Create a connection?

Old Dec 22, 19, 12:09 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 160
Create a connection?

Looking to fly from Maui to Honolulu in the morning, then fly Honolulu to Kauai in afternoon. There is a connecting flight, but I want a longer layover to visit Pearl Harbor. Can I somehow combine the later flight I want into one connection so luggage can be transferred?
RBirns is offline  
Old Dec 22, 19, 2:33 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Posts: 9,743
Originally Posted by RBirns View Post
Looking to fly from Maui to Honolulu in the morning, then fly Honolulu to Kauai in afternoon. There is a connecting flight, but I want a longer layover to visit Pearl Harbor. Can I somehow combine the later flight I want into one connection so luggage can be transferred?
I assume you have already tried a multi city booking?

You could also book two different flights, collect your bag, then check it back in right away before leaving the airport.
NoStressHere is offline  
Old Dec 22, 19, 4:09 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: ORD, MDW or MKE
Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Hilton and Choice hotels primarily.
Posts: 6,194
Not sure of the timing, but Southwest has a 4 hour maximum for checking a bag before a flight.
lougord99 is offline  
Old Dec 22, 19, 5:19 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 160
Originally Posted by NoStressHere View Post
I assume you have already tried a multi city booking?

You could also book two different flights, collect your bag, then check it back in right away before leaving the airport.
Looking at a flight getting in at 8:15a and leaving at 3:30p
RBirns is offline  
Old Dec 22, 19, 5:31 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Programs: LTP, PP
Posts: 8,014
Originally Posted by RBirns View Post
Looking at a flight getting in at 8:15a and leaving at 3:30p
I would try checking it in at HON first then head to an airport hotel (hopefully attached) and tip nicely. Perhaps make up a story that you might be checking in later but are waiting on flights to clear, etc,
joshua362 is offline  
Old Dec 22, 19, 5:44 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Posts: 2,501
Originally Posted by joshua362 View Post
I would try checking it in at HON first then head to an airport hotel (hopefully attached) and tip nicely. Perhaps make up a story that you might be checking in later but are waiting on flights to clear, etc,
Make up a story about how they got to Huron in the first place?
joshua362 likes this.
Tanic is offline  
Old Dec 22, 19, 6:37 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 160
Checking the bags at a hotel doesn't help us. I can check them at Pearl Harbor. I'm trying to make it a seamless transfer.
RBirns is offline  
Old Dec 22, 19, 6:52 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Westchester Co, NY or Rio Grande Valley, TX or ???
Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G (via AX Plt), MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Posts: 1,871
Originally Posted by RBirns View Post
Checking the bags at a hotel doesn't help us. I can check them at Pearl Harbor. I'm trying to make it a seamless transfer.
Officially this is not possible if you arr. HNL 08:15 and depart HNL 3:30 PM, as WN will not allow connections longer than 4 hrs. If you are successful in booking via multi-city (which I'm pretty sure won't work as that has failed for me in the past when trying to book a non-standard connection on a day when a legit connection exists) there is a (tiny) chance that an agent at OGG will through-check your bags. IMO your best chance to get this to work is to use a WN skycap outside the terminal and tip nicely.
HPN-HRL is offline  
Old Dec 22, 19, 7:01 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 160
So.my best play seems to be collect my bags at 8:30, and see if a WN skycap can check them in for the 3:30 flight. Otherwise I have to schlep the bags with me to Pearl Harbor, check them there while we visit, and schlep them back.

Last edited by RBirns; Dec 22, 19 at 7:24 pm
RBirns is offline  
Old Dec 22, 19, 9:01 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Posts: 2,501
Might be worthwhile renting a car for a few hours and stash the bags in the trunk. Most major companies are inside the Terminal 2 garage on airport.
Tanic is offline  
Old Dec 22, 19, 9:01 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Westchester Co, NY or Rio Grande Valley, TX or ???
Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G (via AX Plt), MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Posts: 1,871
Originally Posted by RBirns View Post
So.my best play seems to be collect my bags at 8:30, and see if a WN skycap can check them in for the 3:30 flight. Otherwise I have to schlep the bags with me to Pearl Harbor, check them there while we visit, and schlep them back.
Not necessarily - sorry for the confusion from my earlier post. When you get to OGG, go to a WN skycap (outside the terminal), show them both of your tickets (+ cash in hand), and see if he/she will tag your bag all the way through. As OGG is such a new station, I don't think the odds of this working are better than 20%, but it's worth a shot. If it fails, then you go with plan B as you spelled out above.
HPN-HRL is offline  
Old Dec 23, 19, 12:51 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 382
Just don't collect your bag when you land at HNL....it will still be sitting there when you return.

Done that easy.
joshua362 likes this.
737MAX8 is offline  
Old Dec 23, 19, 6:55 am
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 160
Originally Posted by 737MAX8 View Post
Just don't collect your bag when you land at HNL....it will still be sitting there when you return.

Done that easy.
And how would I retrieve them and check them in for the next flight? I would be outside security already. If they're even there when I get back.

Maybe not so easy...
RBirns is offline  
Old Dec 23, 19, 7:18 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Programs: LTP, PP
Posts: 8,014
Originally Posted by RBirns View Post
And how would I retrieve them and check them in for the next flight? I would be outside security already. If they're even there when I get back.

Maybe not so easy...
Most likely they would circle in the baggage belts for a while then an employee would move them to a spot outside the baggage claim office. You go there, show the claim tags and recheck. Not the most secure thing in the world but not a free for all either. I've done this many times before while waiting in a bar for a incoming passenger from another flight. But do try checking all the way at OGG first, mention the "F9" screen if they say "I don't know how to do this"

Last edited by joshua362; Dec 23, 19 at 8:22 am
joshua362 is offline  
Old Dec 23, 19, 7:25 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: ORD, MDW or MKE
Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Hilton and Choice hotels primarily.
Posts: 6,194
Originally Posted by RBirns View Post
And how would I retrieve them and check them in for the next flight? I would be outside security already. If they're even there when I get back.

Maybe not so easy...
I have also done this many times when my bags went on an earlier flight that I was standby, but I did not get on that flight.

Your bags will also be outside security
lougord99 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: