Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgraded Boarding Question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
A few times BS was sold out on one leg but not the other and it would not let me buy BS as one PNR for the entire trip (a few days in advance). AT was fine. I also had a hard time believing both legs were BS "heavy".

We've thrown around the "thru passenger" theory for years but on what basis? Why would they care since BS guarantees nothing except being among the first to BOARD and they don't care when their own incoming is late. Did a programmer throw a random max number in system out of sympathy? Even with 50 thrus there would be plenty of aisles and window left.

Last edited by joshua362; Nov 21, 2019 at 7:44 am
Old Nov 20, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I'm not clear how the number of through passengers affects the number of BS seats sold.
I’m not either, but it does.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by dmbolp
I assume the logic is "you can't sell BS if there will already be a bunch of pax onboard taking up the desirable seats" but I don't think that's the case?
I don't think so either; its not a certainty that a BS flyer (or A-1 to 15 flyer) is going to automatically gravitate towards any particular seat. I realize that there are some here who will only sit in one or two particular seats, but that is the exception and not the norm.

I would think that even with 50 thrus, the airline will still gladly sell BS tickets or upgraded boarding to anyone who wants it.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
.. if you check in EXACTLY at T-24 - you still have a good shot at window or aisle.
Since whenever they set up the current boarding system, I have never failed to get an aisle seat, even with boarding position C20 or so.

Whoever dreamed up EBCI was a genius, preying on worries about getting a crappy seat. Free money. Added many billions to WN's value.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Since whenever they set up the current boarding system, I have never failed to get an aisle seat, even with boarding position C20 or so.

Whoever dreamed up EBCI was a genius, preying on worries about getting a crappy seat. Free money. Added many billions to WN's value.

100% agree. Folks really spend too much money on this. Rather amazing.

As often mentioned, boarding early can actually backfire. Once you pick your seat, you now have to worry who is going to sit next to you. Could be people with babies, or large people, etc. If you board midway through boarding, you can select the seat and already know who your seatmates are. When wife and I travel, I look for a row with some teen or smaller person already at the window and take that row.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 8:10 am

While that might be true, I really wonder what the change to variable pricing did. I can tell you what it did to me - I haven't bought EBCI since. At $15 each way, it still had some value to me, but that was the limit. So that change cost them my money. Combined with the new Chase cards that include some upgrades, I no longer have a reason to pay for EB. Perhaps WN still gets the entire upgrade fee, or WN subsidizes the credit with Chase, I don't know. But between those upgrades, T-24, and family and/or military boarding, i have no reason to pay it any longer. That might change once the kids get older and no longer qualify for family, but no one knows what the future holds.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 9:16 am

I'm not clear how the number of through passengers affects the number of BS seats sold.
It's been some years ago, but I observed that no BS was being sold well in advance on my flight MCI-MDW, which came from DAL when DAL-MDW non-stops weren't allowed. Looking further, I saw that they were selling BS on DAL-MCI on that flight, but not DAL-MDW, which would seem like an IT weakness, but the reservation system has been changed since then. Also I think people reported getting numbers in the A1-15 range on these flights without being BS.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Perhaps its to make sure they don't run out of complementary beverages on the second segment?
Old Nov 21, 2019, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
Perhaps its to make sure they don't run out of complementary beverages on the second segment?

Doubt a handful of people that get ONE free drink is going to mess things up. Also would not be surprised if some of those folks do not even bother with the free drink. We often have 2-3 glasses of wine each and they have never run out on any of our flights.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
Do the drinks they give me but never charge for count?
Old Nov 22, 2019, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

I look at it both ways, for us whoever dreamed up giving companion pass ( and hundreds of thousands of WN points) without paying for one flight is a "genius".

In our case we are paying WN $25 each way ( Total as we pay with points) knowing we will have side by side seats towards the front of the plane and not having to worry about being available at T-24.

Now we can ( hopefully) use one upgraded boarding ( and save a seat) on 4 O/W trips per year so that will offset $100 of the Annual fee, add in the 9K points per year and unlimited WIFI and this card effectively has a zero AF for us.

Others who get TSA pre may get more value.

Last edited by flyer4512; Nov 22, 2019 at 2:28 pm
Old Nov 22, 2019, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyer4512
In our case we are paying WN $25 each way ( Total as we pay with points) knowing we will have side by side seats towards the front of the plane and not having to worry about being available at T-24.
How do you pay for EB using points?
Old Nov 22, 2019, 8:43 pm

You cant pay for ebci with points
ursine1 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by flyer4512
I look at it both ways, for us whoever dreamed up giving companion pass ( and hundreds of thousands of WN points) without paying for one flight is a "genius".

Now we can ( hopefully) use one upgraded boarding ( and save a seat) on 4 O/W trips per year so that will offset $100 of the Annual fee, add in the 9K points per year and unlimited WIFI and this card effectively has a zero AF for us.

Others who get TSA pre may get more value.
seat saving is greedy

If you want a better seat, pay for it!
Sweetone likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 9:04 pm

I think he's saying the flight is paid with points, so the $25 upgraded boarding is all he's paying for the flight (plus $5.60 security fee?).
flyer4512 and ursine1 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.