Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Personal RR SUB: application denied at 23 months from different personal card bonus

Personal RR SUB: application denied at 23 months from different personal card bonus

Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Just wanted to give heads up regarding getting personal card sign up bonus. Had plus and premier, all closed. Last bonus posted Feb10 2018.
Applied on board for priority since I never had that specific card.
Just got denial in mail stating ineligible since received bonus less within 24 months. Thought i was safe since it was a slightly different branded card. Is this true? I'm hoping I will just wait to end of feb to apply.
Is this something new?
TIA
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:29 pm

https://thepointsguy.com/news/new-re...-credit-cards/

Specifically, starting Thursday, April 5 [2019], you’re now no longer eligible to open a Southwest consumer credit card if either of the following conditions apply:

1. You are a current Southwest consumer credit cardholder; or
  2. You have earned a new cardmember bonus on a Southwest consumer credit card in the last 24 months.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks

Thank you.
I wasn't sure if having a different type of personal card would eliminate the 24 month wait. Luckily it runs out mid February.
Now I need to figure out if I can apply for the same card I was denied for last week or a different one.
Still within 5/24
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:05 pm

I'm trying to understand all the rules around the bonus as well, since they are so lucrative. I understand what the rules state literally - but sometimes they aren't executed in the same fashion so was wondering if anyone had first hand experience?

Let's consider an example - If I've had a Southwest Personal card for lets say three years - so my last personal bonus was well beyond 24 months, and lets say I cancel the card today. Can I reapply in theory in the next few days after cancellation and be eligible for bonus on my new application? Can I apply for the exact same card I cancelled or will it have to be a different personal flavor (i.e. priority vs premier)?

If you're not eligible for the sign up bonus - do they reject your application completely or what I'd be most afraid of is there a possibility that they approve you, but not for the bonus - I would hate to do the spend requirement and not get anything for it. Or if they tell you up front that you aren't eligible for bonus but still give you a card, I would not want to have that card wasting a 5/24 spot since Chase has plenty of other useful cards to apply for.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by cmjaffe
Thank you.
I wasn't sure if having a different type of personal card would eliminate the 24 month wait. Luckily it runs out mid February.
Now I need to figure out if I can apply for the same card I was denied for last week or a different one.
Still within 5/24

You can apply for the same card as soon as the 24 months passes...........my brother messed up a year or so back and applied too early for the IHG and was denied the card, a week after the 24 month passed he was approved for the same card and received the SUB

If you are under 5/24 you can get any Chase card as long as the correct amount of time has passed since your last bonus .............with the exception of Marriott which has some rules concerning the AMEX version of the card.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:30 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by cmjaffe
Just wanted to give heads up regarding getting personal card sign up bonus. Had plus and premier, all closed. Last bonus posted Feb10 2018.
Applied on board for priority since I never had that specific card.
Just got denial in mail stating ineligible since received bonus less within 24 months. Thought i was safe since it was a slightly different branded card. Is this true? I'm hoping I will just wait to end of feb to apply.
Is this something new?
TIA
Consider this a blessing that you didn't get approved. There are referrals that are offering 75,000 points. These offers end Feb 18th. Since your last bonus posted on Feb 10th 2018, you probably can snag one of these offers instead.
synergistic likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Yes!

So with the new bonus offering it is indeed a blessing. Esp with the 6 months needed for the second bonus -- got the business 80k bonus card which should post soon. Now need to wait for Feb 12 and make sure under 5/24 for chase.
Now need to decide what to do with sapphire cards. Reserve isn't really worth the 550. Need to see when annual fee hits.
C

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.