Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii from east coast.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2019, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Couple questions. What is WN? Airports near me are Bwi, Phl, ewr. And others basically mid Atlantic. I don't know how to book a double ticket on one itinerary. If we have two companion passes will this be a problem at all?
Old Oct 19, 2019, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
WN is the two letter code for Southwest
hanly2 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
They have opted for not to serve the west coast to Hawaii market.
Wait. What??

For the foreseeable future, there is a Hotel California vibe on the other end. Californians heading to the Caribbean have a challenge to make the timing work out to go east with the Southwest schedules.
hanly2 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper
You can use multi-city to construct combinations on a single ticket each way. Still two tickets, but you will have protection in case of delays or misconnects. The return will almost certainly require an overnight layover. No way around it due to lack of red-eye departures from Hawaii. Looking at the pricing for multi-city fare combinations, it's not clear this is any more expensive than WN published through fares. I'm getting total fares from as low as $260 each way from DTW to Hawaii. This is less than legacies charge on the route which is typically over $300 each way for main cabin. It's also appears to be less that what WN charges on it's published through fares from MDW to Hawaii. As others have noted, it would helpful to know which East Coast city you are looking from.
Detroit isn't East coast lol. But you are seeing flights from dtw to Hawaii for $260 each way?
Old Oct 19, 2019, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrp96
WN is the two letter code for Southwest
Oh. Where is that code used? Sorry I guess I'm new to the slang.

Originally Posted by LegalTender
Wait. What??

For the foreseeable future, there is a Hotel California vibe on the other end. Californians heading to the Caribbean have a challenge to make the timing work out to go east with the Southwest schedules.
The grass is always greener right? That's why I also said screw Hawaii let's just go somewhere in the Caribbean. Short flights no time changes. But we have been to Jamaica and Bahamas already. Lol
Old Oct 19, 2019, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Tanic
HA has HNLBOS and HNLJFK redeye nonstops that are about 9.5 hours long. Macadamias... no peanuts.
Those aren't the issue. The comparison for WN is carriers which operate HI-West Coast and then connect onwards. WN can't make the hop nonstop with its aircraft so it's not even a consideration.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by hanly2
Though many refer to Southwest as SW - it is wrong. SWA or WN are the correct ones. Many others are more obvious DL=Delta, UA=United, AA= American Airlines

What is WN? (google)

All airline codes : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airline_codes
Old Oct 19, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
It's not slang. Every airline has a 2 character code. WN is Southwest Airlines. AA - American, UA - United, DL - Delta, F9 - Frontier, etc.

The grass is always greener right? That's why I also said screw Hawaii let's just go somewhere in the Caribbean. Short flights no time changes. But we have been to Jamaica and Bahamas already. Lol
It's not so much that the grass is always greener, it's that people on the West Coast experience the same issues going to some Caribbean locations due to the same time zone issue you are experiencing coming from HI. There are a good 6 or so other Caribbean locations that you could go to other than Nassau and Jamaica if Hawaii won't work for you.

The only thing that affects your ability to use your companion pass is if the seat you buy is the last one. Then there is no seat for the companion. Otherwise, destination, flight time, number of flights, etc, etc, make no difference.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Airports near me are Bwi, Phl, ewr. And others basically mid Atlantic. I don't know how to book a double ticket on one itinerary. If we have two companion passes will this be a problem at all?
For simplicity I'll assume you are departing HNL. You can buy published eastbound nonstop fares from HNL to OAK, SMF, SJC. And published connection fares to PHX, DEN, LAS, HOU, and MDW. That's as far as you can get without an overnight stay. You will need to piece together a 2 day itinerary. There are many permutations.

The easiest way to return is to stop in OAK or SJC overnight and get a morning nonstop flight to PHL or BWI. WN is terminating EWR service.

Just book the return as separate reservations each day; then add the companions after the underlying tickets are booked.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Though many refer to Southwest as SW - it is wrong.
Probably because it belongs to another airline,
Old Oct 19, 2019, 8:22 pm

I just booked Southwest to Kona and back via Oakland. It is a 5 hour overnight layover in Oakland on the return flight, but I had miles and it made it worth it.'For the flight out, there was also a 6 hour layover overnight in Oakland, but again, worth it because we had a bunch of points.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Detroit isn't East coast lol. But you are seeing flights from dtw to Hawaii for $260 each way?
But it is in the Eastern Time Zone I'm just using mutli-city to book a one-way trip by specifying DTW-OAK-HNL routing and reverse. You have to go the Advanced Search form to get the multi-city search option. On some dates, HNL-OAK is available for $139 and you can pair with an OAK-BWI flight the next day from $119 for a total of $252 one-way (when paired, you only have to pay the $5.60 TSA tax once which saves a bit). OAK-HNL flights seem to go for a bit more (from $179), so it's difficult to get less than $300 total when going westbound.
joshua362 likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 19, 2019 at 8:52 pm
Old Oct 19, 2019, 8:57 pm

Not sure why people say the return requires 2 reservations/PNRs? Just book BWI-HNL going, then HNL-OAK-BWI coming back using the multi city option. Protects you all the way back to BWI...
Old Oct 19, 2019, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 737MAX8
Not sure why people say the return requires 2 reservations/PNRs? Just book BWI-HNL going, then HNL-OAK-BWI coming back using the multi city option. Protects you all the way back to BWI...

I said it did like 6 years ago, I said i wasn't sure now....

Obviously they didn't fly to Hawaii 6 years ago, but this was from places in the south west
Old Oct 20, 2019, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Just for fun, I tried pricing this out and had two problems. 1) multi-city gives you the option to go from BWI to HNL, and HNL to OAK, but that's it. We need a circle trip, not an open jaw. 2) it says there are no scheduled flights from BWI to HNL. I checked all 7 days of the week, Wednesday Oct. 30 to Tuesday Nov. 5. Nothing. That means one has to buy a bunch of one-way tickets, BWI-OAK, OAK-HNL, HNL-OAK, OAK-BWI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.