Southwest hotel portal, companion pass

Old Jan 11, 20, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Southwest hotel portal, companion pass

Good day! Forgive me, as I'm a newbie to Southwest and the companion pass. I was just approved for the Southwest card with 75k signup bonus, which after the required spend will leave me 45k short of the companion pass. I will have some upcoming hotel stays in 2021, that if I were to gain the bonus points through the hotel portal, should bring me close to the companion pass goal. So my question is, if I book the hotel in 2020 for a stay in 2021, and book a nonrefundable rate that immediately charges my card, will my bonus points count toward my 2020 companion pass goal, or will it only be after my actual stay. On the hotel portal it states that it may take up to 8 weeks after the hotel stay for accounts to be credited, but I wasn't sure if that included nonrefundable rates that are charged at time of booking. Thanks for any feedback!
Old Jan 11, 20, 12:10 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by duceno1 View Post
Good day! Forgive me, as I'm a newbie to Southwest and the companion pass. I was just approved for the Southwest card with 75k signup bonus, which after the required spend will leave me 45k short of the companion pass. I will have some upcoming hotel stays in 2021, that if I were to gain the bonus points through the hotel portal, should bring me close to the companion pass goal. So my question is, if I book the hotel in 2020 for a stay in 2021, and book a nonrefundable rate that immediately charges my card, will my bonus points count toward my 2020 companion pass goal, or will it only be after my actual stay. On the hotel portal it states that it may take up to 8 weeks after the hotel stay for accounts to be credited, but I wasn't sure if that included nonrefundable rates that are charged at time of booking. Thanks for any feedback!
Points post after stay is complete. Doesn't matter if it's a prepaid non-refundable booking or not.
Old Jan 11, 20, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Ah, bummer. Thanks!
Old Jan 11, 20, 1:09 pm

Everything you need to know: 2020 Rapid Rewards® Qualifying Transactions for 2021 Status
duceno1 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 20, 2:01 pm

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Are you not wanting to get CP earlier this year? Maybe no flights?

Another way to get there if you want to earn it sooner is another card - which is what most people do.

(yes, there are also lots that get there via flights, spend, hotels, etc)
Old Jan 11, 20, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all! Due to 5/24, I don’t believe I would be approved for another card. I assume you are referring to a business card? Please excuse my ignorance, but can one do so without using for a business?
AsiaTraveler likes this.
Old Jan 11, 20, 7:34 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by duceno1 View Post
Thank you all! Due to 5/24, I don’t believe I would be approved for another card. I assume you are referring to a business card? Please excuse my ignorance, but can one do so without using for a business?
Yes, but not if 5/24.
Old Jan 11, 20, 10:46 pm

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Double triple check your 5/24. Any of those biz or authorized users?
Old Jan 12, 20, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoStressHere View Post
Double triple check your 5/24. Any of those biz or authorized users?
None of my cards are business cards or authorized users.
Old Jan 12, 20, 6:20 am
Original Poster

So to qualify for a business card, it seems that my ebay sales would technically qualify me. But what expenses can be used with the business card?
Old Jan 12, 20, 7:37 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Any and all. They do not care nor will be monitoring you. The more you spend, the more they make.
duceno1 and ursine1 like this.
Old Jan 12, 20, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joshua362 View Post
Any and all. They do not care nor will be monitoring you. The more you spend, the more they make.
This so far has been the case.

But when the business card T&Cs specifically say not to use it for personal expenses, and users agree to it, I predict people will get burned eventually.
Old Jan 12, 20, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
This so far has been the case.

But when the business card T&Cs specifically say not to use it for personal expenses, and users agree to it, I predict people will get burned eventually.
Maybe.

Someday.

But it will be a long battle to determine what is personal and what is business. And in the end, what is gained if they go after that? Pissed off customers. Less revenue to the bank. Etc.etc.

Really... the only difference in the card is the "name". The liability in most cases is still the individual since it has their name, signature, SS tied to it.
Old Jan 12, 20, 9:53 am

I have perused the older threads and I think I'm good but things have changed with SW so much that I wanted to confirm that if Jane books a flight with points for Joe and Joe has the companion pass (to use with Jane) then Joe can add Jane as a companion shortly after the original ticket was purchased by Jane for Joe ? This essentially negates the need for Jane and Joe to transfer points and avoids the transfer fee?
synergistic likes this.
Old Jan 12, 20, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28 View Post
I have perused the older threads and I think I'm good but things have changed with SW so much that I wanted to confirm that if Jane books a flight with points for Joe and Joe has the companion pass (to use with Jane) then Joe can add Jane as a companion shortly after the original ticket was purchased by Jane for Joe ? This essentially negates the need for Jane and Joe to transfer points and avoids the transfer fee?
Yep, Jane can use her points to book flights for anyone, including the person who has her listed as a companion.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: