Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LCC Allegiant expanding into SW territory

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2020, 8:20 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by guv1976
Have you heard about this service, which lets you insure against IRROPS on Allegiant (and Spirit, Frontier, etc.) for $19 one way?

https://www.getfreebird.com/travelers/
I tried to get a quote for a St. Petersburg>Niagara Falls flight I have in April, but that “insurance” isn’t available with that set of airports. Both of these airports are only served by LCC’s, so I’m guessing that’s the reason they won’t cover that flight. I’d be willing to do Tampa>Buffalo as an insurance backup.

Last edited by birdiedouble; Jan 15, 2020 at 8:25 pm
Old Jan 15, 2020, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
One strategy if you fear Allegiant IRROPS (certainly a reasonable concern) from a WN airport: Also book a WN flight on points for some time later in the day. If your Allegiant goes, cancel the WN.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:31 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by guv1976
Have you heard about this service, which lets you insure against IRROPS on Allegiant (and Spirit, Frontier, etc.) for $19 one way?

https://www.getfreebird.com/travelers/
How is Freebird any different than the travel interruption insurance offered by premium travel credit cards?
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by diver858
How is Freebird any different than the travel interruption insurance offered by premium travel credit cards?
If I interpret their business model correctly, they are buying your flight in the event of a cancellation so no out of pocket required at the time of cancellation. With trip interruption service I believe you would need to buy the new flight and then make an insurance claim back to your card, so this is theoretically easier. I have no experience with this company but it sounds potentially useful for one offs where you have a lot of concern about reliability.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 2:12 pm
Original Member

The Wall Street Journal just ranked Allegiant #4 out of the 9 largest domestic airlines, besting JetBlue, United and of course, American. Since killing off the MD80s, their performance numbers (reliability, profitability, etc) have skyrocketed.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:10 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
For those of you whining about Allegiant’s past safety record....let’s not forget Southwest has had quite a few scandals involving skipping maintenance on their fleet. Additionally I don’t recall a women getting sucked out of the window on an Allegiant flight.

Now I will say, I have never flown Allegiant because they don’t go to Atlanta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.