Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Sf Gate Headline: "Southwest Airlines ranks last for safety among US airlines"

Old Jan 3, 20, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond

"It’s probably no surprise that a new global safety study concluded that for 2020, Qantas is the world’s safest airline (remember that famous discussion in the movie “Rain Man”?). But it’s definitely a surprise that Southwest Airlines ranked so far down on the AirlineRatings.com list – dead last among U.S. carriers – earning only three out of a possible seven stars."

Link to article.

Airline ratings page. (sort by ranking to quickly find SWA)
Old Jan 3, 20, 10:25 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Southwest A-list Preferred, Delta Million Miler
I can’t believe Allegiant came out better than WN. I hated to read this article. I love WN.
Old Jan 3, 20, 10:37 am

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Like most rankings, there is more to the story. Headlines are for attention getting, not reporting.

WN had a fatality - ONE fatality over the past ten years when part of the engine came off.

AND the biggest hit to their rating is that WN does not do the IOSA certification/auditing.

“Registering for IOSA certification and auditing is not mandatory,” AirlineRatings.com noted. “Therefore an airline that does not have IOSA certification may have either failed the IOSA audit or alternatively chosen not to participate.”
kennycrudup and rickg523 like this.
Old Jan 3, 20, 11:16 am
Original Poster

I am an SWA fan & hesitated submitting the post, but assumed somebody would wind up doing it. It was disappointing to me that SWA was cherry picked out of the article by the SF "paper".

//just flew round trip OAK->DAL->LGA with Mrs Wingrider as my CP for a NYC weekend. The flight & crew were fantastic and I even gave out a kick tail voucher.

///Bummer this Max thing is really gumming up the works.
Old Jan 3, 20, 11:20 am

Maybe I'm just way too cynical, but I've never cared for lists of any kind. They keeping ranking SQ number 1, and I keep wondering why.

PS - Naturally, not even going to click the link, let alone read it as I get ready for my next WN short intra CA flight.
Old Jan 3, 20, 11:30 am

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
One other thing... when you are the BIGGEST domestic carrier, odds are something will happen. Just sayin.
kimberlyrose and NextTrip like this.
Old Jan 3, 20, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
.... PS - Naturally, not even going to click the link, let alone read it as I get ready for my next WN short intra CA flight.
I'd get on an SWA plane today- in fact getting on one next Tuesday for work. The article doesn't change my plans in the least.
Old Jan 3, 20, 11:36 am

RE: MSM

I've been bearish on them my entire life and long before it was even popular to dis them en masse.
Old Jan 3, 20, 6:28 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by boeing727 View Post
I can’t believe Allegiant came out better than WN. I hated to read this article. I love WN.
Allegiant has replaced their ancient Mad Dogs with somewhat certified pre-owned Airbuses and is less hoopty than they used to be
Old Jan 3, 20, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Allegiant has replaced their ancient Mad Dogs with somewhat certified pre-owned Airbuses and is less hoopty than they used to be
"...less hoopty"

*golf clap*
iadisgreat likes this.
Old Jan 3, 20, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
IMHO - The rating system is not accurate. At the minimum, I have serious doubt on how WN ends up with the same level as ET.

However, I indeed agree with the SF Chronicle that WN is the worst for safety among US airlines.

Why?

Counting all aviation incidents related to passenger travel for the last 10 years, WN ranks top in term of numbers of incidents. The only fatality in the U.S. for passenger travel for the last 10 years also came from WN.

Sure - in many instances, WN was not directly involved in the incidents. And they have also been cleared by NTSB. Still, a safe airline should take an approach that avoids all incidents as much as possible. It is an airline's failure in safety to have any kind of incidents.

If you use this simple formula, WN is indeed ranked the lowest among US airlines.
Old Jan 4, 20, 2:21 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Tit Forever, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Wingrider View Post
[WN] was cherry picked out of the article by the SF "paper".
Isn't the SFBA the defacto home of UA? ... just sayin'

~115 WN segments last year ... <checks pulse> ... yup- still alive!
steved5480 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 20, 11:34 pm

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN A List
The rating system awards seven possible stars for an airline. Participating in an IATA safety audit program counts as three of the stars — you get all of them or none of them. SWA has famously over many years stayed out of IATA and automatically loses three stars using the rating website’s simple-minded method.
trooper likes this.
Old Jan 5, 20, 1:30 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Originally Posted by Justin026 View Post
The rating system awards seven possible stars for an airline. Participating in an IATA safety audit program counts as three of the stars — you get all of them or none of them. SWA has famously over many years stayed out of IATA and automatically loses three stars using the rating website’s simple-minded method.
Seriously, any methodology that has SWA less safe than TAAG is suspect.
Also, every loss of life seems to count the same. Asiana's SFO crash caused by pilot incompetence counts the same as SWA's fan blade failure while WN was following recommend maintenance schedules. Or Ethopian's entire plane loss counts the same as 1 person dying on a WN plane.
LegalTender likes this.
Old Jan 5, 20, 9:06 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
No question that flying any US carrier is by far the safest form of transportation, WN has some of the most experienced pilots. With that said, not all carriers are as regimented about maintenance, which I believe has some bearing on such studies, on-time performance - just so happens that WN lags in both.

Doubters should do some research on the number of WN FAA fines, citations. Kelly has a reputation for stretching / pushing the limits on maintenance schedules and protocols, use of offshore contractors. Also useful to understand the cause of the fatality, prior such engine incidents in WN.

At the end of the day, the FAA can only do so much, such surveys, bad press after an incident are about the only other ways to hold management accountable.
isaac.chambers likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: