Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A-List & CP

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:27 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Wow. What city pairs do you fly the most?

Our A-list this year was rarely worse than a-30 over maybe 50 flights. I think there might have been 1 or 2 that went higher and maybe one was a B. We did the free A1-15 on that one.
Out of MDW at the times I fly, most of the airport is business and A-list.
MikeW_ORD likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ursine1

The more I think about this the more I'm astounded.

A-List has always been difficult to achieve, requiring actual travel to earn. Even in the case of status matches, those were limited to three months and required proof of status from another carrier. Now, they've just given a seemingly large number of people status for half of the year...
Weird things going on out there. Some of us Hyatt Globalists just got handed AA EXP for free, which I then used to get the A-List challenge. I have not had a paid AA flight in at least 5 years, though I did earn EXP in 3 weeks in 2012 because of that crazy triple EQM offer.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 5:52 pm

I had reached out to Southwest before posting here, below is the reply I just received, fyi...

On December 30, 2019, select Rapid Rewards Credit Cardmembers were awarded promotional A-List status through June 30, 2020 as a ‘thank you’ for their loyalty.

Members who were awarded A-List as part of this promotion will receive a Rapid Rewards Email Update (RREU) notifying them of their status on January 10. Members will also receive the promotional A-List letter via postal mail the first week of January.
  • This is an exclusive offer only available to targeted Cardmembers
  • Select Cardmember accounts were adjusted to A-List on December 30, 2019. Registration is not required
  • To maintain A-List status, Cardmembers must meet normal requirements for A-List qualification (25 one-way qualifying flights or 35,000 Tier qualifying points)
It looks to me now like this is coming from Chase, not Southwest. I wonder how much they paid Southwest for each person's 6-month status?
Old Jan 7, 2020, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
...It looks to me now like this is coming from Chase, not Southwest. I wonder how much they paid Southwest for each person's 6-month status?
I do not see anything that looks like Chase is doing this vs Southwest. Looks like it is Southwest driven to me.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:14 pm

Since this is only being given to Chase card members, I suspect it is generated by Chase. I haven't yet received the mailed notification, but that should make it a bit clearer. (In the way that drink coupons from Chase are different than the drink coupons received from Southwest.)
Old Jan 10, 2020, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I just got the confirmatory email today, Friday.

"Members will also receive the promotional A-List letter via postal mail the first week of January." This I did not get. But USPS around here is pretty slow.

Hyatt/AA gave me EXP. When it rains, it pours.

I did send over the EXP status to WN and requested the A-List challenge, which they granted a few days ago.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:53 am

Same here. Email received today, but no postal mail notification yet.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 10:51 pm

Programs: WN RR CP, AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond
I haven't received any notification, as noted above those are apparently coming later. My status never showed "pending," it just changed, on January 2nd, to "A-List."

The more I think about this the more I'm astounded.

A-List has always been difficult to achieve, requiring actual travel to earn. Even in the case of status matches, those were limited to three months and required proof of status from another carrier. Now, they've just given a seemingly large number of people status for half of the year? I'm not complaining, because I'm in that group. But if I were someone who took a mileage run in order to earn or retain my status, I might not be happy about this new group of people who are given the same status with no effort whatsoever.
Even if they have the same status, AL+ and AL check ins are ranked based on points earned during the year - as is standby. I could care less if someone else gets it for "free", they'll still be A-17 of later if I'm on the flight.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by EzPete
Even if they have the same status, AL+ and AL check ins are ranked based on points earned during the year - as is standby. I could care less if someone else gets it for "free", they'll still be A-17 of later if I'm on the flight.
And what exactly makes you so sure that you know the algorithm, which has been a mystery in this forum for years?
Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld
And what exactly makes you so sure that you know the algorithm, which has been a mystery in this forum for years?
Spending more years than this forum has been around as a RR member and early adopter of all things WN.

The “secret algorithm” is really simple, and it comes down to revenue flights/points earned on a rolling time period basis.
nsx likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:34 pm

Spending more years than this forum has been around as a RR member and early adopter of all things WN.

The “secret algorithm” is really simple, and it comes down to revenue flights/points earned on a rolling time period basis.
So you’re just guessing, along with everyone else. Got it.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 12:38 am

This is been discussed at length here, and we've seen a whole lot of data points regarding boarding position assignment and/or standby priority among A-List. There still is no consensus. What you suggest may be true, or it may not -- there is data supporting and also disproving your theory. It's completely plausible that boarding position could be ranked based on flight purchase date, or fare cost. And a large number of variables (as well as agent discretion) are involved in standby priority ranking.

As I suggested earlier in this thread, presumably Southwest could do as you suggest -- if they wanted to. That, unfortunately, does not mean that they will.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 7:18 am

Just logged onto our Southwest account and saw Alist.
Definitely did not earn it.
What does Alist get in terms of boarding?
Do we still buy Early Check in?
Old Jan 11, 2020, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by shuttercookie
Just logged onto our Southwest account and saw Alist.
Definitely did not earn it.
What does Alist get in terms of boarding?
Do we still buy Early Check in?
you get auto-checked-in at T-36, before EBCI assignments, so don’t need it, and don’t think you can buy it even if you wanted to!
Old Jan 11, 2020, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by smmrfld
So you’re just guessing, along with everyone else. Got it.
No. It's a tested hypothesis. I spent 18/19 shuttling the same route with the same crew and we built a testing model to see if we could move boarding positions up and down, which was successful. It comes down to points earned and frequency. Essentially, that brings it down to revenue generating flights - the same boarding status would hold through for standby as well.

128 flights last year, 127 I was A-16, the one time I was 17, the 16 normally flew BS, which was sold out on that flight when they booked AT, therefore they generated more revenue.

I hub out of DAL, which gets quite a bit of the SWA brass through there, multiple Gate Service executives and supervisors have also confirmed that fits with their understanding.
steved5480 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.