Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

FAA Lowered Bar for SWA Approvals, Complaint Alleges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2020, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass

https://www.wsj.com/articles/faa-low...ness_lead_pos1

The Wall Street Journal
January 22nd, 2020 11:07am Herb Time

FAA Lowered Bar for Southwest Airlines Approvals, Complaint Alleges

Whistleblower says regulators sped approval of Hawaii flights for ‘the financial benefit of the airline’

U.S. air-safety regulators likely acted improperly in the way they authorized Southwest Airlines to begin flights between California and Hawaii last year, according to the main government agency that handles federal whistleblower complaints.

The preliminary conclusion by the Office of Special Counsel pertains to a Federal Aviation Administration employee’s allegations that agency managers gave the carrier preferential treatment by rushing the approval process and cutting corners in other ways. The counsel’s staff “found a substantial likelihood of wrongdoing” by FAA employees, according to one document, among several documents and emails between staff and the whistleblower reviewed by The Wall Street Journal. The inquiry hasn’t been made public.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Intereresting...

Seems like the "rollout" of Hawaii took many, many years.

Of course, I have no idea what and where the holdups were. LOL!
Old Jan 22, 2020, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere

Of course, I have no idea what and where the holdups were. LOL!
It's in the article.

"The 35-day partial government shutdown threatened to derail the final push. Costs mounted as the process dragged on, because Southwest had already invested in airport improvements in Hawaii and other startup costs, but wasn’t yet able to offer flights to the islands. FAA managers revved up pressure to meet accelerated deadlines once federal employees returned to work after the furloughs."

The FAA allegedly oversaw six demonstration flights with crews who lacked the necessary 737 pilot licenses and "had less specific knowledge about Southwest operations than local FAA employees."
Old Jan 22, 2020, 1:59 pm

It's a little late now. It's unlikely the FAA is gonna suddenly tell Southwest that they can't fly those routes for a while.

On the other hand, if the FAA people didn't follow their standards in granting approval, they deserve to be fired.
dlaue likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 3:41 pm

I wouldn't rule out disgruntled FAA employees in Dallas where they recently fired some senior people.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 8:34 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Maybe the only perceived shortcut is that the FAA has the rules and desk training so well defined, that by the time of the test flights they already know the airline is 99.9999% going to pass.

I believe Southwest had quite a few employees non-rev in passenger seats on at least one of these FAA test flights. This was surely within the rules, but it helps to show that the inspectors treat it as a more casual flight (without paid passengers) just ticking off a requirement box.

The WN pilots I've flown with to Hawaii - from the check airmen and captains on the launch flight, to the crews that flew us last weekend -- are among the most experienced in the system.

Last edited by expert7700; Jan 24, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Old Feb 12, 2020, 2:08 pm

DOT's IG report is out:

Southwest, FAA Slammed for Long-Standing Safety Failures

Among those inspectors’ comments included in the IG’s report is one describing Southwest’s safety culture as one that depends on “diversion, distraction, and power to get what the company wants.” Another comment from an inspector was that “Southwest’s attitude toward FAA appears to take the form of ‘I’ll respond to you when I damn well please.’”
Old Feb 12, 2020, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Experience isn't the issue.

No doubt that WN has the capability not to compromise safety. But, it takes a corporate culture of compliance and that is clearly lacking at WN.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Often1
Experience isn't the issue.

No doubt that WN has the capability not to compromise safety. But, it takes a corporate culture of compliance and that is clearly lacking at WN.
",,,,corporate culture of compliance and that is clearly lacking at WN..."

Source?
Old Feb 12, 2020, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
",,,,corporate culture of compliance and that is clearly lacking at WN..."

Source?
Did you read the linked articles?
IndyHoosier likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.