Create a connection?

Old Dec 22, 19, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Create a connection?

Looking to fly from Maui to Honolulu in the morning, then fly Honolulu to Kauai in afternoon. There is a connecting flight, but I want a longer layover to visit Pearl Harbor. Can I somehow combine the later flight I want into one connection so luggage can be transferred?
Old Dec 22, 19, 2:33 pm

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by RBirns View Post
Looking to fly from Maui to Honolulu in the morning, then fly Honolulu to Kauai in afternoon. There is a connecting flight, but I want a longer layover to visit Pearl Harbor. Can I somehow combine the later flight I want into one connection so luggage can be transferred?
I assume you have already tried a multi city booking?

You could also book two different flights, collect your bag, then check it back in right away before leaving the airport.
Old Dec 22, 19, 4:09 pm

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Hilton and Choice hotels primarily.
Not sure of the timing, but Southwest has a 4 hour maximum for checking a bag before a flight.
Old Dec 22, 19, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoStressHere View Post
I assume you have already tried a multi city booking?

You could also book two different flights, collect your bag, then check it back in right away before leaving the airport.
Looking at a flight getting in at 8:15a and leaving at 3:30p
Old Dec 22, 19, 5:31 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Looking at a flight getting in at 8:15a and leaving at 3:30p
I would try checking it in at HON first then head to an airport hotel (hopefully attached) and tip nicely. Perhaps make up a story that you might be checking in later but are waiting on flights to clear, etc,
Old Dec 22, 19, 5:44 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by joshua362 View Post
I would try checking it in at HON first then head to an airport hotel (hopefully attached) and tip nicely. Perhaps make up a story that you might be checking in later but are waiting on flights to clear, etc,
Make up a story about how they got to Huron in the first place?
joshua362 likes this.
Old Dec 22, 19, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Checking the bags at a hotel doesn't help us. I can check them at Pearl Harbor. I'm trying to make it a seamless transfer.
Old Dec 22, 19, 6:52 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G (via AX Plt), MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Checking the bags at a hotel doesn't help us. I can check them at Pearl Harbor. I'm trying to make it a seamless transfer.
Officially this is not possible if you arr. HNL 08:15 and depart HNL 3:30 PM, as WN will not allow connections longer than 4 hrs. If you are successful in booking via multi-city (which I'm pretty sure won't work as that has failed for me in the past when trying to book a non-standard connection on a day when a legit connection exists) there is a (tiny) chance that an agent at OGG will through-check your bags. IMO your best chance to get this to work is to use a WN skycap outside the terminal and tip nicely.
Old Dec 22, 19, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

So.my best play seems to be collect my bags at 8:30, and see if a WN skycap can check them in for the 3:30 flight. Otherwise I have to schlep the bags with me to Pearl Harbor, check them there while we visit, and schlep them back.

Last edited by RBirns; Dec 22, 19 at 7:24 pm
Old Dec 22, 19, 9:01 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Might be worthwhile renting a car for a few hours and stash the bags in the trunk. Most major companies are inside the Terminal 2 garage on airport.
Old Dec 22, 19, 9:01 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G (via AX Plt), MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
So.my best play seems to be collect my bags at 8:30, and see if a WN skycap can check them in for the 3:30 flight. Otherwise I have to schlep the bags with me to Pearl Harbor, check them there while we visit, and schlep them back.
Not necessarily - sorry for the confusion from my earlier post. When you get to OGG, go to a WN skycap (outside the terminal), show them both of your tickets (+ cash in hand), and see if he/she will tag your bag all the way through. As OGG is such a new station, I don't think the odds of this working are better than 20%, but it's worth a shot. If it fails, then you go with plan B as you spelled out above.
Old Dec 23, 19, 12:51 am

Just don't collect your bag when you land at HNL....it will still be sitting there when you return.

Done that easy.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Dec 23, 19, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 737MAX8 View Post
Just don't collect your bag when you land at HNL....it will still be sitting there when you return.

Done that easy.
And how would I retrieve them and check them in for the next flight? I would be outside security already. If they're even there when I get back.

Maybe not so easy...
Old Dec 23, 19, 7:18 am

Programs: LTP, PP
And how would I retrieve them and check them in for the next flight? I would be outside security already. If they're even there when I get back.

Maybe not so easy...
Most likely they would circle in the baggage belts for a while then an employee would move them to a spot outside the baggage claim office. You go there, show the claim tags and recheck. Not the most secure thing in the world but not a free for all either. I've done this many times before while waiting in a bar for a incoming passenger from another flight. But do try checking all the way at OGG first, mention the "F9" screen if they say "I don't know how to do this"

Last edited by joshua362; Dec 23, 19 at 8:22 am
Old Dec 23, 19, 7:25 am

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Hilton and Choice hotels primarily.

Maybe not so easy...
I have also done this many times when my bags went on an earlier flight that I was standby, but I did not get on that flight.

Your bags will also be outside security

Search this Thread
Search Engine: