WN accused of racism toward Muslim woman

Old Dec 4, 19, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
WN accused of racism toward Muslim woman

https://www.americanbazaaronline.com...dscarf-439620/

Why am I skeptical that we have the actual story here?
Old Dec 4, 19, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post

Other than the fact that similar incidents occur with such regularity that perhaps they've become too mundane to be a "story," I don't know why you're skeptical.
Are you saying you don't believe it happened? That a woman asked a guy to swap seats, that the guy didn't mind, and that an FA went on a totally unnecessary power trip? Sounds like Tuesday in the air in the USA to me.
Old Dec 4, 19, 10:35 am

One wonders why the article chose to mention a 2015 incident also involving middle eastern men speaking Arabic, Southwers has flown around 500,000,000 passengers since then.
Old Dec 4, 19, 10:40 am

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Since none of us were there, we really do not know what happened.

We don't know if it was totally innocent, or if maybe the flight was ready to depart, or there was some other issues going on, or previous encounter between staff and customer or maybe the FA ws being a jerk. Nor do we know if the response by the FA would be the same for a non-muslim in whatever situation we have here.

We just do not know and therefore can not pass judgement.

Not defending WN or the passenger at all, but with 4,000 flights per day, there will be some issues.
nancypants and writerguyfl like this.
Old Dec 4, 19, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rickg523 View Post
Are you saying you don't believe it happened? That a woman asked a guy to swap seats, that the guy didn't mind, and that an FA went on a totally unnecessary power trip? Sounds like Tuesday in the air in the USA to me.
Correct. Having flown the airline for over 25 years, I do not believe that a Southwest FA would give the slightest crap whatsoever if two pax were willing to swap seats after quietly discussing it between themselves.

If some altercation did occur, I bet somebody who did not understand that WN has open seating was yelling about the separation of family members and was demanding special accommodation. Or maybe she was a preboarder or a non-English speaker demanding to sit in an exit row. Or the plane was going down the runway. Or something like that.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Dec 4, 19 at 11:21 am
Old Dec 4, 19, 11:27 am

Correct. Having flown the airline for over 25 years, I do not believe that a Southwest FA would give the slightest crap whatsoever if two pax were willing to swap seats after quietly discussing it among themselves.

If some altercation did occur, I bet somebody who did not understand that WN has open seating was yelling about the separation of family members and was demanding special accommodation.
Well the article states that she asked a male passenger to swap seats, that he agreed, and the FA went off. That other passengers were wondering why the FA went off. That the FA sought support from coworkers, but that, in the end, the passenger wasn't offloaded.
But, sure, rather than comment on the story as reported, we could ignore the article and make up our own story, based on our own predispositions. I for one have myself seen FA's go off for no reason (and read many more such stories right here on FT) to find that unbelievable.
But WN has some history with Muslims being offloaded because "they made someone uncomfortable by their very presence," so, in the spirit of making up my own facts and calling it a comment, I'll say the headscarf had something to do with this.
formeraa likes this.
Old Dec 4, 19, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well the article states that she asked a male passenger to swap seats, that he agreed, and the FA went off. That other passengers were wondering why the FA went off. That the FA sought support from coworkers, but that, in the end, the passenger wasn't offloaded.
But, sure, rather than comment on the story as reported, we could ignore the article and make up our own story, based on our own predispositions. I for one have myself seen FA's go off for no reason (and read many more such stories right here on FT) to find that unbelievable.
But WN has some history with Muslims being offloaded because "they made someone uncomfortable by their very presence," so, in the spirit of making up my own facts and calling it a comment, I'll say the headscarf had something to do with this.
An article/blog/whatever can say anything at all, and it means nothing. I am reminded of the hundreds of campus racism hoaxes I keep reading about that turn out to be nothing of the sort.

And I did not "make up my own facts."

I said "I bet." And I do and would.
Old Dec 4, 19, 11:57 am

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I would agree that there appears to be occassion when a FA goes off the rails. They do with white, black and brown folks. But race only seems to be mentioned when a minority.

Muslims probably do run into more problems due to some history here in America. Not saying it is right, but.....
Old Dec 4, 19, 12:18 pm

Likely reason for FA to intervene is they're ready for departure. Otherwise I can't why WN staff would care.
Old Dec 4, 19, 12:28 pm

I can see that happening with the door closed and people trying to change seats. But the article says people came form outside the plan.
Old Dec 4, 19, 1:00 pm

For argument's sake let's stipulate some kind passenger to agreed to move. Why would an FA prevent a family from sitting together because she wore a headscarf? And why would the complainant reach that conclusion? Is the journalist given to self-serving tweets about ethnic injustices? Is the FA a 'had-it-up-to-here' drill sergeant? FAs don't like to be "overruled" and can enforce a no-more-swaps order with full immunity.

Reasonableness is all we expect.

Corroboration from eye-witness pax in these incidents is almost never posted. It's almost like they have other things to do.
nawlins likes this.
Old Dec 4, 19, 7:01 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist Lite; United Club ex-Lifetime Member
I for one have myself seen FA's go off for no reason
I have not, in approximately 2000 flights on Southwest. I have seen passengers behave unreasonably several times. I can't recall seeing any passenger ejected.

Then again, I rarely fly to or from LAS or MCO.
steved5480 and Boghopper like this.
Old Dec 4, 19, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by nsx View Post
I have not, in approximately 2000 flights on Southwest.
Same.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Dec 4, 19, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

Alrighty! Don't bother his wife. They have leave her alone. Staying away from her! No one who talking about her headscarf. It's against her religious.

I'm asking you to leave everyone alone. Don't ask her to move a seat. If you see someone who got a seat. You must ask them to move a different seat. If they want to sit with her kids & her husband. Next time you have go see gate agent to get Pre-Board.
Old Dec 4, 19, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Alrighty! Don't bother his wife. They have leave her alone. Staying away from her! No one who talking about her headscarf. It's against her religious.

I'm asking you to leave everyone alone. Don't ask her to move a seat. If you see someone who got a seat. You must ask them to move a different seat. If they want to sit with her kids & her husband. Next time you have go see gate agent to get Pre-Board.
You took the words right out of my mouth. LOL.
steved5480 and joshua362 like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: