Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

CP requirement goes to 125K 1/1/20; points no longer expire

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CP requirement goes to 125K 1/1/20; points no longer expire

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2019, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by steved5480
Took a minute to decode your question. Cool idea, but in a word...NO.

Those numbers are simply referencing footnotes at the bottom of the announcement (weblink and/or email). Nothing more.
I know they were footnotes that weren't converted when they were copied and pasted, but thought it was funny in the way it could be interpreted.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by darrenpb
I don't think I will be flying a hundred flights in order to get a CP for half a dozen or so flights.
Some folks will continue to fly over 100 flights per year with or without concerns for CP.

There are even some folks that fly 100, have a CP and never use it.

And - there are folks that will only fly SW a few times a year.

And some that never fly SW.

DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS.
joshua362, Boraxo and steved5480 like this.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
As soon as I saw the subject line in my inbox this morning, "We're making some changes to Rapid Rewards", my immediate thought was, "Oh @#%!, this won't be good." And... yeah, them increasing the CP threshold to 125k is disappointing. I've had CP for several years, about half the time having stretched just to reach 110k.

I figure WN is doing this to decrease the number of people who game the system, earning CP just by opening two credit cards and charging generic spend. Ironically this will push me to game the CCs more, churning through them more often for signup bonuses that-- in addition to my CPQP from flights-- I'll need to hit the higher target.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 10:50 am

Airlines make a ton of money from CC signups so WN probably loves this. I know a ton of folks who got CP from that CA CC offer a while ago then ended up taking like 3-4 flights total. The number of folks who actually really get amazing value from CP is more limited than I thought. I def use it a lot when I have it, but know many who have it and still barely use it .
Old Oct 17, 2019, 10:51 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by olouie
The number of folks who actually really get amazing value from CP is more limited than I thought.
True. This is why the CP still exists.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by nsx
Now I will have to tell the people I put onto this deal that they need to add a personal card to the business card. Fortunately they will all qualify. In one case the timing is close to 24 months from earning their last personal card bonus.

How was a person getting companion pass from just the 80K Business card ?

IMO this is good news, we all knew a change the 110k was coming soon and they are still letting people qualify via credit cards.

Getting CP is a bit harder but still relatively easy when compared to the savings it provides.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 11:07 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by nsx
Now I will have to tell the people I put onto this deal that they need to add a personal card to the business card.
Frankly, what irks me most about this very late change is that it makes me look like a giver of unreliable advice. Less than 48 hours after telling people about Southwest's amazing deal I have to back and tell them that Southwest sucker punched us. Southwest knows that 6 months' or more notice for an adverse change is a best practice, but they don't seem to care.

I suppose we gamers deserve to be gamed in return.
screeton likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by nsx
Frankly, what irks me most about this very late change is that it makes me look like a giver of unreliable advice. Less than 48 hours after telling people about Southwest's amazing deal I have to back and tell them that Southwest sucker punched us. Southwest knows that 6 months' or more notice for an adverse change is a best practice, but they don't seem to care.

I suppose we gamers deserve to be gamed in return.
Still better than what UA pulled. 15k points increase for CP isn't the best, but when I saw the email I feared much worse (was expecting to see 150k).
Old Oct 17, 2019, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
outstanding - will make it a bit tougher for those who wanted to game system by qualifying just after January 2020 - will have to charge quite a bit more $$ or figure a way to get a personal and business card. I'm thinking specifically of our blogger friend GLEFF who just applied for the 80k card.

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
There are even some folks that fly 100, have a CP and never use it.

And - there are folks that will only fly SW a few times a year.
That would be me! I have only used CP a few times this year - just didn't work much for our family vacation schedule as we went to Europe and don't tend to fly around the USA much. Also the prices to Mexico have been obscenely high (as is the case for all airlines) so one free flight doesn't incentivize the family to use WN.

I have a friend who qualified for CP with 100 segments a few years running. He did not have anyone to designate as a companion so he got even less use from his CP than we did this year.

Ergo I don't think WN is too worried about adding more CPs, they just want you to spend more with Chase to keep Chase happy.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: SWA
Is there any indication they're doing away with the "you earn the companion pass for the balance of the year in which you earn it AND the following year"?
Old Oct 17, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: UA Plat
Just cancelled my Chase Rapid rewards card now that points don't expire. Quick Reply
nsx and ryw like this.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 11:25 am

Unless Southwest hooks me up, a companion pass is of no personal consequence.

Does the switch to points never expiring overall increase redemption costs?
Old Oct 17, 2019, 11:34 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LegalTender
My guess: It makes customers more willing to carry large points balances, reducing redemption in the short run. That was the effect on me when DL eliminated expiration.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by LegalTender

There are so many different scenarios that make it difficult to say if the TOTAL redemption costs will increase or not. Some of these factors could increase and decrease $$ or WN. Sometimes using points also results in a purchased ticket. Sometimes not. There is also a marketing value that you can not put a $$ figure on.

Guessing some will no longer think they need to use up points and they sit around.
Some will no longer buy points to top off for a specific trip.
In my case, I will no longer do surveys to keep points active. (did not earn any points for two years while a CP)
Some people will not have points expire, but will use in the future since they do not expire.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 11:57 am

Considering how easy it is to hit 110-125k points with a signup bonus or two (or a little MS), this isn't a big deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.