Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ticket purchased with gift card. How is the return handled?

Old Oct 12, 2019, 11:23 am
Original Poster

How does SW deal with a ticket return, if the ticket was paid in part with a gift card and the return is within 24 hours? Specifically, will SW issue a new gift card or reload the existing card or do something different altogether?

Here is the official policy. It simply state to call in this case but does not explain how the return will be handled.
A Southwest gift card redeemed for travel is not refundable. If travel is not taken, the funds will be held funds with an expiration date. If applied with any other accepted form(s) of payment, the earliest expiration date of all forms of payment applies. If you cancel your reservation within 24 hours of booking and all or part of the reservation was paid using a Southwest gift card, please visit our Refunds page for more information.
Same on the Refunds page
If you call or cancel online at Southwest.com within 24 hours of booking, Southwest will offer you the option of refunding the airfare back to the original form of payment, or retaining the credit to be used toward future travel. If you purchased all or part of the reservation using a Southwest gift card or a Southwest LUV Voucher and cancelled the reservation within 24 hours of booking, contact Customer Relations.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 11:55 am

Previously my understanding was that the return would only be handled as funds, calling would possibly generate a voucher. Recently though I've heard reports of people saying that they had a new gift card issued. So it appears there are some options available. Worth contacting Customer Relations.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
Previously my understanding was that the return would only be handled as funds, calling would possibly generate a voucher. Recently though I've heard reports of people saying that they had a new gift card issued. So it appears there are some options available. Worth contacting Customer Relations.
Future use funds in the name the ticket was booked under. I didnt call or push the issue cause I had use for the funds.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by Beachchaser
Future use funds in the name the ticket was booked under. I didnt call or push the issue cause I had use for the funds.
Yes, that's the initial response. One would need to contact Customer Relations (not the "regular" number") and specifically request a "refund" in order to receive anything different.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 12:54 pm

Paid taxes on an award flight using a gift card and now need to cancel, any recent reports of getting refunded back to gift card? Thanks
Old Mar 21, 2022, 2:49 pm

Programs: SWA Alist, Companion Pass
Check out the thread aptly titled "WN Gift Card -> Rez -> Cancel = Travel Funds". Customer Service was apparently able to refund to the gift card when the PIN was provided. IDK if that was an exception, but seems like it being refunded back to a gift card worked for somebody.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 3:08 pm
Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Rapid Rewards, IHG/Kimpton, Bonvoy, AA/oneworld, British Airways
Officially, https://www.southwest.com/faq/refund...hod-of-payment

nsx, oceanbreeez and jmw like this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by SWAVictor
Thanks so i just called regular customer service and they couldn't do anything, claim they don't have ability to refund back to gift card.

Also based on this do I cancel 1st and call after or call them 1st to cancel?
Old Mar 22, 2022, 8:30 am
Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Rapid Rewards, IHG/Kimpton, Bonvoy, AA/oneworld, British Airways
Originally Posted by ascg
Thanks so i just called regular customer service and they couldn't do anything, claim they don't have ability to refund back to gift card.

Also based on this do I cancel 1st and call after or call them 1st to cancel?
The important part is to get it canceled within the 24 hour time frame. You can either cancel it yourself and then call in to discuss the refund options, or you can ask them to cancel it as part of the call.

If you are within the 24 hour time frame, and the representative says there is nothing they can do, you may need to escalate to a supervisor.
jjbiv likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.