Search

Southwest ending Senior Fares

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2019, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Southwest ending Senior Fares

Looks like Senior Fares are going away.

Senior Travel

Notice: As of December 11, 2019, Senior fares are no longer available for purchase. Our Customers mean everything to us. We’re committed to providing friendly, reliable service and low fares with heart. You’ll still get all that with our other fare features.

I can't imagine they sold many. Simplification? Still, not the best optics.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:15 am

They sold a whole bunch of senior fares including to me. They are often (but not always) way less expensive
Old Oct 11, 2019, 9:40 am

I often buy them for last minute travel to save a few bucks.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 10:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MrAOK
They sold a whole bunch of senior fares including to me. They are often (but not always) way less expensive
Did the senior fare vary widely (with respect to the lowest "regular" WGA fare)? I was always under the impression that it was a few bucks off a walk-up fare.

I sometimes book flights for my mother (age 70) and honestly never thought about the senior fares or even where to look for them.
trooper likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Senior fares were almost always more than WGA and less than anytime.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

By definition Senior Fares were a discount off of the Anytime fare. When I occasionally checked for relatives, that discount was usually quite small, 5% or so. They did vary widely, in an indiscernible way, and used to offer a greater general discount years ago compared with more recently.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
What was the eligible age for Senior fares?
Old Oct 11, 2019, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
What was the eligible age for Senior fares?
Old Oct 11, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Never did use the discount, but over the years I have given many trips away to seniors.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped
Did the senior fare vary widely (with respect to the lowest "regular" WGA fare)? I was always under the impression that it was a few bucks off a walk-up fare.

I sometimes book flights for my mother (age 70) and honestly never thought about the senior fares or even where to look for them.
On the desktop site there's a selector next to Adult. Here's a quick grab from LAS-MDW that shows the amazing discount. (YMMV.)

satman40 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 5:11 am

The Senior fare was a often a great deal for last minute travel when Wanna Get Away fares were not available. I finally reached 65 and now it's gone. Very disappointing.

ursine1 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Thanks for the explanation. I messed around with it for a bit, ex-MCI to the only two places my mother would ever have to go in an absolute emergency situation (family in Chicago and Minnesota). Chicago is the basic 5%. But MSP is a more-generous 20-ish%

We thankfully have never needed to buy these fares, but I can see where the people who have (and who have used the higher discounts) will miss them.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 3:03 am
Original Poster

Potential reason: Future fare "enhancements."

nsx likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by ursine1
Potential reason: Future fare "enhancements."

And terminating special children's fares will lead to more fare enhancements?
Old Oct 13, 2019, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

I suspect that Children and Infant fares haven't also been eliminated because they are often used operationally, as a "discount" offered when a parent shows up with an unverifiable lap child and is forced to purchase them a seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.