FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Chase / RR points discrepancy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1989624-chase-rr-points-discrepancy.html)

Keith Evans Oct 1, 2019 12:39 pm

Chase / RR points discrepancy

I've been making big monthly (ahem... alimony) purchases on my Chase card to get extra RR points, and realized today they're not adding up as quickly as I expected. After some digging, I found that even though the cards are advertised as 1 point per dollar, Chase actually awards 1 point per TWO dollars, effectively cutting the points in half. Here are some screenshots:

Here's the card offer showing 1 point per $1 across all cards (note that it's branded, but actually on the Chase website):
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...a16f630bd.jpeg

BUT... here's the "How we calculate points" explanation from inside the Chase site:
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c80bc8393.jpeg

Input?

NoStressHere Oct 1, 2019 12:59 pm

Not sure... I just pulled up a recent WN/Chase statement and it is doing things right.

What is your statement reflecting?

Keith Evans Oct 1, 2019 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere (Post 31583496)
Not sure... I just pulled up a recent WN/Chase statement and it is doing things right.

What is your statement reflecting?

Statement is reflecting exactly what the Chase website says (but NOT what the WN offer says)... $880 in alimony charged to the card = 440 RR points. The last time I used that card (back in April), I was still getting one point per dollar, so I have no idea what changed.

joshua362 Oct 1, 2019 1:34 pm

Wows. Pretty sneaky is a un or low disclosed earnings rate change went through. I haven't used mine since March (for the annual fee) so I can't be of help.

NoStressHere Oct 1, 2019 1:42 pm

If nothing else, I learned something new today - paying Alimony with a CC. Go figure. LOL!

dmbolp Oct 1, 2019 1:45 pm

Just checked mine on Chase, a Priority card, still says 1 Point per $1 for all other purchases.

Which type card do you have?

SWAVictor Oct 1, 2019 1:57 pm

Hey Keith - i checked with our Credit Card team, and while we are not currently offering any cards with the $2 for 1 point rate, we have in the past.

I'm not sure which card you have, but if you believe that you have a card that should be earning at $1=1 point, and that it was earning at that rate in the past, please reach out directly to Chase so that they can investigate and resolve for you.

Keith Evans Oct 1, 2019 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere (Post 31583664)
If nothing else, I learned something new today - paying Alimony with a CC. Go figure. LOL!

Florida offers it as an option, and it's through the state so there's no disputing it. I just pay that card off each month and earn RR points (...or so I thought). I alternate and sometimes use my Hyatt card to pay, and that one's still one point per dollar. So weird.

Originally Posted by dmbolp
Which type card do you have?

I have the Plus.

NoStressHere Oct 1, 2019 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Keith Evans (Post 31583517)
Statement is reflecting exactly what the Chase website says (but NOT what the WN offer says)... $880 in alimony charged to the card = 440 RR points. The last time I used that card (back in April), I was still getting one point per dollar, so I have no idea what changed.

Has this happened on other charges to the card (2:1)? In more than one month?

Keith Evans Oct 2, 2019 6:06 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere (Post 31583847)
Has this happened on other charges to the card (2:1)? In more than one month?

Yes... I paid off the card in April and stopped using it, then started again around August. All of the charges since August have been 2:1.

I called Chase yesterday and the call center girl told me that the 1:1 expires and becomes 2:1. To be honest, though, she didn't sound very sure of that and I don't have a lot of confidence that she had any idea what she was talking about.

Cledaybuck Oct 2, 2019 8:33 am

Sounds like it is about time you cancelled that card and got a new one (with 60k point bonus to boot).

Beachchaser Oct 5, 2019 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by Keith Evans (Post 31585582)
Yes... I paid off the card in April and stopped using it, then started again around August. All of the charges since August have been 2:1.

I called Chase yesterday and the call center girl told me that the 1:1 expires and becomes 2:1. To be honest, though, she didn't sound very sure of that and I don't have a lot of confidence that she had any idea what she was talking about.

Did you have any Returns over the last few months? If you have a return after your last closing date it wont clawback previous earnings but rather debit future earnings.