Community
Wiki Posts
Search

737 MAX

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2021, 10:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by jmw
I don't have a choice that doesn't require jumping through a lot of difficult hooks like many other objectionable things in life such as paying the IRS to fund the US military. I have to pray that the Chinese and whoever else are motivated enough to embarrass Boeing and the US to ensure my safety because I sure don't trust the FAA and Boeing to do that. That's why I don't buy that the 737 Max is the safest plane in the world due to scrutiny. That scrutiny is fading with every passing day. Maybe I'd change my mind on it if a single Boeing C-level executive or FAA C-level executive actually went to jail for it.
Just wow.
m907 likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by oreocookies
How often do planes get swapped? I booked a flight that is not a MAX, and the route does not seem to use MAX planes if I check other days, but I really don't want to fly the MAX. If I see that it's a MAX I will ask to be rebooked on another flight, but I really don't want to have to do that. I am flying Southwest for this flight because I am moving and taking advantage of their baggage policy.

Also, is there anyway to know about a swap other than physically looking at the plane myself?
Bump. Anyone able to help here?
Old Oct 21, 2021, 9:22 am

Programs: Southwest Hilton Diamond
Bump. Anyone able to help here?
I use Flight Radar 24 to track the inbound aircraft and flight for every trip I take. Then I know in advance where the aircraft is coming from, what kind of aircraft it is, and if it is actually on time. That way you will know if it is a MAX or not but the swap can often take place at the very last minute. Personally I don't worry about flying the MAX. Flew them after the first crash and before the second and most recently flew one back from Seattle a couple weeks ago. I do understand the concern from others though. My job involves cyber risk management so that mindset permeates my life and I truly believe that there is far more risk driving to and from the airport to take a MAX flight than the actual flight.
lougord99, m907 and wakesetter93 like this.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by TXWayne
I use Flight Radar 24 to track the inbound aircraft and flight for every trip I take. Then I know in advance where the aircraft is coming from, what kind of aircraft it is, and if it is actually on time. That way you will know if it is a MAX or not but the swap can often take place at the very last minute. Personally I don't worry about flying the MAX. Flew them after the first crash and before the second and most recently flew one back from Seattle a couple weeks ago. I do understand the concern from others though. My job involves cyber risk management so that mindset permeates my life and I truly believe that there is far more risk driving to and from the airport to take a MAX flight than the actual flight.
True, and also there's no doubt that we are emotional creatures. I'd rather die in 1-2 seconds of terror before a car wreck than 5-10 minutes of terror as my MAX plane porpoises up and down in the sky before finally plunging. <shrugs>
Boraxo likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 3:27 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I can only hope that you have all transferred out of the Max flight that I am finally able to take so that I have an empty middle. I look forward with anticipation to the first Max flight that SWA offers me.
smmrfld, dlaue and wakesetter93 like this.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL 1.3MM/SM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum
Flew the WN MAX two weeks ago. Amazing aircraft, hands down nicest plane WN has. We had a older, distinguished cockpit crew on our flight, such a better experience than their falling apart 73-7's

Last edited by ThisDJ; Oct 23, 2021 at 10:50 am
Old Oct 22, 2021, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by lougord99
I can only hope that you have all transferred out of the Max flight that I am finally able to take so that I have an empty middle. I look forward with anticipation to the first Max flight that SWA offers me.
Wish granted! Will avoid this death trap as long as possible.
DenverBrian and screeton like this.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 11:14 am

flew on a Max 8 from PNS-BNA last weekend (equipment swap), flew on a United Max 9 from SAN-IAH last month. Very nice, smooth rides.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 11:41 am

I flew on my first MAX since the grounding a few weeks back. I have to admit that it felt a little weird, especially given that the WN crew does not say it's a MAX, they just call it an 800. Even the safety information cards don't use the word MAX (like they did pre-grounding). It's pretty obvious that they don't want the non-observant fliers (probably 90% of their customers) to even know that they are on a MAX.

But, let's face it, these birds are flying all over the country every day without incident. That's certainly no guarantee, but it's enough for me. YMMV.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 12:42 pm

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards A+, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Honors, IHG Rewards
That safety card swap out must have happened recently. I had a MAX flight in September and that was the most unnerving thing - staring at the card, at eye level given the new seat back configuration, and seeing "MAX-8" for the entire trip LOL
Old Oct 29, 2021, 1:34 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Anywhere on the road
That safety card swap out must have happened recently. I had a MAX flight in September and that was the most unnerving thing - staring at the card, at eye level given the new seat back configuration, and seeing "MAX-8" for the entire trip LOL
You think the MAX8 should have been renamed "Meta"?
halls120, dlaue, screeton and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 2:23 pm

There were a lot of calls for grounding the brand new 727 after four crashes. "Inadequate pilot training" was blamed.

Three occurred attempting to land and two happened within three days of each other.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
There were a lot of calls for grounding the brand new 727 after four crashes. "Inadequate pilot training" was blamed.

Three occurred attempting to land and two happened within three days of each other.
You mean in the 1960s, when air travel was less safe across the board? Yes, that should be our standard in 2021.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 12:33 am

I flew the max 8 hnl to las and they called it a max 8 in pre flight instructions, las to cmh they called it a 737 800 series max. Both literature in the seat back said max 8.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 6:32 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
You mean in the 1960s, when air travel was less safe across the board? Yes, that should be our standard in 2021.
1960-1969 there were 183 commercial airplane crashes
2000-2009 there were 202 commercial plane crashes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rcial_aircraft

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.