SWA Credit Card Annual Fee

Old Oct 12, 2019, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, WN
It also unfortunate that one can't downgrade to a Chase no annual fee credit card from a SWA card without closing a card and affecting a credit score. Seems like the company policy is set-up to repel rather than attract long-term customers. The marketing department needs improvement.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Ok, here's the million dollar question:

Why did the OP keep a card for 20 years that they feel does not offer good value?

Personally i dont know why anyone would keep this card past the first year. But assuming the OP does fly WN often there are much better options.

My advice, if RR points are important to you, would be to apply for the Southwest priority card and get that signup bonus. With the $75 credit and the 7,500 points, this card more than pays for itself so long as you fly Southwest. Then i would cancel your other card when the $69 fee hits. Make sure to wait until your annual bonus post to your RR account. Your annual fee will be refunded but you will keep the points.

The hit to your credit rating has been overstated. Even if its your oldest card it will remain on your credit report for ten years. In the meantime, other accounts will have time to age and lessen the effect on your score.

Another option would be to upgrade to the Priority card. But by doing so, you would lose the signup bonus. However you would keep your oldest account alive.

Last edited by Critterlynn; Oct 12, 2019 at 7:20 pm
Old Oct 12, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Not sure I have ever heard of Chase waiving the annual fee on the WN cards. Your experience is standard.
I was offered a $100 statement credit on the $95 AF WN card a couple years ago.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 8:15 pm

After reading through the OP's posting history, it makes absolutely no sense for him/her to have any airline or hotel loyalty card. There were numerous post about redemptions of points for magazines and amazon gift cards. I'd imagine at most they were redeemed for $.01/point. Possibly less.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Vitaforce
I have had this card for over 20 years with never a late payment and the representative wouldn't budge when I asked about waiving the annual fee of $69 that is impending next month. Customer loyalty and excellent payment history meant nothing. The 3,000 annual bonus points doesn't come close to negating the annual fee. Representative also could not guarantee a statement credit would be offered if I called in the future asking for one in the amount of the annual fee. So basically, I would have to gamble to see if the representative would offer a statement credit next month. If not, then I would cancel and then immediately lose $69.

I am disappointed at how the SWA Chase Visa disvalues longtime customers.
You might want to upgrade that puppy to the rr priority card where for a mere $80 more you get a $75 swa travel credit, 7,500 anniversary bonus points and 4 upgraded boarding statement credits per account anniversary.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by Critterlynn
Ok, here's the million dollar question:

Why did the OP keep a card for 20 years that they feel does not offer good value?

Personally i dont know why anyone would keep this card past the first year. But assuming the OP does fly WN often there are much better options.

My advice, if RR points are important to you, would be to apply for the Southwest priority card and get that signup bonus. With the $75 credit and the 7,500 points, this card more than pays for itself so long as you fly Southwest. Then i would cancel your other card when the $69 fee hits. Make sure to wait until your annual bonus post to your RR account. Your annual fee will be refunded but you will keep the points.

The hit to your credit rating has been overstated. Even if its your oldest card it will remain on your credit report for ten years. In the meantime, other accounts will have time to age and lessen the effect on your score.

Another option would be to upgrade to the Priority card. But by doing so, you would lose the signup bonus. However you would keep your oldest account alive.
Tbh the lack of cost benefit analysis in consumer decisions makes the banking industry very profitable.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Beachchaser
Tbh the lack of cost benefit analysis in consumer decisions makes the banking industry very profitable.
This is something that I am very grateful for since people like the OP help to subsidize my rewards.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 8:48 pm

This is something that I am very grateful for since people like the OP help to subsidize my rewards.
P2 holds the premier card since 2009 as her anchor card, we take a net loss of $15 but between the history reporting to the cbr and the ability to top up if need be we are fine paying the fee as most of our spend goes on cfu, cf and csr to optimize rewards.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 9:44 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Well OP thinks $20K per year spend somehow makes him more valuable to Chase than others. There are many people who pay $450 AF PER CARD and spend WAY WAY more than that on their cards and still don't get a break. My 1 year AF on 1 Chase card is equivalent to 6.5 years of OP's $69 dollars AF. By OP's logic, since the interchange fee on my card is higher because it's a premium card (How interchange fee works) and I spend way more on it, Chase should be kissing my rear end daily and giving me AF waivers, since I'm more deserving on a per dollar basis but they don't and I don't expect them to.

My AF just came due also on the AMEX Platinum at $725. $550 primary plus $175 for authorized users. At 3%+ interchange fee AMEX charges, AMEX should be bending backwards to kiss my rear end but they don't. Its not even a thing I would be thinking to ask for in the first place.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 12:12 am

I also have a negative balance on this card (meaning I overpaid last month's bill). Is it a hassle to obtain a check for the amount of the negative balance upon cancellation or is it automatic?
Even if your don't cancel or request a refund they will eventually send you a check.

I had that happen to a Chase card recently.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
OPs one and only CC is the Chase WN.

I suggest he is not playing the game right.
sdsearch and ursine1 like this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
OPs one and only CC is the Chase WN.

I suggest he is not playing the game right.
I once was in ops shoes charging 25k on my wn premier card as my daily driver then I found out about how I could diversify my annual spend, optimize my rewards and get free hotels and resorts with new account bonuses to supplement normal earnings.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is the only credit card I have had for the last 20 years.
Then I suggest you get a no-annual-fee credit card of some kind right now and plan to keep that card "forever".

That'll give you more options regarding your existing Southwest card, because it'll start new "long-held card" history. Yes, it'll take some years before it's significant "long-held card" history, but better to start now than later, if you're not sure how much longer you're going to keep this Southwest card and it's the only one you have.

It also unfortunate that one can't downgrade to a Chase no annual fee credit card from a SWA card without closing a card and affecting a credit score. Seems like the company policy is set-up to repel rather than attract long-term customers.
It is indeed unfortunate for you, but I think you may not realize how rare your situation is. Most people don't have one card with an annual fee and no other cards. Most people don't move up to an annual fee card until they've got other cards with no annual fee. And thus most people aren't in your situation where the card with an annual fee that you can't downgrade is your only card.

So I bet Chase didn't expect anyone to be in your situation, when they came up with their marketing approach. So you may want to talk to a "supervisor" at Chase and explain your situation and see if there's any kind of exception they can make given your situation (of this being your only card that you've had for the last 20 years).

Chase does downgrade partner cards to generic cards when those partner cards are discontinued. So there is some mechanism within Chase for downgrading from partner cards to generic cards. It's just that it might take "special intervention" to make it possible in a case where the card isn't being discontinued.

But again, I suggest you apply for a no-annual-fee "keeper" card first, and do everything else later.

Last edited by sdsearch; Oct 13, 2019 at 10:23 am
Old Oct 13, 2019, 10:48 am
Original Poster

How do I help subsidize your rewards?
Old Oct 13, 2019, 10:53 am
Original Poster

After reading through the OP's posting history, it makes absolutely no sense for him/her to have any airline or hotel loyalty card. There were numerous post about redemptions of points for magazines and amazon gift cards. I'd imagine at most they were redeemed for $.01/point. Possibly less.

True, but I have also redeemed for Southwest flights in the past as well. Mathematically, a no annual fee cash back card with a high percentage of cash back is equal to or superior than the Southwest Visa.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.