Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Early bird paid off this time

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2019, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Early bird paid off this time

I have to say for the first time in quite impressed with early bird. I am flying today, bought my tickets back on November 1st, I have been avoiding early bird cause it always seemed to be a crap shoot of it actually helped me but since it was a December flight I went for it. I was pleasantly surprised when I checked in yesterday to find I had A28 and A26 for my flights!
the real test will be on the 14th when I fly back...I feel like that will be a more busy day but this time I’m happy!
Old Dec 7, 2019, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Wolfsrule20
I have to say for the first time in quite impressed with early bird. I am flying today, bought my tickets back on November 1st, I have been avoiding early bird cause it always seemed to be a crap shoot of it actually helped me but since it was a December flight I went for it. I was pleasantly surprised when I checked in yesterday to find I had A28 and A26 for my flights!
the real test will be on the 14th when I fly back...I feel like that will be a more busy day but this time I’m happy!
I don't want to be a wet blanket, but IME the times I've received a truly great checkin number as a non-elite (whether early bird or at T-24) usually meant that the flight was not very full. In those cases, early bird isn't really worth it because pretty much everybody is getting their own row (or at least an empty middle) anyway. But YMMV!
Old Dec 7, 2019, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nirvana91
I don't want to be a wet blanket, but IME the times I've received a truly great checkin number as a non-elite (whether early bird or at T-24) usually meant that the flight was not very full. In those cases, early bird isn't really worth it because pretty much everybody is getting their own row (or at least an empty middle) anyway. But YMMV!
Well you are right! There was 59 free seats on my first flight, waiting for the second.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: none
Do we need a new thread every time someone buys - or doesn't buy - early boarding?
NoStressHere likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Allan38103
Do we need a new thread every time someone buys - or doesn't buy - early boarding?
Or they bought it and turns out it was money wasted?
Old Dec 7, 2019, 2:41 pm

December 14th should not be a busy travel day but the Saturday after will start to be busier as you get closer to the holidays/
Old Dec 8, 2019, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Allan38103
Sorry, I wasn’t aware there was so many threads on it. I don’t come in here frequently
Old Dec 9, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
I have to say for the first time in quite impressed with early bird. I am flying today, bought my tickets back on November 1st, I have been avoiding early bird cause it always seemed to be a crap shoot ....
Why is it a crap shoot? There are situations where its likely to be of little help but even at its worst, it still gets you ahead of the T-24 rush.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
Why is it a crap shoot? There are situations where its likely to be of little help but even at its worst, it still gets you ahead of the T-24 rush.
I say that because I don’t like spending $20 to be in the B boarding group.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar

Like I said, there are situations where EBCI is not as useful and likely not worth the money. If you're getting a B with EBCI, its probably because you bought very close to your travel date. Keep in mind that there are folks here who buy their tickets the day they go on sale; you'll be behind all of them and behind all of those who bought before you did.
Wolfsrule20 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Yep,,,, lots of pro and con to buying EarlyBird.

In the end - the one thing for sure is EVERYONE will get a seat.

On light loads, you will surely get an aisle or window.
On flights with folks that have no idea, you still will get a good seat at T-24.
If traveling as a single, chances of a good seat go way up.
Traveling with 2 people, still not bad since one will (in most cases) accept a middle seat.
Traveling with 3 folks that want to sit together... it can get rough if the flight is full.
Peoriaman1 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Yes but if EBCI gets you a B, then T-24 would be later in B or maybe even in C.

One time I checked in at T-24 and got a C. Fortunately there was exactly one window seat left waiting for me.
DoB840 and Wolfsrule20 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.