Odds of upgraded boarding

Old Oct 29, 19, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Blue, Priority Club Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Odds of upgraded boarding

Flying BWI to SJC next Tuesday and flight is only selling four more seats. Havenít bought EBCI and was going to do upgraded boarding and checkin at 24 hours. Not sure EBCI would help much now. So since almost sold out is it still possible to have ability to buy A1-A15? Am I looking at mid B boarding position at t-24?
Old Oct 29, 19, 11:06 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by terpfan101 View Post
Flying BWI to SJC next Tuesday and flight is only selling four more seats. Havenít bought EBCI and was going to do upgraded boarding and checkin at 24 hours. Not sure EBCI would help much now. So since almost sold out is it still possible to have ability to buy A1-A15? Am I looking at mid B boarding position at t-24?
Upgraded boarding is available if BS hasn't sold all 15 positions. You'll have a better chance at the ticket counter before pax buy up at the gate.
Old Oct 30, 19, 2:42 am

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
The flight can be sold out and there could be as many as 15 seats available for upgraded booking. Probably nowhere near that many, but still good chances. Most seem to thing the order of EBCI are tied to WHEN you bought it, so buying it now could be a very high B. Being a long flight from Balt to San Jose there are probably a higher number of people that already bought EBCI.
Old Oct 30, 19, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tanic View Post
You'll have a better chance at the ticket counter before pax buy up at the gate.
If you wouldn't otherwise visit the ticket counter, because you got your boarding pass online, you're carry-on only, and PreCheck, is it still worth going to the ticket counter just to ask for upgraded boarding then? Thanks.
Old Oct 30, 19, 7:20 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by terpfan101 View Post
Flying BWI to SJC next Tuesday and flight is only selling four more seats. Haven’t bought EBCI and was going to do upgraded boarding and checkin at 24 hours. Not sure EBCI would help much now. So since almost sold out is it still possible to have ability to buy A1-A15? Am I looking at mid B boarding position at t-24?
Don't buy EBCI this late in the game; you'll be behind everyone else who already bought theirs (perhaps many months earlier) and you'll be only marginally better than checking in at T-24. If you do get a crummy number at T-24 then you can decide if its worth it to spend the extra money for upgraded boarding.

I fly a lot of 5:30 AM flights and I find most people aren't awake and online at T-24 so I almost always get a good number at T-24 even if I'm thirty seconds or a minute late. Your mileage may vary, and flights later in the day might be totally different.
Old Oct 30, 19, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
If you wouldn't otherwise visit the ticket counter, because you got your boarding pass online, you're carry-on only, and PreCheck, is it still worth going to the ticket counter just to ask for upgraded boarding then? Thanks.
Is upgraded boarding even available at the regular ticket counter? I thought it was only available at the gate?

I think if it were me, I'd take my chances and skip the counter (at MDW, that might be a 45-minute line!) and go right to the gate if I wanted upgraded boarding.
Old Oct 30, 19, 8:44 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Mainly for the sake of timing. If there is a huge line at the ticket counter then perhaps not, but more often than not the time advantage of stopping up front (especially at T-1 hour or more) before the GA arrives. You may get a better upgraded boarding number before the pax at the gate who are waiting for the GA.
Old Oct 30, 19, 8:56 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Can they even do that at the counter? Or are they "upgrading" you for full fare BS? Do they issue a new BP at the gate or do they simple write a A1-A15 number on the existing BP in green marker?
Old Oct 30, 19, 9:18 am

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by joshua362 View Post
Can they even do that at the counter? Or are they "upgrading" you for full fare BS? Do they issue a new BP at the gate or do they simple write a A1-A15 number on the existing BP in green marker?
They will issue a new boarding pass. And I noticed that my phone BP changed as well - at least in one case.

The reason to do it at the front counter is the same as the original concern. You want to get it before they are no longer available. Have done it in Nashville and Vegas. Since we arrive at the airport early and visit the lounge - we are usually there well before many others are, and surely way before those that buy at the gate.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Oct 30, 19, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere View Post
You want to get it before they are no longer available.
I have to admit I've never seen A1-15 fill up. Usually not even close.

Maybe on certain business-heavy (or kettle-heavy?) routes, they do. Or maybe my 5:30AM flights don't get many BS (or upgraded) fares.
Old Oct 30, 19, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Peoriaman1 View Post
I have to admit I've never seen A1-15 fill up. Usually not even close.

Maybe on certain business-heavy (or kettle-heavy?) routes, they do. Or maybe my 5:30AM flights don't get many BS (or upgraded) fares.
BS is frequently full intra-CA.
Old Oct 30, 19, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by smmrfld View Post
BS is frequently full intra-CA.

That makes sense, thanks.
Old Oct 30, 19, 11:30 am

The Southwest Priority credit card has the benefit of four free upgraded boardings per year. I'm not clear as to whether that is a calendar year or 365 days from the first time the option is exercised. I've got four available but don't know whether they expire on 12/31. My wife and I are flying tomorrow and don't know whether to purchase two upgraded seats (reimbursable to the credit card) or just one and save a seat for her. Thanks to anyone who knows the answer.
Old Oct 30, 19, 12:29 pm

Buy one for yourself, save a middle seat for your wife
joshua362 likes this.
Old Oct 30, 19, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by dmbolp View Post
Buy one for yourself, save a middle seat for your wife
I would go with this.

There are some folks here that would not even allow saving a seat on the wing. Hopefully this will not turn into another discussion about saving. We already have 7,392 posts about that. LOL!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: