Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

I was THIS close to screwing up my Companion Pass

I was THIS close to screwing up my Companion Pass

Old Dec 31, 19, 3:36 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Posts: 9,340
I was THIS close to screwing up my Companion Pass

I got both the biz and personal card in October to get CP for another two years starting in mid to late January.

Bill date on both is around Jan 17th, so I figure I had until around the 12th to reach the spend. I can see the "left to spend" and "spend date" on my Chase app for the personal card. But only that card since biz on a separate account.


After reading another post saying you should check that, I went and changed accounts to see the status thing. HOLY CRAP NO PEANUTS ANYMORE! My earn date is January 3rd.

I have a charge that should clear late on 31st or maybe on the 2nd. Already shows pending.

With all that said, I am guessing even spend after the 90 day date of Jan 3 and before the statement date would have counted anyways. I surely do not want to find out the hard way.

I should know better.
NoStressHere is offline  
Old Jan 1, 20, 3:13 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 73
You have me worried now. I need to spend $20 for my spend and I was waiting until today to do it. Where do you see the spend date and left to spend?
hanly2 is offline  
Old Jan 1, 20, 5:01 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Programs: IHG,Hyatt, Hilton Diamond, Marriott, Wyndham, SPG, United, Delta, Alaska, AA, Southwest
Posts: 5,304
From what I understand the minimum spend has to be made by a certain date, anything that posts after that date does NOT count.


I always chat or SM to get my exact spend by date and for peace of mind] always try to hit it so that the Bonus posts on the statement BEFORE the spend by date,

I realize the 80K card offer expired in October so in your case having the bonus post on a statement before the spend by date wasn't an option for 2020/21 CP.
flyer4512 is offline  
Old Jan 1, 20, 5:42 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Posts: 9,340
Originally Posted by hanly2 View Post
You have me worried now. I need to spend $20 for my spend and I was waiting until today to do it. Where do you see the spend date and left to spend?

If you have the CHASE mobile app, it will show you.

As to $20 - you are counting everything very, very close?
NoStressHere is offline  
Old Jan 1, 20, 5:42 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: DEN
Posts: 122
Originally Posted by hanly2 View Post
You have me worried now. I need to spend $20 for my spend and I was waiting until today to do it. Where do you see the spend date and left to spend?
If you use the app it shows up under the account how many points to go and the the date spend needs to be completed by.
figment7 is offline  
Old Jan 1, 20, 6:09 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 73
Oh the app is cool. Idk why that's not available on the web page. Anyway I have the 80k bonus and it says I have until 1/17 so that's good lol.
hanly2 is offline  
Old Jan 1, 20, 6:32 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Programs: DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club
Posts: 1,195
Originally Posted by flyer4512 View Post

I always chat or SM to get my exact spend by date and for peace of mind] always try to hit it so that the Bonus posts on the statement BEFORE the spend by date,
This has been my typical practice, as well. However, my most recent message exchange about a Chase card bonus has a date 2 weeks AFTER the cut off date in the app. They might have honored it because I was provided bad info- but maybe not. I was glad I remembered the app info and went by that.
AsiaTraveler is offline  
Old Jan 1, 20, 7:06 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: St. Louis, MO
Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Posts: 773
When I first got approved, I emailed Chase to verify the spend by date. Before they had a chance to reply I noticed that the app had a progress bar that listed a date that was exactly 3 months from the day I had been approved. When Chase did respond, the date they gave me was approximately 3 weeks after that. If that date was true, it would have given me about 110 days total to meet that spend.

For whatever it's worth, the progress bar continued to show my total spend getting higher even though the spend by date stated on the app, and the $5,000 minimum spend had been met. This kind of makes me think the date given to me in the email was correct. Not that I would totally trust this but if it is the case, you might have been worrying for nothing.
Critterlynn is offline  
Old Jan 1, 20, 7:23 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 197
I also got the Personal and Business cards in December with the intention of completing the majority of the spending ($1k and $3k) in December.

The first two things I did:
1) SM Chase to get the ending-date for the minimum spend.
2) SM Chase to change my payment date to the 1st of the month (which set the closing date to the 4th.

I completed the spend in December between Dec 5th (1 day after the 12/4 closing date) and around Dec 20th. With the spending requirements completed, Chase will transfer the bonus points (40k and 60k) after the 1/4 closing. They should post to Southwest on 1/5.

On 1/5, after the 1/4 closing date, I'll SM Chase and change my payment date to the 20th so that I have a larger window for the 25% promo bonus (25% bonus for CREDIT CARD points that post to Southwest between 12/1 and 2/29).

By changing the payment date to the 20th, the closing date should be the 25th, and will allow a few days for Chase to transfer the points to Southwest by 2/29.
fluffyCat is offline  
Old Jan 1, 20, 8:43 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: St. Louis, MO
Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Posts: 773
Originally Posted by fluffyCat View Post
I also got the Personal and Business cards in December with the intention of completing the majority of the spending ($1k and $3k) in December.

The first two things I did:
1) SM Chase to get the ending-date for the minimum spend.
2) SM Chase to change my payment date to the 1st of the month (which set the closing date to the 4th.

I completed the spend in December between Dec 5th (1 day after the 12/4 closing date) and around Dec 20th. With the spending requirements completed, Chase will transfer the bonus points (40k and 60k) after the 1/4 closing. They should post to Southwest on 1/5.

On 1/5, after the 1/4 closing date, I'll SM Chase and change my payment date to the 20th so that I have a larger window for the 25% promo bonus (25% bonus for CREDIT CARD points that post to Southwest between 12/1 and 2/29).

By changing the payment date to the 20th, the closing date should be the 25th, and will allow a few days for Chase to transfer the points to Southwest by 2/29.
Sounds like a good plan but i don't believe you can change your due dates twice in such a short period of time. I think it's only allowed once every 180 days. Of course this only affects your 25% bonus; not the companion pass.
Critterlynn is offline  
Old Jan 2, 20, 4:40 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Posts: 9,340
Originally Posted by fluffyCat View Post
.... and change my payment date to the 20th so that I have a larger window for the 25% promo bonus (25% bonus for CREDIT CARD points that post to Southwest between 12/1 and 2/29).....
That bonus is not such a big deal for most folks. In my example, if I spend $6,000, I will get 1500 points. Yea, that is worth a bit over $20 - but still?
NoStressHere is offline  
Old Jan 2, 20, 6:28 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: St. Louis, MO
Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Posts: 773
Originally Posted by NoStressHere View Post
That bonus is not such a big deal for most folks. In my example, if I spend $6,000, I will get 1500 points. Yea, that is worth a bit over $20 - but still?
Actually it's much larger than you think. Even though the signup bonus is not supposed to count, there have been reports that it does. I had this happen myself for the fall bonus. Mine was capped at 10,000. I know others were targeted for higher offers. So essentially my signup bonus was 90,000 points. It basically allowed me to extend my CP another year with only one card. Not as good as getting it for nearly 2 years, but not bad considering im not eligible to signup for any other Southwest cards until mid 2020.
NoStressHere likes this.
Critterlynn is offline  
Old Jan 2, 20, 7:37 am
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Posts: 9,340
UPDATE to ORIGINAL POST

Paid my Q4 estimated tax online (1.78%) and it has already cleared Chase. 99.9% sure it will be on mid January statement and in my RR account 2 days later. My status bar on the app shows I made it for the 80k bonus.

Companion pass, here we come.
joshua362 likes this.
NoStressHere is offline  
Old Jan 2, 20, 1:29 pm
  #14  
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: California
Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Posts: 19,660
Originally Posted by NoStressHere View Post
Paid my Q4 estimated tax online (1.78%) and it has already cleared Chase.
I wish I could find a way to use the card to pay Q1 2020 estimated tax. Right now the menu offers only 2019.
nsx is offline  
Old Jan 2, 20, 2:13 pm
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Posts: 9,340
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
I wish I could find a way to use the card to pay Q1 2020 estimated tax. Right now the menu offers only 2019.
You could pay under 2019. Then, when you do your taxes, you will have an overpayment, right? You then apply that overpayment to your 2020 tax year. Or get it refunded.

Also, many towns let you pay property tax with a CC. Our town is at 2.5%. Not the best way to reach spend, but it works. I did it for my last $500 to make sure I hit the spend.
NoStressHere is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: