Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Lack of Maintenance Paperwork on certain Southwest "Used" Aircraft

Old Nov 11, 2019, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass

Quite likely pay-walled. Google is your friend for backdoor and alternate access if you don't have a subscription.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/faa-con...d=hp_lead_pos2

The Wall Street Journal
November 11, 2019
11:13am Central Herb Time

Southwest Is Flying 38 Jets That Lack Final Safety Verification

FAA considered grounding some of the used planes over concerns about gaps in paperwork

Southwest Airlines Co.currently flies more than three dozen jets without being able to verify they comply with all mandatory federal safety standards, according to government documents that also reveal U.S. regulators recently considered grounding the planes.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 2:07 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
*FAA Official on Oct. 24 Recommended Grounding Southwest Jets That Lacked Adequate Maintenance Records

*FAA Official Made Recommendation to Head of Agency in Memo Released Monday by Senate Commerce Committee

*Internal FAA Memo Urged Immediate Action Because Southwest Couldn’t Certify to FAA or Passengers That Planes Met Safety Standards

*FAA Memo Alleged Southwest Provided Little or No Oversight to Maintenance Company That Vetted Used Aircraft From Abroad

*FAA Memo Alleged Southwest Told Agency That All Foreign Planes Were Properly Vetted Before Some Necessary Maintenance Paperwork Had Been Translated to English

*FAA Didn’t Ground Southwest Jets After Carrier Agreed to Accelerate Necessary Inspections and Complete Them by End of January

Old Nov 11, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
The repeated issues with aircraft maintenance, repairs and paperwork are setting Southwest up for a heavy fall the first time there is a bad crash involving equipment.

The press will be brutal and dredge up all the past problems- the repairs done in Central America, etc. I foresee a big hit to the bottom line as the infrequent flyers avoid the brand.
copperred likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 3:29 pm

WSJ says the planes are flying.

Chicago Business Journal says they're grounded:

__________________________________________________ _____________________________

Southwest Airlines grounds 38 planes for maintenance checks

By Lewis Lazare – Reporter, Chicago Business Journal
Nov 1, 2019, 3:23pm CDT Updated Nov 1, 2019, 3:39pm CDT

Southwest Airlines in recent days removed 38 aircraft from service, according to sources close to the developments, as part of a maintenance and repair assessment effort for the fleet.

Sources said that as of Thursday at least 23 of the planes remained out of service while discrepancies in the maintenance records for the planes were examined. Planes also were being inspected by Southwest mechanics to determine if certain maintenance work had been completed and recorded properly.

Federal Aviation Administration safety inspectors routinely examine aircraft maintenance records and can call for inspections if something doesn’t look right. The aluminum skins on some of the recently-grounded Southwest planes were said to be a particular point of concern.

The Inspector General of the U.S. Department of Transportation is believed to be in the final stages of a safety culture audit of Southwest that was initiated in the wake of an unusual fan blade detachment from a Southwest plane jet engine in April 2018. That incident resulted in the first-ever fatality on board a Southwest flight. The Inspector General’s report is expected in the first quarter of 2020, but some sources say it could surface sooner than that.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 3:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
With the MAX grounded, for WN to lose 23-39 additional aircraft from their schedule could lead to some further cancellations and other disruptions.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
With the MAX grounded, for WN to lose 23-39 additional aircraft from their schedule could lead to some further cancellations and other disruptions.
Yes, I'm not particularly concerned about maintenance at WN as I expect it is done here rather than offshore (e.g. in China for UA). The bigger problem is the potential short term disruption to operations.

Southwest has had an enviable safety record for many years and I expect that will not change as long as the 737 MAX stays grounded.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Yes, I'm not particularly concerned about maintenance at WN as I expect it is done here rather than offshore (e.g. in China for UA).
El Salvador is offshore.

A Southwest spokesperson said of the carrier's aircraft maintenance policies: "The provider at the San Salvador airport is an experienced Boeing 737 maintenance and overhaul work (provider) and has done past work for us (in the same location). Southwest employees supervise outsourced work that mirrors our Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)-approved maintenance program."

The spokesperson also said that the carrier continually evaluates maintenance providers "to reduce the risk associated with shortages of mechanics, to provide flexibility in heavy maintenance work planned across the coming years and to control costs."
Old Nov 11, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by LegalTender
El Salvador is offshore.
It's connected to the rest of Central America which is connected to Mexico which is connected to the USA so it's not offshore as much as just "south". Or it's as offshore as Texas or Florida or Alaska are.

I don't know why that would concern people. I used to fly through SAL a lot and many airlines do maintenance there so if you want to exclude airlines using the facilities there, you may want to look at buses and trains. Amtrak for sure is not fixing its trains in El Salvador.

I doubt the Chinese just use duct tape and baling wire either to post #6 .
Old Nov 11, 2019, 7:03 pm

"Offshore" in economic terms. Ferry flights from HOU or DAL to SAL are unlikely to avoid the Gulf shoreline, in any case.

The SWA mechanics union says it's a double standard. There's typically no background checks or drug or alcohol testing at foreign repair stations. The ratio of certified mechanics to workers is 163 to 2,223 (1:14) with limited fluency in English, the standard language of aviation and technical manuals. Can a contract worker elevate safety concerns without fear of retaliation?

The compromises are rife.
windscar likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by LegalTender
El Salvador is offshore.
Not big on that either but I trust Salvador them more than China.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
It's connected to the rest of Central America which is connected to Mexico which is connected to the USA so it's not offshore as much as just "south". Or it's as offshore as Texas or Florida or Alaska are.

I don't know why that would concern people. I used to fly through SAL a lot and many airlines do maintenance there so if you want to exclude airlines using the facilities there, you may want to look at buses and trains. Amtrak for sure is not fixing its trains in El Salvador.

I doubt the Chinese just use duct tape and baling wire either to post #6 .
You are accurate. But, try to explain that to the average Southwest passenger... especially in today’s environment regarding Latin America.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 9:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dlaue
You are accurate. But, try to explain that to the average Southwest passenger... especially in today’s environment regarding Latin America.
When Qantas wrote off a 747-400 at Bangkok Sep 1999, they some how got it to China to have it repaired.

You could see where the repair was on hull both inside & outside. Very very dodgy.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 10:01 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Yes, I'm not particularly concerned about maintenance at WN as I expect it is done here rather than offshore (e.g. in China for UA).
I am always concerned...

WN812
Old Nov 12, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: Southwest A+/CP, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
United, Delta, and AA all contract for some level of heavy maintenance in Latin America the same as Southwest.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by aaronp84
United, Delta, and AA all contract for some level of heavy maintenance in Latin America the same as Southwest.
Not completely re-assuring. Eso si que es.
In 2009, a Boeing 737 jet carrying passengers from Omaha to Phoenix had to make an emergency landing in Denver when a high-pitched whistling sound in the cabin signaled that the seal around the main cabin door had begun to fail. It was later discovered that mechanics at Aeroman's El Salvador facility had installed a key component of the door backward.

In another incident, Aeroman mechanics crossed wires that connect the cockpit gauges and the airplane’s engines, a potentially catastrophic error that, in the words of a 2012 Congressional Research Service report, “could cause a pilot to shut down the wrong engine if engine trouble was suspected.”

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.