FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   737 MAX (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1995841-737-max.html)

buckeyefanflyer Nov 17, 2019 11:22 am

737 MAX

Broward country mayor wants to ban 737 MAX from FLL once it is certified to fly again.

NoStressHere Nov 17, 2019 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer (Post 31746735)
Broward country mayor wants to ban 737 MAX from FLL once it is certified to fly again.

This has to be among the stranger things I have seen in some time.

The Mayor has decided he is smarter than Boeing, FAA, Pilots Union, various countries, etc. He is also sending a letter demanding certain information from Boeing as well.

Another example of too much chlorine in the gene pool.

Here is a link: https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/...564943092.html

smmrfld Nov 17, 2019 1:49 pm

LOL let us know how that works out for him.

Michael El Nov 17, 2019 2:00 pm

Worst years of my life were the two years I lived in Broward County.

jerseytom Nov 17, 2019 4:27 pm

Is he trying to make himself look like a hero that he's taking a "hard line stance" against this? Because he's making himself look like a fool.

birdiedouble Nov 17, 2019 4:51 pm

Maybe he can get after the norovirus on the cruise ships that come into port there while he's at it.

NoStressHere Nov 17, 2019 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by birdiedouble (Post 31747731)
Maybe he can get after the norovirus on the cruise ships that come into port there while he's at it.

Yea... he should ban those as well.

What a moron!

(pretty sure I have never used a word that bad on this forum)

writerguyfl Nov 17, 2019 5:59 pm

It's worth noting that the "Mayor" is largely a ceremonial position in Broward County. It's a position voted on solely by the members of the Broward Commissioners. (The Commissioners are the people that are elected by the voters.)

I'm fairly certain the "Mayor" doesn't have the authority to make that decision on his own. He'd need the backing of other members of the Broward Commissioners. Hopefully, the majority of the Commissioners will recognize the fact that this action would be subject to lawsuits from the airlines (once the aircraft is officially re-certified).

Tanic Nov 17, 2019 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere (Post 31746911)
The Mayor has decided he is smarter than Boeing, FAA, Pilots Union, various countries, etc.

By default and collectively, he may very well be smarter than Boeing and FFA. :rolleyes:

Blitzjb Nov 18, 2019 6:29 am

Thats great- bring more to PBI !

N830MH Nov 18, 2019 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by Blitzjb (Post 31749303)
Thats great- bring more to PBI !

That's stupid idea! There is no banned 737-MAX in FLL. Airlines has it right to bring 737-MAX8/9 into FLL. He has no authority from FAA or Boeing.

Vote him out! Now!

nsx Nov 19, 2019 7:57 am

Broward country mayor Florida Man wants to ban 737 MAX from FLL once it is certified to fly again.

Fixed that for you.

84fiero Nov 19, 2019 10:59 am

It's well established that state and local governments are generally prohibited from regulating aircraft operations in the US. There are some very limited exceptions, none of which would apply here. So he won't have much luck even if the city does pass anything!

EqualOpp Nov 19, 2019 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere (Post 31746911)
This has to be among the stranger things I have seen in some time.

The Mayor has decided he is smarter than Boeing, FAA, Pilots Union, various countries, etc. He is also sending a letter demanding certain information from Boeing as well.

Another example of too much chlorine in the gene pool.

Here is a link: https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/...564943092.html

Too much chlorine in the gene pool? Hahahahaha....

Actually there are far more fools....try "too much digital wireless radiation in the air" - no doubt will get blasted down by all the blind lovers...ignorance is bliss...until it isn't.

sdsearch Nov 19, 2019 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 31752830)
That's stupid idea! There is no banned 737-MAX in FLL. Airlines has it right to bring 737-MAX8/9 into FLL. He has no authority from FAA or Boeing.

Vote him out! Now!

The only people in Florida who can ban the 737 MAX are potential passengers, if they truly ALL collectively refuse to fly it, since an airline cannot afford to fly empty airplanes for long.

But given that poor sales of plane seats would lead to steeply discounted prices for those seats, I can't see this doing anything more than lowering prices on 737 MAX flights, because there's too many people who I'm sure will reconsider "never flying the MAX again" if the price is low enough.

So in the end, the question is not whether anyone will "ban" it, but rather will it suffer so much attrition that it is not possible to command profitable fares for it.

The question is: Does Southwest identify the plane you're flying reliably when you book it, the way other airlines with assigned seats do? It's going to be more crazy if people don't realize they're flying a 737 MAX until they got to the airport. (At other airlines with assigned seats, if the type of plane changes and your seat assignment has to change, you get notified by the airline that plane changed because of that. But at Southwest, where it's open seating, do they notify you if your plane type changes between booking and flying?)

steved5480 Nov 19, 2019 9:43 pm

Not currently.

N830MH Nov 26, 2019 10:08 pm

Great news! FAA says it will handle all approvals for new 737-MAX.

Boeing will resuming deliveries the 737-MAX aircraft to the airlines in December. They will put back to service in January.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...jets/40714421/

geo979 Nov 26, 2019 11:13 pm

That is NOT what the article said. Did you even read it? Why is it great news to rush a dangerous plane back into service.

smmrfld Nov 26, 2019 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by geo979 (Post 31781195)
That is NOT what the article said. Did you even read it? Why is it great news to rush a dangerous plane back into service.

Before making a further jerk of yourself, you might want to make yourself aware of the communications challenges OP (who has been around here far longer than you have) has overcome.

geo979 Nov 26, 2019 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld (Post 31781205)
Before making a further jerk of yourself, you might want to make yourself aware of the communications challenges OP (who has been around here far longer than you have) has overcome.

Um, before you make a further jerk of yourself you might want to read the article. If you do, you'll realize it will likely be quite a while before the MAX is back in service.

Boraxo Nov 27, 2019 12:21 am

I don't care if the FAA certifies the plane, I won't be boarding one for as long as WN truthfully disclose the aircraft type. Nothing really new here.

Critterlynn Nov 27, 2019 4:33 am

Originally Posted by smmrfld (Post 31781205)

And how does one do this? Are people supposed to scroll through the entire posting history of everyone we respond to just to get to know them better?

737MAX8 Nov 27, 2019 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 31781289)
I don't care if the FAA certifies the plane, I won't be boarding one for as long as WN truthfully disclose the aircraft type. Nothing really new here.

...what?

Tanic Nov 27, 2019 11:43 am

CNBC 27 Nov 2019: FAA tightens grip on Boeing with plan to individually review each new 737 Max jetliner

KEY POINTS
  • The FAA told Boeing that it plans to inspect each 737 Max plane individually.
  • The agency reiterated it has no firm time frame to certify the jets, grounded since mid-March after two crashes.
  • Boeing has said that it expects to get regulator approval this year and that it welcomes the oversight.

jmw Nov 27, 2019 12:15 pm

My trust in the FAA is lower than the Chinese authorities, who at least have a politically vested interest in finding anything bad about an American built plane.

I won't be boarding the 737max even if the FAA blesses it. I will make sure my fellow passengers at the gate know it was a last minute swap to a max. Good luck trying to rush this back into service FAA/WN/AA/UA without the blessing of the other more trustworthy non-US/Canadian regulators.

nsx Nov 27, 2019 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by jmw (Post 31783088)
I won't be boarding the 737max even if the FAA blesses it.

More seats for me. If I get 3 seats I can sleep all the way!

Unfortunately my short-haul flights rarely were allocated a MAX8 when it was flying.

Cledaybuck Nov 27, 2019 2:33 pm

My trust in the FAA is lower than the Chinese authorities, who at least have a politically vested interest in finding anything bad about an American built plane.

I won't be boarding the 737max even if the FAA blesses it. I will make sure my fellow passengers at the gate know it was a last minute swap to a max. Good luck trying to rush this back into service FAA/WN/AA/UA without the blessing of the other more trustworthy non-US/Canadian regulators.

So we trust the Chinese government more than the US or Canadian governments and grounding a plane for 9 months and counting is rushing it back into service? I would hate to see what taking their time would look like.

Tanic Nov 27, 2019 4:03 pm

Good luck trying to rush this back into service FAA/WN/AA/UA without the blessing of the other more trustworthy non-US/Canadian regulators.

Speaking of Canadian regulators, it appears that they are on to something and have determined a most rational solution for ultimately returning this airplane to service: Canadian Official Calls for Removal of Key Software From 737 Max

“MCAS has to go,” a manager at Canada’s aviation regulator said in an email to global peers, referring to software in the Boeing plane

At least with MCAS gone, pax won't have to worry about HAL9000 turning the plane into a lawn dart. Pilots will, however, have to brush up on stall recovery techniques.

oreocookies Dec 2, 2019 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 31781092)

Great news! FAA says it will handle all approvals for new 737-MAX.

Boeing will resuming deliveries the 737-MAX aircraft to the airlines in December. They will put back to service in January.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...jets/40714421/

The FAA that took Boeing's word for it before two planes crashed and were asleep at the wheel? That FAA? You view this as "great news?"

Tanic Dec 9, 2019 10:02 pm

Boeing 737 Max Was Plagued With Production Problems, Whistle-Blower Says

Ed Pierson, a former senior manager at the 737 factory, believes production problems may have contributed to two deadly crashes. He will testify before Congress on Wednesday.

Employees at the Renton, Wash., factory where the Max is produced were overworked, exhausted and making mistakes, Mr. Pierson said in an interview. A cascade of damaged parts, missing tools and incomplete instructions was preventing planes from being built on time. Executives were pressuring workers to complete planes despite staff shortages and a chaotic factory floor.

“Frankly right now all my internal warning bells are going off,” Mr.Pierson said in an email to the head of the 737 program in June 2018 that was reviewed by The New York Times. “And for the first time in my life,I’m sorry to say that I’m hesitant about putting my family on a Boeing airplane.
Holy crap!

carlitos Dec 10, 2019 10:46 am

Originally Posted by nsx (Post 31783503)
More seats for me. If I get 3 seats I can sleep all the way!

Unfortunately my short-haul flights rarely were allocated a MAX8 when it was flying.

Agree. More seats for me too. I did fly them a lot on both, WN & UA, my two go to airlines. I know they did not schedule them (ETOPS certify them) for Hawaii service, which is now showing a lot in my near future, but would be great to have them scheduled there.

N830MH Dec 10, 2019 7:32 pm

FAA issues new rules for operations 737-MAX jets.

FAA issues new rules for the operation of 737 MAX jets ? Explore the sky above

The public has 30 days to comment on the document. Boeing is finalizing changes to a flight-control system linked to two crashes, in Indonesia and Ethiopia, that killed 346 people. The manufacturer is also altering the plane’s flight-control computers after tests showed they were vulnerable to failure.

The company must complete an audit of the software changes and test the revised system in flight simulators with a variety of pilots. In addition to signing off on the redesign, the FAA is devising new pilot training.

One of the more technical steps in the process is to revise what’s known as the Master Minimum Equipment List, which lays out conditions under which an operator can fly the aircraft with a variety of malfunctions.

Major breakdowns require that a plane get fixed before the flight, but airlines can fly with relatively minor malfunctions if there are adequate backups and repairs are performed within a prescribed time.

N830MH Dec 11, 2019 3:50 pm

https://www.flightglobal.com/air-tra...135744.article

FAA will not certify 737 Max in 2019: FAA chief

sfozrhfco Dec 11, 2019 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 31830587)
https://www.flightglobal.com/air-tra...135744.article

FAA will not certify 737 Max in 2019: FAA chief

Would not be surprised at all to see the same message with 2020 substituted later next year.

rsteinmetz70112 Dec 11, 2019 10:12 pm

If the FAA had been around in 1903 the Wright Brothers would have never gotten off the ground.
I've heard that in 1962 when making The Longest Day the producers constructed a number of Horsa gliders and intended to reenact the Pegasus Bridge assault. The aviation authorities refused to allow it the guliders to be used as the were deemed unairworthy. Eventually they were transported across the channel and used as props.

sfozrhfco Dec 15, 2019 3:40 pm

WSJ is reporting Boeing may announce as soon as tomorrow that that max production will be reduced or could even be halted. This will be giving them problems for years to come.

Boraxo Dec 15, 2019 4:53 pm

I said it month's ago - MAX is as good as dead. The only question is whether it will taint the remaining Boeing products and whether they can re-engineer and retool fast enough to get a new design from scratch. Alas the design and production cycle is pretty long... and hence the reason they made the ill-fated decision to go with the current design. Penny wise, pound foolish.

jmw Dec 15, 2019 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 31843353)
I said it month's ago - MAX is as good as dead. The only question is whether it will taint the remaining Boeing products and whether they can re-engineer and retool fast enough to get a new design from scratch. Alas the design and production cycle is pretty long... and hence the reason they made the ill-fated decision to go with the current design. Penny wise, pound foolish.

Months ago, I thought there was a remote chance that the very last A380 flight will fly years after the last 737 max. I assumed the FAA would figure out a way to strong arm the other global aviation authorities to go along with the plan. Right now there is a fair chance the A380 will live longer than the max.

lougord99 Dec 15, 2019 7:33 pm

I think there is 0 chance the Max doesn’t fly and become a large fleet.

Boing has to much clout for anything else to happen.

NoStressHere Dec 15, 2019 7:34 pm

I wish the OP would change the title. I keep clicking on it thinking I would read something about the Max - instead it is about a looney toon mayor.