Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

SWA Pilots Accused of Placing Camera in Airplane Lav.

SWA Pilots Accused of Placing Camera in Airplane Lav.

Old Oct 26, 2019, 2:04 pm

All I can say is that instead of acting at the time on the spot, and have a clear cut investigation, and take swift action and say "every company has a couple of bad apples, but we act immediately if we find out", take some damage, but small and manageable, by hiding it for so long, (it's going to come out sooner or later), it reflects that a much bigger part of the company is rotten, and the damage will be much more severe now. Yes, maybe the pilots is safer now in terms of less likely of being convicted, but the damage to the company reputation is only going to be much bigger.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
If the pilots were smart, the camera was removed.
The lawsuit implies otherwise.

"When the plane arrived in Phoenix, [Captain] Terry Graham and [First Officer] Ryan Russell immediately disembarked, leaving the plane unattended by piloting staff. This was both unusual and a violation of Southwest Airlines protocol.

Graham also left a loaded firearm unattended in the cockpit, violating Federal Aviation Administration regulations and posing a safety hazard to passengers, airline staff, and airport personnel."
The FAs picture of the iPad was shared with onboard crew.

"She pulled out her mobile phone and took a picture of the iPad which, at the time, displayed Graham in the restroom."

Her complaint has been in state court for a year. Only when it shifted to federal jurisdiction did the lawsuit go viral.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
The first report only said they left quickly - they could have removed the camera and then left quickly. To assume the did or did not deal with the camera based on the first story is... well, who knows?

The later posting does provide more information.

If anyone has a copy of the lawsuit, that would provide considerably more than what the headline grabbing media loves to publish.

As to the company trying to "hide it". Not quite sure. If it was my company with almost 60,000 employees, I surely would not be calling the local media to say we record people in the bathroom or even point out one (two) idiots. Every company has bad stuff take place with their employees on a regular basis. Spend a day in legal/HR and you would wonder how the human race survives.

I am not defending WN... just... well... is this the whole story?
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
This link provides a bit more detail - from the law office. Not good for WN.

https://www.baumhedlundlaw.com/10-19...mera-lavatory/
Old Oct 26, 2019, 5:57 pm

Southwest flight attendant alleges 2 pilots livestreamed video from inside plane bathroom

Southwest said it will vigorously defend the lawsuit.

"When the incident happened two years ago, we investigated the allegations and addressed the situation with the crew involved," the company said through a spokesperson Saturday. "We can confirm from our investigation that there was never a camera in the lavatory; the incident was an inappropriate attempt at humor which the company did not condone."
Old Oct 26, 2019, 6:50 pm

See posts #7 and #8 .
Old Oct 26, 2019, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SO,... what should be believe? Why do we always assume the worst? Or did it happen?

"We can confirm from our investigation that there was never a camera in the lavatory; the incident was an inappropriate attempt at humor which the company did not condone."
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 8:19 pm

The 4 flight attendants requested that management preserve the cockpit recordings from the flight to corroborate the details they described in the incident report.

If the CVR isn't available, SWA is likely home free.

The most benign explanation is that Steinaker was set up by two pilots to embarrass her. Glad they're still on the flight line.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 8:20 pm

"Steinaker and the other crew members also informed management that Graham and Russell had a short layover in Phoenix and were scheduled to fly to Nashville, and if permitted to leave, the pilots would further remove, hide, or destroy evidence of their wrongdoing. The crew members asked management to obtain the cockpit recordings from the flight to corroborate the details they described in their incident report, as well as the feed from Graham’s iPad and the camera footage from the airplane gate for the flight.

According to the lawsuit, however, the pilots were allowed to fly to Nashville on time with a new staff of flight attendants. Southwest Airlines told Steinaker and the other flight attendants that it would investigate the incident, but also ordered them to not discuss the incident with anyone."

I don't trust companies to investigate themselves. In my opinion, the management should have called in police to investigate it immediately, and hold the plane until the search is complete. I would imagine it's criminal violation in a lot of states to have secret cameras in bathroom, so just the allegation itself should have required police. So I choose to believe the FAs.
oreocookies likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 9:14 pm

The pilots may be home free, but SWA certainly is not. Even if there is no evidence left, the reputation hit associated with the way it's handled will certainly be there and significant. It's on every news channel.

And even if I were the pilots, I wouldn't be toasting yet. If Weinstein can be arrested for what supposedly happened many years ago, I can certainly see the same possibility for the two pilots.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by fttc
The pilots may be home free, but SWA certainly is not. Even if there is no evidence left, the reputation hit associated with the way it's handled will certainly be there and significant. It's on every news channel.

And even if I were the pilots, I wouldn't be toasting yet. If Weinstein can be arrested for what supposedly happened many years ago, I can certainly see the same possibility for the two pilots.
Drama much?
kennycrudup and nancypants like this.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld
Drama much?
You certainly are entitled to your blindness.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by fttc
You certainly are entitled to your blindness.
Yes, and I’ll take your advice to wait for fare sales and continue to fly them. And I’ll even use the lav!
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld
Yes, and I’ll take your advice to wait for fare sales and continue to fly them. And I’ll even use the lav!
Of course, this is a free country. Since you are taking my advice, here is another one for you then. Just pray a picture of you with your butt don't show up here someday.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 10:18 pm

Yikes. If this flight attendant did take a photo of it with her cell phone, it seems pretty clear cut. The company should've immediately investigated to gather the equipment and any evidence, saved the cockpit recorder, and suspended the pilots. This is such irresponsible behavior. The company says they investigated and there was no camera but like... duh, if the pilots were allowed to waltz out of the plane quickly, violating protocol - gee, I wonder where the camera could've gone?

Here's the thing, these creeps, Terry Graham and Ryan Russell, are still flying planes for Southwest. How can I check and make sure they aren't flying a plane I am on? I emailed Southwest when I found their response to the Max 8 inadequate, and they later reversed course by grounding Max 8s. I might need to email them again...

P.S. This story has been picked up by the New York Times. Good luck simply trying to brush this under the rug, Southwest: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/26/u...steinaker.html
Silver Fox likes this.

Last edited by oreocookies; Oct 26, 2019 at 10:30 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.