FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   SW CC Spend Timing / Statement Closing Date (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1991720-sw-cc-spend-timing-statement-closing-date.html)

kyleay Oct 17, 2019 11:14 am

SW CC Spend Timing / Statement Closing Date

Hi All,
I just got approved for the 80k SW Biz card (5k spend in 3 months) and will apply for the Plus in a couple of weeks (hoping the in-flight 50k offer is still available when I fly on 11/1).

Anyway, I emailed Chase and found out my statement closing date is the 3rd of every month. If we disregard the risks of fraud, spending too much before the 3rd, etc., here's my question:
If I spend about $4k on 12/5, after previously putting $1k on the card, I should get the 80k + 4k (spend) points all posting in early 2020? Approximately what date would they post?

Chase wouldn't change my closing date unless I asked them to, right? Thanks all,
--Kyle

Critterlynn Oct 17, 2019 11:31 am

Originally Posted by kyamnitz (Post 31638788)
Hi All,
I just got approved for the 80k SW Biz card (5k spend in 3 months) and will apply for the Plus in a couple of weeks (hoping the in-flight 50k offer is still available when I fly on 11/1).

Anyway, I emailed Chase and found out my statement closing date is the 3rd of every month. If we disregard the risks of fraud, spending too much before the 3rd, etc., here's my question:
If I spend about $4k on 12/5, after previously putting $1k on the card, I should get the 80k + 4k (spend) points all posting in early 2019? Approximately what date would they post?

Chase wouldn't change my closing date unless I asked them to, right? Thanks all,
--Kyle

Assuming the CSR has given your accurate information and you closing date is indeed the 3rd of every month, you would receive the points shortly after your January statement closes.

To my knowledge Chase can't change your closing date unless you request it. However, there have been reports of extra statements dropping mid-cycle. I don't see how this is possible sense the statement date is directly tied to your payment due date. This is something I would think is unlikely to happen.

Just out of curiosity, what does it say your next payment due date is?

kyleay Oct 17, 2019 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Critterlynn (Post 31638856)
Just out of curiosity, what does it say your next payment due date is?

It says my payment due date is the 28th of each month (and that's confirmed in my account info online). Thanks,
--Kyle

NoStressHere Oct 17, 2019 11:58 am

...Anyway, I emailed Chase and found out my statement closing date is the 3rd of every month. If we disregard the risks of fraud, spending too much before the 3rd, etc., here's my question:
If I spend about $4k on 12/5, after previously putting $1k on the card, I should get the 80k + 4k (spend) points all posting in early 2019? Approximately what date would they post?....

First off, I assume you meant they would post in early 2020 (not 2019).

Yes, you would see 80k+4k post in early 2020... on or about Jan 5th. You need to have other points post on or after Jan 1st to reach 125,000 in 2020.

kyleay Oct 17, 2019 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere (Post 31638953)
First off, I assume you meant they would post in early 2020 (not 2019).

Yes, you would see 80k+4k post in early 2020... on or about Jan 5th. You need to have other points post on or after Jan 1st to reach 125,000 in 2020.

Doh! Yes, that's what I meant, thanks. :)

nsx Oct 17, 2019 12:21 pm

Once your first statement actually prints, your billing cycle should remain the same. Before the first statement we have seen changes occur.

kyleay Oct 17, 2019 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by nsx (Post 31639029)
Once your first statement actually prints, your billing cycle should remain the same. Before the first statement we have seen changes occur.

Good to know, thank you!

toomanybooks Oct 17, 2019 1:13 pm

Look, people have reported all kinds of things. Who knows if they are accurate, lying, crazy, whatever?

There have definitely been reports of irregular statement dates in the first few months of cardholdership. Go back and read similar threads from 2018, 17, 16, etc. It’s all there.

And of course things change in this hobby.

ANY spend you do before 1/1/20 carries some risk of triggering the early CP, in multiple ways.

NoStressHere Oct 17, 2019 2:46 pm

I have seen lots of data points regarding the first bill (or two), but not sure if I have seen anything about dates after that. They seem to level out once in their "cycle". EDIT: A card that was approved today shows December 13 for my first due date. That is 60 days from now. As pointed out in the next post - that is probably correct.

What I have seen hundreds of times is people that just do not figure it out and say one thing but reality is often different. They get locked in to Dec 31 and will not listen to anything else.

1 - I spent the money on time, but the charge did not show on my statement. (not unusual with any credit card)
2 - I paid off my bill early, but still did not get the points until after the statement. (Closing date of statement is all that matters)
3 - I made the spend on Dec 30th but they counted it for January. (yep....)
4 - I spent enough but then returned something that I bought the previous month and they took it off this month. (not worth any comment there)
5 - I got the points in my RR account before I even got a bill. (of course you did - called mail delivery time)

Critterlynn Oct 17, 2019 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere (Post 31639552)
I have seen lots of data points regarding the first bill (or two), but not sure if I have seen anything about dates after that. They seem to level out once in their "cycle". I know my dates will 100% change. A card that was approved today shows December 13 for my first due date. That is 60 days from now. Bet it changes by time I get my first statement.

What I have seen hundreds of times is people that just do not figure it out and say one thing but reality is often different. They get locked in to Dec 31 and will not listen to anything else.

1 - I spent the money on time, but the charge did not show on my statement. (not unusual with any credit card)
2 - I paid off my bill early, but still did not get the points until after the statement. (Closing date of statement is all that matters)
3 - I made the spend on Dec 30th but they counted it for January. (yep....)
4 - I spent enough but then returned something that I bought the previous month and they took it off this month. (not worth any comment there)
5 - I got the points in my RR account before I even got a bill. (of course you did - called mail delivery time)

I bet you are wrong. A December 13th due date more than likely means you have a November 16th closing date. This means you received your card right at the beginning of a statement cycle. People get confused because they think it should be 30 days max instead of 60. But what you have to consider is since it is a new card, there is no payment due until your first statement has closed. In this case, that first statement closing would be 30 days from now.

This is just my opinion and I could very well be wrong. But keep track of this and let us know. This could be a very good data point.

NoStressHere Oct 17, 2019 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Critterlynn (Post 31639595)
I bet you are wrong. A December 13th due date more than likely means you have a November 16th closing date. This means you received your card right at the beginning of a statement cycle. People get confused because they think it should be 30 days max instead of 60. But what you have to consider is since it is a new card, there is no payment due until your first statement has closed. In this case, that first statement closing would be 30 days from now.

This is just my opinion and I could very well be wrong. But keep track of this and let us know. This could be a very good data point.

(original post edited)

I think you are right on the money here regarding my first due date. I should have thought through this. So, it looks like I will not have companion pass until about Jan 18th. Biz card should post around around the 13th.

A real duh on this side of the pickle fork!

Critterlynn Oct 17, 2019 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere (Post 31639618)
(original post edited)

I think you are right on the money here regarding my first due date. I should have thought through this. So, it looks like I will not have companion pass until about Jan 18th. Biz card should post around around the 13th.

A real duh on this side of the pickle fork!

I'm not 100% sure on anything. But that's why I would like you to let us know how it turns out.

NoStressHere Oct 17, 2019 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Critterlynn (Post 31640054)
I'm not 100% sure on anything. But that's why I would like you to let us know how it turns out.

Sure - will let folks know. But, in most cases, the information will no longer be valuable - LOL!

BHMMel Oct 23, 2019 12:50 pm

Have SW biz card in hand. Opened 10/8/19. How do I determine my statement date?

Just trying to list all these purchases and time my spending to qualify for Companion Pass. My open date is 10/8/19. How do I determine my statement date? Do I have to wait for my first statement?

nsx Oct 23, 2019 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by BHMMel (Post 31659378)
Do I have to wait for my first statement?

That's what I would do. It's more reliable than other methods.