FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   SWA Pilots Accused of Placing Camera in Airplane Lav. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1992825-swa-pilots-accused-placing-camera-airplane-lav.html)

Mr. Vker Oct 25, 2019 9:54 pm

SWA Pilots Accused of Placing Camera in Airplane Lav.

Couldn't find this reported anywhere in the forum. Details are very disturbing if true. Especially attempts to cover it up and that the pilots are still flying.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/southwest...004825450.html

Michael El Oct 25, 2019 11:31 pm

This is horrific and I hope there is enough evidence to hang the pilots out to dry.

MSPeconomist Oct 25, 2019 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by Michael El (Post 31667372)
This is horrific and I hope there is enough evidence to hang the pilots out to dry.

Let's add to the list the managers who harassed the FA who reported it (and her husband) rather than taking action to fix the problem, hopefully by terminating the pilots and reporting the incident to law enforcement and the FAA. Just in terms of safety, this seems a lot worse than texting while driving a car; these guys should never be allowed in a cockpit again.

Nirvana91 Oct 26, 2019 5:53 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31667394)
, this seems a lot worse than texting while driving a car; these guys should never be allowed in a cockpit again.

Agreed. Hopefully the facts will be put out there in full, and if they were actually recording people in the lav they should be sent to jail - especially if they were livestreaming it to the depths of the internet hellscape.

If this all turns out to be true I'd expect massive lawsuits from any others that had their privacy invaded in this disgusting way.

NoStressHere Oct 26, 2019 6:41 am

Wow - based on what has been reported, if true - well.... they only flying they will do will be with federal marshalls.

LegalTender Oct 26, 2019 8:17 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere (Post 31667936)
Wow - based on what has been reported, if true - well.... they only flying they will do will be with federal marshalls.

I'm more interested in the managers who allegedly made her life miserable.

Same-day crewmates spoken to by the pilots, photo of the iPad she took and any documented harassment would be hard to rebut.

Why didn't SWA settle this?

NoStressHere Oct 26, 2019 8:27 am

Originally Posted by LegalTender (Post 31668171)
I'm more interested in the managers who allegedly made her life miserable.

Same-day crewmates spoken to by the pilots, photo of the iPad she took and any documented harassment would be hard to rebut.

Why didn't SWA settle this?

You make a very good point.

Quote from news story : "...flight attendant has sued the airline, accusing the carrier of retaliation after she reported two pilots..."

I often wonder if there is another side to just about every story we read but hard to imagine there would be an issue here. Something just does not add up.

smmrfld Oct 26, 2019 10:03 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere (Post 31668200)
You make a very good point.

Quote from news story : "...flight attendant has sued the airline, accusing the carrier of retaliation after she reported two pilots..."

I often wonder if there is another side to just about every story we read but hard to imagine there would be an issue here. Something just does not add up.

Agree..somethin' ain't right here.

fttc Oct 26, 2019 12:35 pm

Seems to me that the FAs have provided clear enough information. They submitted the report and asked management to investigate immediately and before allowing the pilots to continue flying and tempering the evidence. The management could call the police at the time and go to the lav and find the camera and it will be black and white.

It seems to me to be a bigger indictment on the company than the pilots. Unfortunately they will just have bigger fare sales and people will just continue flying them, except using the lav. It just shows that the company has lost what made it great before, and just become another discarding all rules, money driven corporation.

ursine1 Oct 26, 2019 12:52 pm

Yikes.

NoStressHere Oct 26, 2019 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by fttc (Post 31668779)
Seems to me that the FAs have provided clear enough information. They submitted the report and asked management to investigate immediately and before allowing the pilots to continue flying and tempering the evidence. The management could call the police at the time and go to the lav and find the camera and it will be black and white.

It seems to me to be a bigger indictment on the company than the pilots. Unfortunately they will just have bigger fare sales and people will just continue flying them, except using the lav. It just shows that the company has lost what made it great before, and just become another discarding all rules, money driven corporation.

If the pilots were smart, the camera was removed.

Depending on exactly HOW and WHEN the incident was reported, the airline may be in a tough position to investigate. And too late for law enforcement to get involved. The article I read did not indicate the timing of the report.

Hard to say how much blame to put on the company vs the individuals with what little we can see at this point.

Assuming this is some major change in how the company operates is a big jump. Or that lavs are no longer safe to use.

smmrfld Oct 26, 2019 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by fttc (Post 31668779)

This is wildly off-base and inaccurate, IMO.

fttc Oct 26, 2019 1:55 pm

Yes, the camera was removed afterwards, so the pilots are now arguing innocence.

TPG has a pretty detailed write up. From FAs' story, the 4 FAs filed written report together after landing in PHX (the FA did also take some picture of the live stream), and asked management to prevent the pilots from flying the next leg (so that they wouldn't have a chance to temper the evidence). But the management refused, thus the pilots were able to fly the next leg and the evidence is gone. Seems to me that part is pretty cut and dry to me, and it's enough say the company is rotten deeper than a couple of illegal pilots.

fttc Oct 26, 2019 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld (Post 31668975)
This is wildly off-base and inaccurate, IMO.

Which part? The first or the second part or both?

What's your opinion then?

Mr. Vker Oct 26, 2019 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by fttc (Post 31668983)
Yes, the camera was removed afterwards, so the pilots are now arguing innocence.

TPG has a pretty detailed write up. From FAs' story, the 4 FAs filed written report together after landing in PHX (the FA did also take some picture of the live stream), and asked management to prevent the pilots from flying the next leg (so that they wouldn't have a chance to temper the evidence). But the management refused, thus the pilots were able to fly the next leg and the evidence is gone. Seems to me that part is pretty cut and dry to me, and it's enough say the company is rotten deeper than a couple of illegal pilots.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/southw...raft-lavatory/