Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Flight 623 from mdw-las diverted to den for medical emergency

Old Jan 17, 20, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak

I am onboard this flight. The crew has been professional and outstanding through out the entire experience. The passengers are handling it well. This is my first experience like this and I was thoroughly impressed by the the flight attendants. They took it to a new level. The pilot nailed the landing too.

As soon as we landed and it was appropriate I turned on my phone and I was already rebooked on my flight to San Diego.

A+ for SWA so far.
Old Jan 18, 20, 10:31 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Southwest A-list Preferred, Delta Million Miler
Originally Posted by Steve Weagant View Post
I am onboard this flight. The crew has been professional and outstanding through out the entire experience. The passengers are handling it well. This is my first experience like this and I was thoroughly impressed by the the flight attendants. They took it to a new level. The pilot nailed the landing too.

As soon as we landed and it was appropriate I turned on my phone and I was already rebooked on my flight to San Diego.

A+ for SWA so far.
I’ve flown on multiple “medical emergency” flights on WN over the years. In every case I was deeply impressed with the professionalism displayed by the FA’s. On my last flight we had a medical emergency and unfortunately the PAX expired. You could see the sorrow in the FA’s eyes. They went above and beyond to provide as much care as humanly possible. I gave each FA a kick tail voucher for their efforts. It’s comforting to know that FA’s are trained to handle medical emergencies and are there for our safety and protection.
Old Jan 18, 20, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
How do you give an employee one of these voucher?

I would have liked to have done that for several yesterday. In addition to the crew on the diverted flight there were people who proactively rebooked me on the later flight so I could get to my final destination of San Diego. There was also a gate agent in Las Vegas who moved me to an earlier flight once I arrived in Las Vegas.
Old Jan 18, 20, 5:29 pm

SW sends out kick tail coupons in the mail just like drink coupons.
Old Jan 19, 20, 10:55 am

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Meanwhile on a recent flight I had my headphones in and in a half asleep stupor and was shocked awake by a fight attendant SCREAMING in panic over the PA...she was asking if there was a doctor or nurse on board but it was a rude awaking and shocking how uncontrolled and emotional she was.

PAX did not end up needing a divert but holy cow...that is not a flight I would have wanted to be on with that FA if there was an ACTUAL emergency. Everyone on the plane was "WT.F was that???" It was beyond unprofessional and unreasonably panicked a lot of passengers....and I am as even keeled as they come.
Old Jan 19, 20, 11:10 am

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by PAX62 View Post
Meanwhile on a recent flight I had my headphones in and in a half asleep stupor and was shocked awake by a fight attendant SCREAMING in panic over the PA...she was asking if there was a doctor or nurse on board but it was a rude awaking and shocking how uncontrolled and emotional she was.

PAX did not end up needing a divert but holy cow...that is not a flight I would have wanted to be on with that FA if there was an ACTUAL emergency. Everyone on the plane was "WT.F was that???" It was beyond unprofessional and unreasonably panicked a lot of passengers....and I am as even keeled as they come.
Yea, some people just can not speak in public. I have witnessed a few inflight issues, and they usually announce in a calm professional manner.
Old Jan 19, 20, 10:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Originally Posted by Steve Weagant View Post
I would have liked to have done that for several yesterday. In addition to the crew on the diverted flight there were people who proactively rebooked me on the later flight so I could get to my final destination of San Diego. There was also a gate agent in Las Vegas who moved me to an earlier flight once I arrived in Las Vegas.
Message wn with as much info as you have.
Old Jan 20, 20, 1:06 am
Suspended

Programs: SkyMiles, Global Entry, Non-Rev
Originally Posted by boeing727 View Post
I’ve flown on multiple “medical emergency” flights on WN over the years.
That's not exactly a good thing nor does it make me want to book a WN flight if there's a good possibility someone is going to be ill enough to where we won't make our final destination.
Old Jan 20, 20, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaConnection View Post
That's not exactly a good thing nor does it make me want to book a WN flight if there's a good possibility someone is going to be ill enough to where we won't make our final destination.
I don't think WN has any monopoly on medical emergencies in flight. The only one I've ever experienced was on AA. That's one in 40 years of flights.
joshua362 and Rd3 like this.
Old Jan 20, 20, 7:18 am

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Wow.

You really think WN has more people that are having issues? Or that your chance of not getting to your destination on time is higher on WN?
Old Jan 20, 20, 8:14 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by NoStressHere View Post
Wow.

You really think WN has more people that are having issues?
Must be all those folks hoping for the Miracle of Flight... Or maybe they're the #1 airline amongst the sickly and infirm (there's a demographic for everything!).
joshua362 likes this.

Last edited by Peoriaman1; Jan 20, 20 at 8:19 am
Old Jan 20, 20, 12:56 pm

You truly must be joking.
joshua362 and NoStressHere like this.
Old Jan 20, 20, 1:36 pm

I have been on about 5 flights with a medical emergency. Nobody died on the plane but one was clearly an emergency. My estimate based on my own experiences are that one in 500 flights have a medical emergency.
Old Jan 20, 20, 1:49 pm

+/- 100 WN flights a year for at least 15 years. One medical emergency that was handled professionally and didn’t require a diversion. Not much of an issue IMO.
Old Jan 20, 20, 9:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: SkyMiles, Global Entry, Non-Rev
Originally Posted by NoStressHere View Post
Wow.

You really think WN has more people that are having issues? Or that your chance of not getting to your destination on time is higher on WN?
Originally Posted by smmrfld View Post
You truly must be joking.
If the poster in question has had nearly 1000 flights on WN and they only had medical incidents on like 5 flights, it's not so bad.

If the poster in question has only flown WN like 40 times and 5 of those times resulted in medical emergencies, that is not so good.

And no, I am not saying this is a WN thing, my one and only "medical issue" flight was on Delta and we didn't need to divert, I'm just saying I don't hear of posters over on the other airline sub forums saying that a bunch of their flights have resulted in "multiple medical emergency flights".

Search this Thread
Search Engine: