Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii from east coast.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2019, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I thought that was fixed in the last contracts.
Not that I am aware of. Maybe for the flight crew, but not all of the staff. There is a lot of ground crew involved, too. There are numerous different unions with numerous different contracts.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Odd this would be a bargaining chip, especially when HI had been planned for years. Planes have to fly overnight and have been doing for others for years. Why not prohibit operations in the rain, nobody likes that. Pay a shift differential and be done with it. This can't be the breaking factor not to fly a few red eyes!
Old Oct 24, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by joshua362
Planes have to fly overnight and have been doing for others for years. Why not prohibit operations in the rain, nobody likes that. This can't be the breaking factor not to fly a few red eyes!
I rather appreciate WN's Hawaii-mainland schedule of daytime flights. It would suck to fly on red-eyes like the other carriers operate just to accommodate east coast connections.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Tanic
It would suck to fly on red-eyes like the other carriers operate just to accommodate east coast connections.
It would suck even less with airplanes capable of reaching past PHX.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 12:39 pm

Costa Rica is your friend. Prettier than Hawaii
Old Oct 24, 2019, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic
I rather appreciate WN's Hawaii-mainland schedule of daytime flights. It would suck to fly on red-eyes like the other carriers operate just to accommodate east coast connections.
Other carriers allow non red-eyes to east coast. As an example, you can take two daytime flights on UA with an overnight in SFO:

Or you can take the redeye nonstop:

Last edited by Troopers; Oct 24, 2019 at 3:12 pm
Old Oct 24, 2019, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MrMan
Costa Rica is your friend. Prettier than Hawaii
Funny you should say that. I was just considering the Andaz in Liberia. As I dont think the hyatt properties in Hawaii are a good value with points. Except Waikiki and Costa Rica looks nicer then there.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 6:18 pm

Odd this would be a bargaining chip, especially when HI had been planned for years. Planes have to fly overnight and have been doing for others for years. Why not prohibit operations in the rain, nobody likes that. Pay a shift differential and be done with it. This can't be the breaking factor not to fly a few red eyes!
Then, what is the breaking factor?
Old Oct 24, 2019, 7:39 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by LegalTender
No one's mentioned a noise curfew at DAL. Is that gone?
I think the formal curfew is gone. WN and AS operate with a "gentleman's agreement" to limit departures to between 6 am and 10 pm.
LegalTender likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by NextTrip
Then, what is the breaking factor?
IDK, hence my disbelieve. I don't work there. Who in their right mind would ever bargain that away? And for what trade-off? I want a union protected job in aviation where 24 hour duty is the norm but you can't tell me when to work? Imagine i'm an 11 year old paper boy but won't deliver in the snow and rain? It might be true but am having a hard time believing it could not have been fixed by now.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 3:33 pm

IDK, hence my disbelieve. I don't work there. Who in their right mind would ever bargain that away? And for what trade-off? I want a union protected job in aviation where 24 hour duty is the norm but you can't tell me when to work? Imagine i'm an 11 year old paper boy but won't deliver in the snow and rain? It might be true but am having a hard time believing it could not have been fixed by now.
Since the workers have bargained contracts for years that state they aren't to work overnight, why would the workers want to change it? That is what the workers want. I'm not understanding who you think is supposed to "fix" this.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by NextTrip
Since the workers have bargained contracts for years that state they aren't to work overnight, why would the workers want to change it? That is what the workers want. I'm not understanding who you think is supposed to "fix" this.
I'm not sure it couldn't be or hasn't been bargained away to some extent already. Some workers will probably be willing to work overnight, with appropriate compensation. I believe the Mechanics already work overnight.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I'm not sure it couldn't be or hasn't been bargained away to some extent already. Some workers will probably be willing to work overnight, with appropriate compensation. I believe the Mechanics already work overnight.
But, the contracts are ratified by the union members and majority prevails. Sure, mechanics have already been working overnight. Flight crews and airport ground operations haven't and have voted down proposals in the past. Not to say it won't ever change.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

I'm going to try to resurrect this thread instead of starting a new one. I am trying to look at flights to Hawaii again. From PHL and BWI. On Southwest site, I see travel bookable until August something, but I see that a lot of the monthly calendars to HI don't go past May or June. Will they be adding more flights soon?
Old Jan 2, 2020, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by hanly2
I'm going to try to resurrect this thread instead of starting a new one. I am trying to look at flights to Hawaii again. From PHL and BWI. On Southwest site, I see travel bookable until August something, but I see that a lot of the monthly calendars to HI don't go past May or June. Will they be adding more flights soon?
Most likely no, the connection in ca Is no longer available most likely past a specific date where the calendar cuts off. For example I am cmh based but cant fly past this week cause swa eliminated our nonstop route to oakland.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.