Southwest GDS availability starting in mid 2020

Old Oct 4, 19, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, WN A List, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz 5*
Southwest GDS availability starting in mid 2020

Aside from the press release, this month's GK letter also talked about the upcoming GDS distribution. This appears to be a big change if done primarily to support corporate travel portals. I expect some of the big consumer travel sites will also support ticketing if they agree to the Southwest ticket management rules (it would be discriminatory not to allow them).

I wonder though if this will force Southwest to offer lower fares in some cases, especially in close-in situations where competitors also have lower pricing due to unsold inventory.

Most large corporate sites that have SWA have built those direct connections already, but I suspect many SMB users need better ways to compare fares as they use travel policy tools.

I know there will likely be some more RR and service changes to come as well when this goes live.
synergistic likes this.
Old Oct 4, 19, 8:36 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Assuming you've witnessed Southwest's IT expertise in action, please don't hold your breath.
ursine1 and joshua362 like this.
Old Oct 5, 19, 12:30 am

Whilst my confidence in WN IT is limited - to say the least - I am looking forward to this! Since the loss of the getaway map, the only reason I've been on WN this year has been their odd schedule change open seasons. If they start showing up on the google flights 'where can I go for cheap next month??' map, they'll be solidly back on my radar.
Old Oct 5, 19, 9:20 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by rasheed View Post

I wonder though if this will force Southwest to offer lower fares in some cases, especially in close-in situations where competitors also have lower pricing due to unsold inventory.
The legacies don't really do this. Take a look at fare listings on EF and you will see all the cheapest fares on domestic routes generally have a 21-day advance purchase requirement, followed by 14-day, 7-day and 3-day advance purchase fares. You may have found some close-in discounted fare back when Priceline was doing name your own price. But they seem to have gotten out of this business and only list published fares these days.

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 5, 19 at 9:35 pm
Old Oct 6, 19, 7:17 am

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Not knowing what a GDS system is.... found a few articles.

https://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-...e-GDS-bookings

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global...ibution_system
SWcrester likes this.

Search this Thread