WN FA photographs, insults passenger online

Old Oct 4, 19, 10:17 am
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicagoland, IL, USA
Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 13,311
WN FA photographs, insults passenger online

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...rt/3852213002/

This idiot employee, who clearly knows nothing of proper customer service or his place in the world or in the company hierarchy, should be fired on the spot. Case closed, the end.

Same deal if he insulted a Bernie Bro.

Who trains these jokers?
toomanybooks is offline  
Old Oct 4, 19, 11:16 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Posts: 8,907
He did not say he failed to give "proper customer service", but instead posted what many would consider a tongue in cheek comment on the shirt -

quote: "...Someone did NOT get my most Positively Outrageous Service today on my flight".

And, even though he made that statement, one can not assume he even gave less than GREAT service.

Too bad too many people take this stuff so serious and want to fire people for just sharing comments with friends. Yes, identifying himself as a SW employee was a lack of judgement. And posting online was a lapse in judgement. If having lack of judgement was a reason for getting fired, there are some folks we may know that would have been fired a long time ago.
samwise6222 and pinkibone like this.
NoStressHere is offline  
Old Oct 4, 19, 11:59 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicagoland, IL, USA
Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 13,311
Originally Posted by NoStressHere View Post
He did not say he failed to give "proper customer service", but instead posted what many would consider a tongue in cheek comment on the shirt -

quote: "...Someone did NOT get my most Positively Outrageous Service today on my flight".

And, even though he made that statement, one can not assume he even gave less than GREAT service.

Too bad too many people take this stuff so serious and want to fire people for just sharing comments with friends. Yes, identifying himself as a SW employee was a lack of judgement. And posting online was a lapse in judgement. If having lack of judgement was a reason for getting fired, there are some folks we may know that would have been fired a long time ago.
How can I put this nicely?

You are wrong.

If I had an employee like this, hed be gone instantly. You DO NOT EVER insult your customers, especially when you are some low-end nobody whose political opinion is completely worthless anyway.

Ever. Ever. You keep your trap shut and do your job.
Rd3, PlaneJane1, FindAWay and 8 others like this.
toomanybooks is offline  
Old Oct 4, 19, 12:27 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SJC
Programs: Bonvoy Tit Forever, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR
Posts: 3,749
It's too bad I can only "Like" @toomanybooks ' post but once.
MSPeconomist likes this.
kennycrudup is offline  
Old Oct 4, 19, 12:31 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,493
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
especially when you are some low-end nobody
...and this is how you refer to others? How ironic. Are we to assume that you consider yourself a high-end somebody and thus superior to others? SMH.
smmrfld is offline  
Old Oct 4, 19, 1:50 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: SNA
Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PALT
Posts: 145
Originally Posted by NoStressHere View Post
He did not say he failed to give "proper customer service", but instead posted what many would consider a tongue in cheek comment on the shirt -

quote: "...Someone did NOT get my most Positively Outrageous Service today on my flight".

And, even though he made that statement, one can not assume he even gave less than GREAT service.

Too bad too many people take this stuff so serious and want to fire people for just sharing comments with friends. Yes, identifying himself as a SW employee was a lack of judgement. And posting online was a lapse in judgement. If having lack of judgement was a reason for getting fired, there are some folks we may know that would have been fired a long time ago.
Nope. The employee has questionable judgement and has admitted to providing less than the standard corporate customer service policy based on an albet controversial political belief.

This is no different than an employee discriminating on a passenger wearing a "Trans Rights ARE HUMAN RIGHTS!" shirt or "Black Live MATTER!". The secondary responsibility of FA are to look after the passanger not to base service on political judgements.
MSPeconomist, swaluvr and trooper like this.
OUTraveling is offline  
Old Oct 4, 19, 2:09 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: BNA (Nashville)
Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 2,373
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
How can I put this nicely?

You are wrong.

If I had an employee like this, hed be gone instantly. You DO NOT EVER insult your customers, especially when you are some low-end nobody whose political opinion is completely worthless anyway.

Ever. Ever. You keep your trap shut and do your job.
Well, the guy's hat did say 'suck it up buttercup'.
bitterproffit is online now  
Old Oct 4, 19, 2:11 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Posts: 8,907
From what I can read - he did not DIRECTLY insult the customer or even say anything negative to the customer. Nor do we know if he did or did not treat the customer less than normal. We only know the comment he posted on his Facebook to friends. Comments that most people dealing with the public might joke about in private.

He posted a picture. 100% Wrong.
He added some smart ... comments. Wrong.

Meanwhile:

And, if any employee of mine ever called someone a "low-end nobody" - I guess I would have to fire him immediately.
NoStressHere is offline  
Old Oct 4, 19, 2:15 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 87
I think the larger transgression is posting a passengers picture. Comments or opinions aside, that is a big no no.

I guess inclusion and hospitality is a one way street for some.

Im sure it will be handled internally with Southwest and not publicized
joshua362 likes this.
PlaneJane1 is offline  
Old Oct 4, 19, 2:18 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: DAY
Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Posts: 1,443
Last quote in the article: "You can’t just go out and lash out at people, just because that’s the way you feel, at your job. Even as a human being you shouldn’t do that. You should have a little bit of compassion.''
Oh, the irony.

But seriously, don't post stuff about your customers.
TXJeepGuy, kitakizmo and ursine1 like this.
Cledaybuck is offline  
Old Oct 4, 19, 2:52 pm
  #11  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Posts: 2,898
Funny, because these sky waitresses freak out when you take a picture of your seat/the cabin for an online review/your collection.
DCP2016 is offline  
Old Oct 4, 19, 3:57 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Posts: 8,907
I did not see what was posted - just the shirt/outfit or the actual customer. Both are wrong - but doing the customer is a serious no-no.
NoStressHere is offline  
Old Oct 4, 19, 4:25 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,537
Obviously what the FA did was wrong, for multiple reasons. I'm certain he will face discipline from Southwest. End of story.
ursine1 is offline  
Old Oct 4, 19, 4:30 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Danville, CA, USA;
Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Plat Amb
Posts: 12,034
IME people who wear political opinions on their chests, hats, wherever are generally looking to spark dialogue and invite reaction. Now everyone flying economy deserves the same (low) level of customer service regardless of what they wear. But they are clearly gunning for reaction +/- when they wear this stuff.
swaluvr, TXJeepGuy and ursine1 like this.
Boraxo is offline  
Old Oct 4, 19, 4:57 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Blue Ridge, GA
Posts: 4,389
Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post
But they are clearly gunning for reaction +/- when they wear this stuff.
+1

Boraxo and kennycrudup like this.
LegalTender is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread