Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Will Become Companion Soon - Any way to use travel funds?

Old Oct 8, 19, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

We are about to switch who is the companion soon. Right now my wife buys tickets and I fly free. Starting in January, I will be buying tickets and she flies free. We have some funds left over from cancelled trips that will expire - some in Jan, some in July.

I think I read you can use those funds for the $5.60 fee, and of course to pay for a flight.

But - nothing else?

Luckily I think the most I have exposed is around $150 over a few different tickets.
Old Oct 8, 19, 11:43 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: LTP, PP
Nope - locked to the purchaser. Combine all funds into a January ticket (which will taint all of them), cancel, let expire, call and ask for a voucher (good for anyone) for a $100 fee deduction. Better than a sharp stick in the eye if you can't use.
Old Oct 8, 19, 11:46 am

Travel funds can be used towards flights and taxes/fees by the original passenger. Once they expire you can request reissue as a voucher, but the fee is $100 so that may not be worth it. Vouchers can be used by anyone, but not for taxes/fees. (There's a workaround however -- apply voucher to flight, cancel and use funds towards taxes/fees on new flights).
Old Oct 8, 19, 12:55 pm

Programs: WN F9 UA AA IHG HH MR
Depending on the amount, either use the January TFs for an unexpected flight, or just let them expire.
Old Oct 8, 19, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Do you and your wife fly separately at all? My partner flies as my companion most of the time but a few times a year she flies solo. She has business trips about twice a year, and when I extend one my trips into an adjacent weekend we buy a ticket for her to meet me Friday evening.
Old Oct 8, 19, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by darthbimmer View Post
Do you and your wife fly separately at all? My partner flies as my companion most of the time but a few times a year she flies solo. She has business trips about twice a year, and when I extend one my trips into an adjacent weekend we buy a ticket for her to meet me Friday evening.
It happens... but very rare. Will leave the funds out there as long as they are good just in case.

Actually - I have actually considered getting the 80k in her name as well since she has enough miles/points from this year to reach CP - would only be good for a year, but we might have a couple family trips that she could do a Companion on... seems a bit crazy, but 80k is nothing to let go - along with 4 upgrades.

Search this Thread