In Flight WIFI, VPN issues

Old Oct 3, 2019, 12:09 pm
JRF
Original Poster

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
In Flight WIFI, VPN issues

The last few times I have tried, have not been able to connect to the paid inflight WiFi using a VPN.

Anyone have insight or suggestions.

Apologies if this is already covered in another post, search was not very helpful.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: WN A-List
Which VPN provider do you use?
Old Oct 3, 2019, 12:36 pm
JRF
Original Poster

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
At the moment I am using NordVPN but am more than willing to switch.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
I've used both Wireguard (UDP) and OpenVPN VPNs while aboard; the issue is most VPN endpoints are UDP, and because of the nature of the comm link, I suspect a lot of UDP packets get thrown away (or lost/delayed), killing your thruput.

If you can switch to using TCP, that should work for you.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by JRF
The last few times I have tried, have not been able to connect to the paid inflight WiFi using a VPN.
Wait- did you mean "Connect to a VPN while using the inflight WiFi", or did you actually mean "Connect to the paid WiFi while using a VPN"? If the latter, that's not going to work. Disconnect from your VPN first, then pay (or authenticate if you get it for free), then re-connect to your VPN. It's no different from say, a hotel's or cafe's Login Portal page where you need a working connection first before you can pass any traffic.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 5:36 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Wait- did you mean "Connect to a VPN while using the inflight WiFi", or did you actually mean "Connect to the paid WiFi while using a VPN"? If the latter, that's not going to work. Disconnect from your VPN first, then pay (or authenticate if you get it for free), then re-connect to your VPN. It's no different from say, a hotel's or cafe's Login Portal page where you need a working connection first before you can pass any traffic.
Got that. Does not work with our corporate security policies.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Does not work with our corporate security policies.
Huh. What does your company's IT tell you to do when you go to Starbucks, or check into a hotel?
Old Oct 3, 2019, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Worked fine with my company's VPN client (FortiClient) on my flight this afternoon. I did have issues trying to trigger the wifi splash page initially.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 6:18 pm

Huh. What does your company's IT tell you to do when you go to Starbucks, or check into a hotel?
You'd be amazed at how some companies IT systems work.

Someone I know has a work laptop that you can't login to unless you've first connected it to a wifi network and authenticated the VPN in the bottom right corner of the windows login screen. Makes it impossible to use the computer on any network that requires a login via a connection page.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
In most places we are encouraged to use a wifi puck. Public wifi, as implemented most places, is not a place for confidential traffic.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Public wifi, as implemented most places, is not a place for confidential traffic.
Yes, hence the need for a VPN- but in many places you have to authenticate locally outside the VPN to be able to pass traffic thru the VPN; I'm just surprised they don't have a solution for the ubiquitous Portal Page.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: Southwest Hilton Diamond
Yes, hence the need for a VPN- but in many places you have to authenticate locally outside the VPN to be able to pass traffic thru the VPN; I'm just surprised they don't have a solution for the ubiquitous Portal Page.
Yea that is just poor implementation, and I am a long time Corporate IT Security guy. The way I get around it in hotel rooms is I use a TP Link Nano router and connect it to the hotel wireless and use my iPhone to connect and get past the captive portal and log on. Then my work laptop connects to my router SSID and I VPN directly from it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.