Wiki Posts
Search

Segment run?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2019, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A-List, Marriott Tit
Segment run?

I didn't travel much this year due to a new baby, but I'll be back in the saddle next year. I did 41 segments in 2018, but only 14 this year. So, I can add two LAS segments to 2 upcoming trips, then do 4 PHX-LAS runs (the last one including an LAX pop-in for that final segment) to make A-List. Cost around $520. Would you do it?

I was on the fence, but I just got home ~5 hours earlier due to same-day standby. I jumped to the head of a 9-person standby list and saved $280, both thanks to A-List.

I know this is subjective, but I'd love your thoughts.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to be clear, WN doesn't actually count "segments". They count one-way trips as a single "flight" (which may include multiple segments) for A-List qualification. Are you sure each of these segments will count as a separate "flight"?
Old Oct 15, 2019, 12:20 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by xliioper
Just to be clear, WN doesn't actually count "segments". They count one-way trips as a single "flight" (which may include multiple segments) for A-List qualification. Are you sure each of these segments will count as a separate "flight"?
The trips will count if booked on separate PNRs at each stop.

The "Getaway Fare Finder" was great for putting back-to-back cheap segments together, but now it takes more work finding these combinations.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 9:45 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
$520 for A-list? That depends on how much you plan to fly Southwest in 2020.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 10:04 am

I've booked a couple of flights extra, usually an optional trip, to get A-List in the past, but I doubt I'd spend $520. If I was that short I'd probably just pay for Early Bird. $520 would buy 20-30 early birds (assuming they don't raise the price again), almost enough flights to qualify for A-List. You wouldn't get the Bonus points so that could be factored in.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 11:20 am

If the work schedule you'll be returning to next year will allow you to take advantage of the standby perk fairly regularly, I'd go for it. That is a fantastic benefit. While I can't actually value it at face value - I wouldn't usually pay the fare difference to fly earlier - I do value it highly. Add in autocheckin, A61 boarding, and a few extra points, and I wouldn't have much trouble rationalizing it away. Check recent threads, someone put something really impressive together recently...
Old Oct 15, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by synergistic
Check recent threads, someone put something really impressive together had a bunch of time to kill and a bunch of $30 fares recently...
(... and it wasn't that bad, actually)
synergistic likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A-List, Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
(... and it wasn't that bad, actually)
Nice! If I had had more foresight I would have done that run with you!
Old Oct 20, 2019, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I'd spend that $520 next year to either get A-List sooner and/or do a mix of EB and Upgraded Boarding purchases. Maybe 8 $39 legs, 6 EB at $15, and a couple of UBs.
boulderlaw likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.