window seat. On Southwest I'm often asked to raise the shade for landing, and also often hear a PA announcement to lower them after landing to help control cabin heat. There hasn't really been a pattern, so I suspect Southwest doesn't have an official policy, or if it does that it's a low priority. I'm not sure that this particular news item will trigger any change.

LegalTender Jan 24, 2020 6:42 am

Prohibits use of the window shade in the closed position to anchor an iPad so you can take time lapse videos of the takeoff. :(

Cledaybuck Jan 24, 2020 6:51 am

I'm having a hard time believing there is any REAL safety benefit.

nd2010 Jan 24, 2020 9:54 am

There is a benefit. If someone (such as a deadheading Pilot) sees something abnormal on the wings they can alert the flight attendant.

LegalTender Jan 24, 2020 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere (Post 31986883)
I get the REMOTE possibility of an unexpected accident upon landing and the remote possibility of having the chance to look outside and make a determination.

I get the REMOTE possibility of needing an onboard defibrillator. No anecdotal basis is widely known for putting phones in "Airplane Mode" on departure.

Tray tables, seat backs and dangling phone cables impair evacuations. Closed shades harm situational awareness. FAs are tasked with the daunting feat to evacuate an aircraft in 90 seconds or less.The jury is out on this?

Cledaybuck Jan 24, 2020 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by nd2010 (Post 31989903)
There is a benefit. If someone (such as a deadheading Pilot) sees something abnormal on the wings they can alert the flight attendant.

So we should require everyone to open their shades AND look out the window?

Often1 Jan 24, 2020 1:44 pm

UA has adopted this policy as of 1 February.

The risks are, of course, minimal. But, the consequences enormous. As with most flight safety rules and policies.