Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Well I feel like an idiot

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2019, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Well I feel like an idiot

I’m on flight 450 today (actually in the plane while I’m typing this lol) anyway so I noticed an orange glow under one of the flaps in the part of the wing nearest to the plane. After debating on it for 5 minutes I decided to ask a flight attendant if it was normal (since there was no glow or glare anywhere else) and he was like oh yeah that’s the sun reflecting off it. Now I’m embarrassed lol
Old Oct 2, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: WN
Don't feel bad. I used to be a very nervous flyer. After boarding a flight one time, I looked out the window and saw something on top of the wing. I thought a mechanic left a tool sitting there. Before pulling away from the gate, I rang the flight attendant and nervously pointed out the window. She then told the captain. He then left the plane and went out and inspected the wing, then came back rather pissed off. It turns out I freaked out over a "wing hook" that is part of the wing. I then apologized profusely for delaying the flight.
Wolfsrule20 likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I would not feel too bad. The FA did not know what it was and escalated it.
joshua362 and BeanTownBoy like this.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Originally Posted by darrenpb
Don't feel bad. I used to be a very nervous flyer. After boarding a flight one time, I looked out the window and saw something on top of the wing. I thought a mechanic left a tool sitting there. Before pulling away from the gate, I rang the flight attendant and nervously pointed out the window. She then told the captain. He then left the plane and went out and inspected the wing, then came back rather pissed off. It turns out I freaked out over a "wing hook" that is part of the wing. I then apologized profusely for delaying the flight.
The Captain was not pissed at you, he most certainly would have been pissed that the FA that did not know what that was since it can be a critical part of a passenger emergency exit procedure.

"Once the passengers in the emergency exit row open the door, an escape slide at the back end of the wing automatically deploys. The other passengers will exit through this door, walk across the wing and slide away from the plane.

During a water landing, the wings are likely to be wet and very slippery, making it difficult to safely reach the slide.

If cabin crew must facilitate an emergency exit over the wing, called and "overwing exit," they will pull out ropes from safety lockers above the emergency exit row. Once the exit is open, cabin crew secure one end of the rope in the door frame while the other end of the rope is fed onto the wing and through the small wing hooks.

Passengers can use this rope to steady themselves on the wing as they make their way toward the inflatable exit slide.

If passengers must also wait on life rafts for rescue, crew can use the ropes and emergency hooks to tether the rafts to the plane"
drphun, BeanTownBoy, 4004 and 5 others like this.

Last edited by PAX62; Oct 2, 2019 at 6:11 pm
Old Oct 2, 2019, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Lol
Franky16 likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
I hope that FA was fired immediately upon landing. That is there for a reason that he/she should be well aware of.

AA? They seem oblivious to most things...
Old Oct 2, 2019, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Fsuga1
I hope that FA was fired immediately upon landing. That is there for a reason that he/she should be well aware of.

OUCH!
Old Oct 3, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by Fsuga1

Depending on when this happened, the FA might have not had ETOPs training while serving on an ETOPs aircraft. Still not right, but it might have not been the fault of the FA but the training program.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Depending on when this happened, the FA might have not had ETOPs training while serving on an ETOPs aircraft. Still not right, but it might have not been the fault of the FA but the training program.
Water landing emergency procedures are not exclusive to ETOP operations.

If the FA is there primarily for passenger safety and not just a waiter/waitress...one would expect them to be familiar with ALL the passenger safety features of an aircraft they are on.
buschoi, joshua362, 4004 and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: AZ Exec, FB PFL, OneWorld Sapphire, IHG Diamond, Accor Platinum, Avis/Hertz President
Originally Posted by PAX62
Water landing emergency procedures are not exclusive to ETOP operations.

If the FA is there primarily for passenger safety and not just a waiter/waitress...one would expect them to be familiar with ALL the passenger safety features of an aircraft they are on.
On Air France, during the safety briefing, they say that only the FAs carrying the red badge are in charge of safety.

U!
Franky16 likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by ulxima
On Air France, during the safety briefing, they say that only the FAs carrying the red badge are in charge of safety.

U!
Wow! So some percentage of the AF flight attendants are NOT there primarily for our safety? They are there to sate our on board desires? Excellent!
Old Nov 7, 2019, 4:11 am

Programs: AZ Exec, FB PFL, OneWorld Sapphire, IHG Diamond, Accor Platinum, Avis/Hertz President
Originally Posted by xooz
Wow! So some percentage of the AF flight attendants are NOT there primarily for our safety? They are there to sate our on board desires? Excellent!
I am unable to say it but please be our guest and let us know how it goes.

U!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.