What is WN doing to its fare structure?

Old Oct 30, 19, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

What is WN doing to its fare structure?

As a member of the WN Advisory Council, I received one of their survey emails today saying asking what I thought of different combinations of new names for their fare classes. In addition, they are looking at adding a fourth fare. The most noticeable difference would be adding a tier that gives 8x points, in additions to the current levels of 6x, 10x, and 12x. A few other changes include FlyBy for the second tier and same day standby for the third tier.

In this survey, where you were supposed to rate eight different name combinations, all but none retained Wanna Get Away. The exception was The Original. Nowhere was Business Select Mentioned. Here are the eight choices you got to vote on: Sometimes, "plus" was spelled out and sometimes it was just the symbol +

--Complete Freedom, Freedom, Wanna Get Away Plus, Wanna Get Away.

--Freedom & More, Freedom, WGA Plus, WGA

--Wanna Gett the Most, Wanna Get More, WGA+, WGA

--Freedom Flex+, Freedom Flex, WGA+, WGA

--Wanna Get the Most, Wanna Get More, WGA Plus, WGA

--WGM Plus, WGM, The Original Plus, The Original

--Freedom Perks, Freedom, WGA+, WGA

--Go Ultimate, Go Anytime, Wanna Flex, Wanna Get Away

Got any better ideas?
Old Oct 30, 19, 2:41 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
for 4 classes

business
anytime
flex
WGA

That list sucks...

King
knight
rook
peasant
Old Oct 30, 19, 2:44 pm

Sounds like they are thinking of splitting WGA into two fare types, and then keeping "anytime" and "business" with new names and slightly different features. Probably trying to get more people to book one of the higher class fares. Especially since "business" is really a joke since all you're getting is a better boarding position and a drink.

My guess is a devaluation is in the works for their cheapest fare - maybe getting rid of free bags or changes?
Old Oct 30, 19, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by camaross View Post
Sounds like they are thinking of splitting WGA into two fare types, and then keeping "anytime" and "business" with new names and slightly different features. Probably trying to get more people to book one of the higher class fares. Especially since "business" is really a joke since all you're getting is a better boarding position and a drink.

My guess is a devaluation is in the works for their cheapest fare - maybe getting rid of free bags or changes?
WGA will probably end up with only 1 free bag
WGA+ will include 2 free bags plus maybe same day standby
Old Oct 30, 19, 2:58 pm

t would help to know what features of the fares are.I'd guess the new fare between WGA and Anytime would include automatic check in. I

In that case I'g go with something simple like:

Getaway Current Wanna Get Away
Getaway+ Getaway with EBCI
Anytime Current Anytime (Refundable Fare)
Anytime Plus Current Business Select

Currently adding EBCI to an Anytime Fare usually is about the same as BS so EBCI wouldn't be needed at all.
Maybe that is the Strategy.
This seems to offer the ablity to upsell more people, not sure how they'd handle purchases after T-36 hours.
Old Oct 30, 19, 3:03 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Tit Forever, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR, Covid-19
<clinches, with the same feeling one gets when you see the root canal drill heading toward your mouth>
lougord99, dlaue, ursine1 and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 30, 19, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by gogreyhound View Post
--Complete Freedom, Freedom, Wanna Get Away Plus, Wanna Get Away.

--Freedom & More, Freedom, WGA Plus, WGA

--Wanna Gett the Most, Wanna Get More, WGA+, WGA

--Freedom Flex+, Freedom Flex, WGA+, WGA

--Wanna Get the Most, Wanna Get More, WGA Plus, WGA

--WGM Plus, WGM, The Original Plus, The Original

--Freedom Perks, Freedom, WGA+, WGA

Hmmm. I don't like seeing "Flex" or "Plus" as the 2nd tier from bottom, since it implies a certain "Inflex" or "Minus" for the bottom tier.

The only reason I use WN for personal travel is the no-change-fees policy on WGA fares. Take that away and I'm gone....
Gig103 likes this.
Old Oct 30, 19, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
I get why Southwest would consider changing their fare class names. The customer-friendly reason is that "Business Select" is misleading because it's not at all comparable to "Business" on any other airline. The customer-unfriendly reason is that it probably includes taking away features people enjoy today. ....And no, that's not cynicism; it's actually business analysis. Why would a company change the names of its products that customers are familiar with, and which have positive brand cachet (WN scores well in cust sat surveys), and which align with good business outcomes (LUV has been consistently profitable, a standout in commercial aviation)? The only rational business reason is to mask a product change that otherwise would cause negative customer reaction. So yeah, watch out for more restrictions on whatever the new cheapest fare category is.
Old Oct 30, 19, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup View Post
<clinches, with the same feeling one gets when you see the root canal drill heading toward your mouth>
We're currently deciding how to proceed for next year, and this just put a touch of cold in my heart.

OP, any insight as to the timeline you've seen in the past when approached with questions like this, vs changes made?
Old Oct 30, 19, 10:29 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by gogreyhound View Post
Some of those are flat out awful, but this last one seems okay.

All of them imply that WGA is about to be restricted, the WN version of basic. So how do I predict a basic economy on an airline that eschews the legacy carrier model? Based on the one I quoted, maybe no more free changes on WGA, and maybe a reduced checked bag. Imagine if WGA was no longer eligible for EBCI?
Old Oct 30, 19, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
“Chewie, I’ve got a bad feeling about this.”

I just know that whatever comes will screw me somehow.

I could live with WGA-minus that comes with one bag or possibly no bag, no TPs, and no free cancellation, if they dropped the fare substantially. Heck, even eliminate the awarding of points altogether. WN points I get from flying are trivial compared to what I get on CCs and I don’t fly enough paid fares to get to A-List anyway.

The $369 Anytime fares when WGA is $69 are what is absurd to me. Seems to me there is space in there for something. Maybe take a look at that.

And I recall when the term “Business Select” was coined by WN. We here knew in about 4 seconds that it was a bad idea, since the word “business” means something in the airline world.
kennycrudup likes this.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Oct 31, 19 at 12:04 am
Old Oct 31, 19, 6:08 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
All of them imply that WGA is about to be restricted....
And considering that WGA fares probably make up about 80-90% of their fares, that is a very big pie to cut up.
Old Oct 31, 19, 7:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Who cares what they call a fare class. That is pure marketing hype and using "Business Select" is, well.... BS. Why not respond to WN that you don't care what the fare buckets are called, but that you do care what the fare buckets mean. If more consumers did that, there would be less BS from WN.

It's speculation, but as an increasing number of carriers find that there is significant demand for a basic product which lacks the features of standard service, e.g. "basic economy," there is a decent chance that WN will introduce some form of fare basis which approximates that.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 19, 8:08 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
It's speculation, but as an increasing number of carriers find that there is significant demand for a basic product which lacks the features of standard service, e.g. "basic economy," there is a decent chance that WN will introduce some form of fare basis which approximates that.
That's the nice way of putting it. I would say airlines have found a way to monetize services that they used to give for free.
joshua362 and kennycrudup like this.
Old Oct 31, 19, 8:51 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck View Post
That's the nice way of putting it. I would say airlines have found a way to monetize services that they used to give for free.
And then the enviable "aligning themselves to industry standards" - every else does and gets away with it, so why don't we exploit too.

PayPal is doing this behind the scenes effective 11/1.

I hope this is just a trial balloon as they do from time to time. Otherwise look for the other shoe to drop hard.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: