Search

Upgraded Boarding Question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2019, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
seat saving is greedy

If you want a better seat, pay for it!
So...

Seat saving is "greedy," but getting hundreds of thousands of points and Companion Pass without ever paying for one flight isn't?

Just trying to figure out where the "greedy" line is drawn here. Because both are 100% ok with the business granting them.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by ursine1
So...

Seat saving is "greedy," but getting hundreds of thousands of points and Companion Pass without ever paying for one flight isn't?

Just trying to figure out where the "greedy" line is drawn here. Because both are 100% ok with the business granting them.
Seat saving is not okay with Southwest. The rule is that if you want to board with another person, you must board with the higher boarding position.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 10:41 pm

Seat saving is not okay with Southwest.
This is absolutely false.
flyer4512 and ursine1 like this.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I hate to see this thread get off track. There are approx 893,712 posts across 382 different threads about seat saving on this forum. Right or wrong, good or bad, WN official policy is no policy. I hope we do not have to start that argument again.

(Yea, I made up the numbers, but I think it is close-lol)
joshua362 and flyer4512 like this.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
How do you pay for EB using points?
Originally Posted by Beachchaser
You cant pay for ebci with points
I realize you can't pay for EBCI with points. All of our flights are paid for with points and CP, the ONE EBCI costs me $25

seat saving is greedy

If you want a better seat, pay for it!
When WN starts enforcing seat saving them I Will GO BACK to paying for TWO EBCI...............Until them I'll pay for ONE EBCI which is probably ONE MORE than most seat savers pay for.

The seat we save is a MIDDLE so unless there is a person(s) flying who has their sight set on a middle seat close the front of the plane I doubt it's upsetting anyone.

I don't make the rules, if you don't like them fly an airline with assigned seating, problem solved
ursine1 likes this.

Last edited by flyer4512; Nov 23, 2019 at 3:21 pm
Old Nov 23, 2019, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Seat saving is not okay with Southwest. The rule is that if you want to board with another person, you must board with the higher boarding position.
Boarding order has nothing to do with seat saving. Southwest is OPEN SEATING.
smmrfld and ursine1 like this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 12:32 pm

HOU-DAL consistently has A1-15 booked (which makes perfect sense, tbh), but there aren't very many routes like that in the rest of Southwest's itineraries.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, US CP
Exactly, it's open seating, just as nothing in theory prevents you from trying to save a seat, nothing prevents me from taking your empty "saved" seat if I board before the person you are saving it for. Note, I would never do that if someone is just taking a window/aisle and middle in a normal row, but if someone is trying to block an exit row/other seat nicer than a normal seat, I consider than seat up for grabs and I figure the other person can try to explain to the flight attendant why I shouldn't be able to take any open seat on the plane that is not claimed by a passenger who has already boarded.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 6:02 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by chasgoose
Exactly, it's open seating, just as nothing in theory prevents you from trying to save a seat, nothing prevents me from taking your empty "saved" seat if I board before the person you are saving it for. Note, I would never do that if someone is just taking a window/aisle and middle in a normal row, but if someone is trying to block an exit row/other seat nicer than a normal seat, I consider than seat up for grabs and I figure the other person can try to explain to the flight attendant why I shouldn't be able to take any open seat on the plane that is not claimed by a passenger who has already boarded.
It's a jerk move if you try to save a seat when someone else wants it. It's a jerk move to try to sit in a seat that someone else wants to save.

Nowhere are you prevented from being a jerk. In open seating, the biggest jerk wins (unless you choose to settle it like adults).
joshua362 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by Allan38103
It's a jerk move if you try to save a seat when someone else wants it. It's a jerk move to try to sit in a seat that someone else wants to save.

Nowhere are you prevented from being a jerk. In open seating, the biggest jerk wins (unless you choose to settle it like adults).
Why is it a jerk move to sit in a seat that someone else wants to save? Open seating means just that.... pick any seat you like that is unoccupied at the time you get there!
Old Dec 30, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Why is it a jerk move to sit in a seat that someone else wants to save? Open seating means just that.... pick any seat you like that is unoccupied at the time you get there!
At best, it makes for an awkward, uncomfortable flight while you sit next to the guy who was trying to save the seat you sat in for his wife.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 12:15 pm

Not sure if this is the right thread but If I purchase a Business Select outright, is the A1-A15 randomly chosen at T-24 or is there some way to get closer to 1?
Old Jan 2, 2020, 12:36 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Currently it is automatically chosen by WN, not sure if its by purchase order or some sort of price/status algorithm. It used to be by speed of checkin and was very easy to snag A01 in the past. Gone are the days...
Old Jan 2, 2020, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
Not sure if this is the right thread but If I purchase a Business Select outright, is the A1-A15 randomly chosen at T-24 or is there some way to get closer to 1?
It is actually chosen earlier than that I think. A listers and biz are selected at T-36 but you can not see them until T-24. MAYBE - I really do not know.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
It is actually chosen earlier than that I think. A listers and biz are selected at T-36 but you can not see them until T-24. MAYBE - I really do not know.
So essentially it is not known but it is considered potentially better to book it sooner rather than later?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.