Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

WN changed booked flight times; can I get a refund on my WGA ticket ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Hyatt Discoverist / IHG Diamond / American Airlines Executive Platinum

As compared to WN cancelled flight, can I get refund on my WGA ticket if I no longer want to travel? I have a slightly different situation that came up this morning. My wife and I purchased two WGA tickets for a round trip in early December, non-stop both ways. Tickets were purchased mid-August. Today we got an email saying our schedule had changed. Originally we were schedule to arrive at our destination at 11:45 AM, which is nice on a short weekend getaway. We chose this flight because it was the earliest non-stop of the two airlines that fly the route (Southwest and American). The schedule change now has us arriving at 2:55 PM, over 3 hours later. Even the flight number has changed. This is hugely disappointing. To top it off with, American has now added an earlier morning flight, arriving at 10:07 AM. Return flights are unaffected and multiple are at acceptable times on both airlines.

The verbiage in the email from Southwest says we may change flights, but if the fare is different there will be a fare difference to pay. But Southwest only has later flights that are non-stop. We aren't keen on changing planes on such a short trip as the risk for a misconnect, lost baggage, delay, etc go up.

I would like to cancel and get a refund. We already have our travel plans mapped out for the next 12-14 months and we won't need another Southwest ticket, so getting credit would be pointless. If they'd give me longer than 12 months we could use them, but we won't within that window. Do I have any chance of getting a refund? If so, what provisions should I point the agent toward? Thanks!

Last edited by ftnoob; Sep 7, 2019 at 9:43 am Reason: Conforming changes for tangential issue split into independent thread
Old Sep 5, 2019, 4:01 pm

Did you try the change flight option on the website? I got an email today about a schedule change and was able to change to any new flight from the surrounding airports and times without any extra charge.
https://www.southwest.com/air/change...ogRequest=true
If not I think you should call until you get a helpful agent. If you get someone who says nothing can be done hang up and call again.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by brianinok
I have a slightly different situation that came up this morning. My wife and I purchased two WGA tickets for a round trip in early December, non-stop both ways. Tickets were purchased mid-August. Today we got an email saying our schedule had changed. Originally we were schedule to arrive at our destination at 11:45 AM, which is nice on a short weekend getaway. We chose this flight because it was the earliest non-stop of the two airlines that fly the route (Southwest and American). The schedule change now has us arriving at 2:55 PM, over 3 hours later. Even the flight number has changed. This is hugely disappointing. To top it off with, American has now added an earlier morning flight, arriving at 10:07 AM. Return flights are unaffected and multiple are at acceptable times on both airlines.

The verbiage in the email from Southwest says we may change flights, but if the fare is different there will be a fare difference to pay. But Southwest only has later flights that are non-stop. We aren't keen on changing planes on such a short trip as the risk for a misconnect, lost baggage, delay, etc go up.

I would like to cancel and get a refund. We already have our travel plans mapped out for the next 12-14 months and we won't need another Southwest ticket, so getting credit would be pointless. If they'd give me longer than 12 months we could use them, but we won't within that window. Do I have any chance of getting a refund? If so, what provisions should I point the agent toward? Thanks!
see the other thread about changes here in the forum
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sout...ct-nov-13.html
Old Sep 5, 2019, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by brianinok
I have a slightly different situation that came up this morning. My wife and I purchased two WGA tickets for a round trip in early December, non-stop both ways. Tickets were purchased mid-August. Today we got an email saying our schedule had changed. Originally we were schedule to arrive at our destination at 11:45 AM, which is nice on a short weekend getaway. We chose this flight because it was the earliest non-stop of the two airlines that fly the route (Southwest and American). The schedule change now has us arriving at 2:55 PM, over 3 hours later. Even the flight number has changed. This is hugely disappointing. To top it off with, American has now added an earlier morning flight, arriving at 10:07 AM. Return flights are unaffected and multiple are at acceptable times on both airlines.

I think you're reading that wrong regarding the fare difference. Per the CoC (pdf download), if Southwest changes your itinerary, your options are to accept the new one, change to a better one for no additional cost (same city pairs or co-terminals where available, up to 14 days from original travel date), or cancel for a full refund.

a. Failure to Operate as Scheduled
(1) Canceled Flights or Irregular Operations. In the event Carrier cancels or fails to operate any flight according to Carrier’s published schedule, or changes the schedule of any flight, Carrier will, at the request of a Passenger with a confirmed Ticket on such flight, take one of the following actions:
(i) Transport the Passenger at no additional charge on Carrier’s next flight(s) on which space is available to the Passenger’s intended destination, in accordance with Carrier’s established reaccommodation practices; or
(ii) Refund the unused portion of the Passenger’s fare in accordance with Section 4c.

Last edited by ursine1; Sep 5, 2019 at 4:35 pm
Old Sep 7, 2019, 3:29 am

Programs: DL
I had to mail them a letter after two phone calls and two "processed" refunds that never went through. They did eventually give it back. Also don't forget changing a refundable ticket makes it non-refundable on WN.

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/purchasing-and-refunds/refund-info-pol.html
Old Sep 7, 2019, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by paul21
I had to mail them a letter after two phone calls and two "processed" refunds that never went through. They did eventually give it back. Also don't forget changing a refundable ticket makes it non-refundable on WN.

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/purchasing-and-refunds/refund-info-pol.html
The glitch that caused changing a refundable ticket to become non-refundable has been fixed, so this is no longer the case.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by ursine1
The glitch that caused changing a refundable ticket to become non-refundable has been fixed, so this is no longer the case.
Thanks for the info. Looks like the official policy changed on Oct 9 of last year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.