Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is WN doing to its fare structure?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Boraxo
This doesn't make sense for the WN business model which is predicated on upselling EBCI to non-elites and expedited boarding by permitting free checked bags. Similarly WN does not want GAs to spend extra time collecting fees as people board the plane with too many carry-ons. Plus how do you tell the computer "ignore A-list status" when assigning checkin #s .

Personally I would be fine with unbundling checked baggage but I wouldn't expect reduced fares - more likely just the same fares and increased profits from ancillary fees as is the case with other airlines.

A 4th fare tier makes sense as there is often a huge gap between WGA and Anytime that is clearly ripe for exploitation. But WN would have to figure out how to assign some benefit beyond the 8 points/$1 which is not a real motivator (though I'd be happy to have them).

However I would personally be more concerned about WN eliminating ticketless travel funds for people who buy WGA fares. That's where this is headed.

Have never seen a spread this wide but I guess it depends on your routings. Most of mine are $25-50 on UA domestic/Mexico/Hawaii routes (and similar on AA and DL though I rarely fly them). For $50 I am not giving up my Plat perks on UA such as EQM, RDM and preassigned E+ seating, not to mention carryons. Even on AA it is not worth $50 (x4 family) to give up good pre-assigned seats or carry-ons.
I was more than willing to save $210 (3x$70). You don’t get “good” pre-assigned seats anyway. We are in the second to last row (26), but is it really worth it to be able to pick seats all the way up in row 18? Carry ons are allowed on AA.

As for routes, all domestic. AA was CMH-LAX-CMH and DL was DAY-JAC/BZN-DAY.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by isaac.chambers
110 each way from MCI to mdw is actually quite reasonable. We pay that for Norcal to SoCal flights all the time.
Chicago was for many years a regularly available for $75-ish each way, with $49's being semi-common. Chicago used to be our main long-haul connection hub for both UA and AA but that's no longer true after all of the mergers. That has allowed UA and AA to cut way back on total capacity to ORD. And as WN has built up MCI - which has been great for our nonstop choices - they've also pared back the MDW frequencies. So now Chicago is pretty expensive.

We used to have almost hourly 737's to MDW and probably eight to ten total 727's across UA and AA. (Throw in the occasional niche player like Midway Airlines or Vanguard.) There were a *lot* of Chicago seats available...good times and good fares. We even did daytrips to Wrigley to see Ryno and the Hawk because there were sometimes great Saturday deals.

Originally Posted by Boraxo
However I would personally be more concerned about WN eliminating ticketless travel funds for people who buy WGA fares. That's where this is headed.
That would be a pretty dire outcome. It would make their "no change fees" advertising, while still technically true, feel very hollow and dishonest.

Have never seen a spread this wide but I guess it depends on your routings. Most of mine are $25-50 on UA domestic/Mexico/Hawaii routes (and similar on AA and DL though I rarely fly them). For $50 I am not giving up my Plat perks on UA such as EQM, RDM and preassigned E+ seating, not to mention carryons. Even on AA it is not worth $50 (x4 family) to give up good pre-assigned seats or carry-ons.
I've seen it as wide as 100% - a $49 BE vs. a $99 Y fare on UA.

I have to admit, from UA Plat the value prop of the upgrade probability and confirmed E+ probably outweighs the savings of BE. But you don't give up the carry-ons and checked bags if you are *some* kind of elite. As a UA Silver, where I know I'm not getting into F, it's a pretty good deal for a family of four. I'll just keep the $400 round-trip in my pocket and we'll accept that it's an E- flight. (Although interestingly enough, we've had GAs move us to E+ without our asking for it as they're filling in all of the non-elites with unassigned seats.)

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Best alternative without status I have found is Avios redemptions, where all you lose on cancellation 24+ hours out is your $5.60 fee.
^ Love Avios redeposit ability.

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I was more than willing to save $210 (3x$70). You don’t get “good” pre-assigned seats anyway. We are in the second to last row (26), but is it really worth it to be able to pick seats all the way up in row 18? Carry ons are allowed on AA.
Both the UA and AA systems seem to do an honest job of at least putting us together when we're on BE itins. Back of the bus, but not scattered middles. Of course it *could* happen, but there are always enough non-elites on the plane who can't select their seats even when they buy regular Y on a fairly-full flight. If you're elite, odds are in your favor that it won't be awful. You're just taking yourself out of E+/MCE and F upgrade queues, which is not as painful if you're a low tier.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by djp98374
for 4 classes
King
knight
rook
peasant
That's awesome. A little honesty !
Old Nov 10, 2019, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I think the biggest concern that I have is: what does the redemption rate become for the third tier?

If the fourth tier becomes truly nonrefundable even for awards, then I don't have a lot of reason to pick Southwest over either Delta or American. Both Delta (with my status) and American (with my BA Avios) let me redeposit awards with no/minimal penalty, and with status I can check bags.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
Hmmm. I don't like seeing "Flex" or "Plus" as the 2nd tier from bottom, since it implies a certain "Inflex" or "Minus" for the bottom tier.

The only reason I use WN for personal travel is the no-change-fees policy on WGA fares. Take that away and I'm gone....
Exactly The reason I stopped flying United was because of Basic Economy and the inflexibility/high change fees.... if that goes away on Southwest, as a MM on United, I might as well go back to UA if saddled with the same restrictions on WN.
Boraxo and kennycrudup like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.