ABQ De-icing clown show

Old Nov 28, 19, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AS, Marriott
ABQ De-icing clown show

Currently on WN 5033, which has been “taxiing” two hours while waiting for de-icing. There are two Southwest de-ice trucks parked next to the plane doing nothing. Haven’t gotten an update from captain in an hour, but one update alluded to problems loading truck with de-icing fluid...

Does anyone know whether ABQ has run out of de-icing fluid? Trying to figure out whether to rebook other airline...

Other question, will WN compensate, or blame it on the weather? Planes from other airlines are sporadically taking off, so seems like this is ground crew bungling. Some folks already SOL for making it to PHL, DTW, LGA before end of day...
Old Nov 29, 19, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by esquiar View Post
Currently on WN 5033, which has been “taxiing” two hours while waiting for de-icing. There are two Southwest de-ice trucks parked next to the plane doing nothing. Haven’t gotten an update from captain in an hour, but one update alluded to problems loading truck with de-icing fluid...

Does anyone know whether ABQ has run out of de-icing fluid? Trying to figure out whether to rebook other airline...

Other question, will WN compensate, or blame it on the weather? Planes from other airlines are sporadically taking off, so seems like this is ground crew bungling. Some folks already SOL for making it to PHL, DTW, LGA before end of day...
It seems rare for ABQ to require deicing. In all my years of flying in and out of ABQ in the winter months we never had to de-ice. If a plane has to taxi for two hours for de-icing don't they have to go to the facility on Gibson Blvd for the equipment and fluid? They can also go to Kirkland Air Force Base to de-ice there Trump is paying the bill anyways(:

You have to go to the Facility located on Gibson for some more Blue Liquid
nancypants and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Nov 30, 19, 11:05 pm

Why do people feel like they need to be compensated for every little delay? And posting on this forum for every tiny little inconvenience? Bunch of freaking cry babies.
Old Dec 1, 19, 9:26 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by danielonn View Post
If a plane has to taxi for two hours for de-icing don't they have to go to the facility on Gibson Blvd for the equipment and fluid? They can also go to Kirkland Air Force Base to de-ice there Trump is paying the bill anyways(:
No clue what you’re talking about here, but de-icing fluid (type I) is orange and anti-ice fluid (type IV) is green. Blue liquid is used in the lav. There’s no way to get an airplane anywhere near Gibson Blvd. It’s all buildings over there.

Southwest can’t just go taxi an airplane over to the AFB to “borrow” their liquid either. Whomever is spraying the airplane has to be certified by the airline to deice that airplane type. So someone over at the AFB can’t just go spraying a 737.

Deicing at ABQ is pretty common in the winter, especially to knock frost off the RONs since it gets rather cold there. My guess is whatever was happening with the OP was related to the airport instead of the trucks. It wouldn’t surprise me if they waited to spray the OP’s plane while they were plowing the runways.
Old Dec 1, 19, 9:53 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by danielonn View Post
They can also go to Kirkland Air Force Base to de-ice there Trump is paying the bill anyways(:
It's Kirtland AFB.

And Trump paying for it?... now that's a good one!
Old Dec 1, 19, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by tusphotog View Post
No clue what you’re talking about here, but de-icing fluid (type I) is orange and anti-ice fluid (type IV) is green. Blue liquid is used in the lav. There’s no way to get an airplane anywhere near Gibson Blvd. It’s all buildings over there.

Southwest can’t just go taxi an airplane over to the AFB to “borrow” their liquid either. Whomever is spraying the airplane has to be certified by the airline to deice that airplane type. So someone over at the AFB can’t just go spraying a 737.

Deicing at ABQ is pretty common in the winter, especially to knock frost off the RONs since it gets rather cold there. My guess is whatever was happening with the OP was related to the airport instead of the trucks. It wouldn’t surprise me if they waited to spray the OP’s plane while they were plowing the runways.
I’ve found it best to not engage with this poster. He posts stuff like this, which shows a complete lack of understanding of many aspects of travel and provides inaccurate information to those visiting this site.
tusphotog likes this.
Old Dec 1, 19, 9:57 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Tanic View Post
It's Kirtland AFB.
Dang, I was hoping to use my Costco membership card to gain admittance and take a tour...
synergistic, ryw, smmrfld and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 1, 19, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by joshua362 View Post
Dang, I was hoping to use my Costco membership card to gain admittance and take a tour...
Actually, their de-ice is the cheapest around, but rarely worth dealing with the lines or the chaos when a 737 rolls in.
ryw and joshua362 like this.
Old Dec 1, 19, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic View Post
It's Kirtland AFB.

And Trump paying for it?... now that's a good one!
Sorry i meant Kirtland.
Old Dec 1, 19, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld View Post
I’ve found it best to not engage with this poster. He posts stuff like this, which shows a complete lack of understanding of many aspects of travel and provides inaccurate information to those visiting this site.
I was only having fun(: I understand more than you think about Travel(: Summrfld should not tell people who to engage and who not to engage with. Please ignore this comment and lets just move forward. I will hold my own ground(: Please engage with me.
Old Dec 1, 19, 3:20 pm

ABQ got a ton of snow the night into Thanksgiving. Probably wasn't expected in that volumes, and wouldn't be surprised if the airport was caught off guard. Heck, the temperature was above freezing so I'm shocked as much snow was still there all day.
Old Dec 2, 19, 8:19 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by smmrfld View Post
Actually, their de-ice is the cheapest around, but rarely worth dealing with the lines or the chaos when a 737 rolls in.
You can even return it if it doesn't meet your satisfaction!
Old Dec 2, 19, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AS, Marriott
Meh, I was just frustrated that Southwest saved $150 on labor at the cost of thousands of wasted pax-hours, and a few dozen folks missing Thanksgiving dinner.

It’s easy to accept weather delays, but it’s hard to accept bungling. The forecast was dead-on, but Southwest didn’t have the personnel to de-ice their planes, even if it had been one inch.

I do appreciate the tips re: Costco blue stuff lol
danielonn likes this.
Old Dec 3, 19, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by tusphotog View Post
You can even return it if it doesn't meet your satisfaction!
But not before consuming their Polish Hot Dogs and Frozen Yoghurt parfaits.😝
Old Dec 3, 19, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by 737MAX8 View Post
ABQ got a ton of snow the night into Thanksgiving. Probably wasn't expected in that volumes, and wouldn't be surprised if the airport was caught off guard. Heck, the temperature was above freezing so I'm shocked as much snow was still there all day.
Seriously ABQ is a dry climate on Sundays no booze before noon so of course they are not ready for snow accumulation and removal. The de ice operators needs to.look up how to operate the equipment in their outdated manuals hence the taxi to Kirtland or bring in operators from JFK or ORD. Also the operators may confuse the blue lav liquid for the de ice liquid or vice versa. At least Costco has the hot dogs and Frozen yogurt parfaits.

Props to summrfld.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: