Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bag Tag Scanners

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2019, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Bag Tag Scanners

I've recently noticed ramp workers and baggage agents carrying PDAs (personal digital assistants) at several airports, RDU and PNS to name two. This morning I noticed the ramp workers at RDU scanning every bag before they loaded it on the plane. Anyone know if we are going to be able to track our bags soon?
Old Sep 3, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: Southwest Airlines, Marriot
When I fly Delta I get a notification from their app to advise me the bag was loaded on the plane.
ryw likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: Southwest A+/CP, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Its about time. When WN loses your bag, their answer is that they don't have a clue where it is because they don't scan it after you check it in.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:39 am
jmw

In the past few weeks, every time I see a tarmac baggage handler I see them scanning every bag before it goes on the belt. I'm guessing this is the reason why bags have been dog slow lately to bag claim. And it's the same reason why bags on WN used to be so fast vs other airlines since they never scan them.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
In July 2019, I flew a quick island hop (OGG --> KOA) on Hawaiian. They scanned my bags.
I would have used Southwest for this island hop, but they don't currently have a non-stop. Wanted to fly me back to HNL, a 5 hour project compared to less than 1 hour on Hawaiian. Maybe someday on Southwest!
Old Sep 3, 2019, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FCfree
In July 2019, I flew a quick island hop (OGG --> KOA) on Hawaiian. They scanned my bags.
I would have used Southwest for this island hop, but they don't currently have a non-stop. Wanted to fly me back to HNL, a 5 hour project compared to less than 1 hour on Hawaiian. Maybe someday on Southwest!
Ummm, what does this have to do with WN (Southwest)?
njf1003 and beckynva like this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by cslovacek
Ummm, what does this have to do with WN (Southwest)?
I don't know, except that the poster would have taken WN if it had a nonstop at the right time?

BTW, I flew AA last night and they've been scanning bags religiously over the past couple of years now. So, it's about time that WN does the same. It does help to know where the luggage was last scanned, when it does not show up on the carousel at the final destination.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 7:13 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by FCfree
That day would be January 19, 2020.
Originally Posted by formeraa
I don't know, except that the poster would have taken WN if it had a nonstop at the right time?

BTW, I flew AA last night and they've been scanning bags religiously over the past couple of years now. So, it's about time that WN does the same. It does help to know where the luggage was last scanned, when it does not show up on the carousel at the final destination.
It is nice to be able to see where your bag is on the AApp.

Last edited by Cledaybuck; Sep 3, 2019 at 7:20 pm
Old Sep 4, 2019, 2:05 am

An actual baggage tracking system has been rumored to be coming at some point for Southwest for many years now. RFID tags and customer access to location info online and via app, such as that offered by other carriers, was to be part of the new system.

That said, however, my guess right now is that agents scanning bags as they load the plane is most likely in response to FAA scrutiny following failures to accurately track the combined weight of checked bags.

"The FAA has directed the development of a comprehensive solution to the methods and processes used by Southwest Airlines to determine this (weight and balance) performance data," the spokesman said. "The FAA will not close its investigation until it is satisfied that Southwest's corrective actions are consistent and sustained."
FAA investigating Southwest Airlines for baggage weight discrepancies
joshua362 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 7:53 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I know all airlines have ancient computer systems but why is Southwest so slow to implement things? They can't hide behind that excuse forever.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: Southwest A+/CP, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jackvogt
I know all airlines have ancient computer systems but why is Southwest so slow to implement things? They can't hide behind that excuse forever.
As a frequent and almost exclusive flyer on WN, they are the slowest and always last to implement anything. This isn't surprising at all. The last time they lost my bag and I complained it was ridiculous they had no clue where it was, the agent's response was "scanners cost money, how do you think we still don't have bag fees like everyone else?"
Old Sep 12, 2019, 9:26 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Originally Posted by aaronp84
As a frequent and almost exclusive flyer on WN, they are the slowest and always last to implement anything. This isn't surprising at all. The last time they lost my bag and I complained it was ridiculous they had no clue where it was, the agent's response was "scanners cost money, how do you think we still don't have bag fees like everyone else?"
That's a funny excuse to hide behind.
CREN likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.