FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   “Landed short..” (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1998752-landed-short.html)

Wolfsrule20 Dec 7, 2019 8:55 am

“Landed short..”

So I just finished my first flight of two and we landed seemingly normal to me. It was a hard break but nothing that weird. We stopped a few feet from the gate and the pilot came on and asked us to remain seated with seatbelts fastened as “we landed a few feet short of minimum stopping distance and I have to call company.”
they let us off the plane like 5 minutes later so it’s kinda confusing to me what that was even about lol

skylane Dec 7, 2019 8:57 am

Check the brakes to make sure they weren't too hot?

Wolfsrule20 Dec 7, 2019 9:22 am

Originally Posted by skylane (Post 31815459)
Check the brakes to make sure they weren't too hot?

That’s what I was thinking. Wouldn’t that affect the outgoing flight more though?

joshua362 Dec 7, 2019 9:24 am

Probably didn't want men and machinery too close to the red hot brakes until they cooled down a bit.

lougord99 Dec 7, 2019 11:08 am

Hot brakes can and do catch fire.

Wolfsrule20 Dec 7, 2019 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99 (Post 31815823)
Hot brakes can and do catch fire.

Very thankful THAT did not happen!

danielonn Dec 7, 2019 2:36 pm

Well doesn't the Flight Computer say"Minimums"? I thought there is a proximity warning when you are about to hit the minimum length of the runway. For a shorter runway you need a longer breaking distance vs a longer runway made for a 747 a 737 needs a shorter stopping range. A 747 on a short runway would be dangerous hence why you need at least 11,000 feet. When SJC had a 8,000 Ft runway AA had a DC 10 flying to Japan an they needed to refuel at OAK because of the weights and balances for the shorter runway.

Wolfsrule20 Dec 7, 2019 5:03 pm

I’m

Originally Posted by danielonn (Post 31816437)
Well doesn't the Flight Computer say"Minimums"? I thought there is a proximity warning when you are about to hit the minimum length of the runway. For a shorter runway you need a longer breaking distance vs a longer runway made for a 747 a 737 needs a shorter stopping range. A 747 on a short runway would be dangerous hence why you need at least 11,000 feet. When SJC had a 8,000 Ft runway AA had a DC 10 flying to Japan an they needed to refuel at OAK because of the weights and balances for the shorter runway.

I have heard of that. The best guess I have is we landed very close to that margin (hence him saying a few feet short of minimum) and due to this they braked hard and the brakes got hot. Kinda interesting!

dlaue Dec 7, 2019 8:30 pm

What airport? Burbank? Midway?

bobbytables Dec 7, 2019 8:39 pm

Well doesn't the Flight Computer say"Minimums"?

The “minimums” callout means you’ve reached your minimum descent altitude (MDA) or decision altitude/height (DA/DH). Pilot flying needs to decide between land (if runway in sight) or go around by this point. It’s not really related to the length of the runway.

justhere Dec 7, 2019 11:04 pm

You're post makes no sense. All things being equal, why would a plane take more distance to stop just because the runway was shorter? :confused:

paul21 Dec 8, 2019 2:26 am

Originally Posted by justhere (Post 31817366)
You're post makes no sense. All things being equal, why would a plane take more distance to stop just because the runway was shorter? :confused:

Braking distance would be the length of runway with brakes applied not necessarily the total length the plane travels before stopping. Seems like an odd metric but really it's about where the energy is lost: drag, engine reverse, or brakes.

Wolfsrule20 Dec 8, 2019 7:57 am

Originally Posted by dlaue (Post 31817151)
What airport? Burbank? Midway?

Dallas Love-Field

Tanic Dec 8, 2019 9:30 am

The shortest runway at DAL is 7752' or 1 1/2 miles long. Field elevation 487' MSL. Unlikely runway length was a consideration.

joshua362 Dec 8, 2019 10:26 am

They might have have been asked by ATC to do so for some reason.

https://www.aopa.org/training-and-sa...erations-lahso