First flight in years as Non-COS

Old Aug 26, 19, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
First flight in years as Non-COS

No real reason for this except it is a milestone and I was one of the go to guys for COS experience back when it was still a novelty. I was always a marginal COS at ~300 lbs and 5'11". Now I am down about 55 pounds and counting so I really am not a COS anymore. (Noom, in case you were wondering.)

Sunday was my first flight without the preboard perk. I bought a last minute ticket so I had to get BS for the outbound. The flight was nearly full, but I snagged my favorite seat, 5A, and soon enough someone sat in the aisle seat. However, on the nearly full flight, no one took the middle. Woo Hoo! Just like always except for not having to defend the empty middle. The return may be different. I paid $25 for Early Bird.

I am not flying as much as I once did. At one time I was making 3-4 RT per month. I was A+ in the very first cut of the new status, and boarded A16-A18 for most flights. Then came the weight gain from a medical issue, since resolved, but the weight stuck. I decided that enough is enough and now, here I am.

The COS "perk" is a great benefit, especially for those that would have been stuck in the middle next to me. It is really not for the COS but to prevent many people from being stuck encroached upon.

It has been great fun telling folks about the ins and outs of COS on WN. There were lots of great stories about when I was my own companion and all of the training sessions getting reservations correct. There were times when it would take over an hour just to get checked in at the airport. WN has mostly fixed this mess.

I'm glad to be with the "general" boarders once again!

Last edited by InkUnderNails; Aug 27, 19 at 2:54 am
Old Aug 26, 19, 7:18 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails View Post
Your former companion, OTOH, is devastated. Eviscerated, even.

Congratulations!
wrp96, steved5480, dc2 and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 26, 19, 7:18 pm

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Hilton and Choice hotels primarily.
I miss your great posts.

CONGRATULATIONS on loosing 55 lbs.
Air Houston and kennycrudup like this.
Old Aug 26, 19, 7:37 pm

Programs: Hilton, DL
Well done! I'm sure it must take a lot of discipline to lose that amount of weight.
Old Aug 26, 19, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold; WN A-List Pref., CP; Marriott Plat.
Bravo!
Old Aug 26, 19, 9:21 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Way to go Ink! Now you can try Seat Amigo.
Taco Tuesday likes this.
Old Aug 27, 19, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by OregonMan View Post
Well done! I'm sure it must take a lot of discipline to lose that amount of weight.
Thanks! As to discipline, yes and no. The way noom works fits my thought pattern. I am a maintenance guy and a machinist by trade. The numbers aspect is like fitting to tolerances. I am 100 days in and approaching my 1st goal: my weight at 21 YO. When I make that, I will reset my goal to my weight at 18. BTW, currently I am 64. This has been a long time coming.
SusanDK, kennycrudup and OregonMan like this.
Old Aug 27, 19, 3:57 pm

Great job, Ink!
Old Aug 27, 19, 4:52 pm

This is the best post I've come across in a long time. Congrats, and happy travels.
Old Aug 27, 19, 5:48 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Southwest A-list Preferred, Delta Million Miler
Congrats on the big loss! Iíve enjoyed your informative posts over the years and look forward to your contributions in the future. Keep up the great work on improving your health.
Old Sep 17, 19, 1:32 pm
Administrator

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails View Post
No real reason for this except it is a milestone and I was one of the go to guys for COS experience back when it was still a novelty. I was always a marginal COS at ~300 lbs and 5'11". Now I am down about 55 pounds and counting so I really am not a COS anymore. (Noom, in case you were wondering.)

Sunday was my first flight without the preboard perk. I bought a last minute ticket so I had to get BS for the outbound. The flight was nearly full, but I snagged my favorite seat, 5A, and soon enough someone sat in the aisle seat. However, on the nearly full flight, no one took the middle. Woo Hoo! Just like always except for not having to defend the empty middle. The return may be different. I paid $25 for Early Bird.

I am not flying as much as I once did. At one time I was making 3-4 RT per month. I was A+ in the very first cut of the new status, and boarded A16-A18 for most flights. Then came the weight gain from a medical issue, since resolved, but the weight stuck. I decided that enough is enough and now, here I am.

The COS "perk" is a great benefit, especially for those that would have been stuck in the middle next to me. It is really not for the COS but to prevent many people from being stuck encroached upon.

It has been great fun telling folks about the ins and outs of COS on WN. There were lots of great stories about when I was my own companion and all of the training sessions getting reservations correct. There were times when it would take over an hour just to get checked in at the airport. WN has mostly fixed this mess.

Congrats, and well done!
Old Sep 17, 19, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA MM
Congrats, that's a job well done. And don't the airline seats feel a bit less "snug" ? I speak as one who lost 80 lbs over about the last 3 1/2 years. Obviously, you're already feeling good about increased mobility, etc. I sure do!

If I may be a tad preachy, the long haul (and I'm not talking about flights) is what it is all about. I've read a lot of the medical lit on "recividism" as they call it, and by 5 years after loss almost everyone gains it back. So, let's try to beat those numbers! After losing 80, I managed without any effort at all to get 30 of it back, but lost half that this summer due to very active hiking trips. Have to keep reminding myself that it is so so so much easier to keep it off than to lose it.

Doing behavior mod, as you did, and I too, seems to be the most promising. Big changes in what you eat are much harder to sustain than efforts such as portion control and increased exercise. Some things sort of have to go - personally I rarely drink as alcohol is basically empty calories, so made it only a social thing and only in limited quantity.

I'm of a similar age - 67 - and pretty felt like "now or never". What I have found hard was changing from "losing weight" to "maintaining weight" I had finally gotten good, and enjoyed, the former, but have been pretty lousy with the latter. Just a few things to think about as you keep at it.

Sorry to be preachy -- big congrats are in order for you!!
steved5480 and nsx like this.
Old Sep 17, 19, 4:20 pm

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Hilton and Choice hotels primarily.
Hey Ink,

If you didn't see it, this thread is feature on the FlyerTalk newsletter.
Old Sep 21, 19, 4:08 am

Programs: Frontier Early Returns, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue
I was a COS (6' 315) up until about a year ago when stress turned my normal managable but regular acid reflux into a nightmare. Eating just about anything would give me acid reflux, I was so miserable, I had lost like 75lbs a year ago. A month or two after that, I totally forgot that I needed to check in and showed up at the airport only to be denied a second seat. However after finding the right meds and an upper GI to calm my anxieties about it being cancer, I started eating badly again and I'm now 6' 338. I can't afford NOOM but I'm looking into a few things.

It felt so much better being thinner, but unfortunately its not enough to get me to stop my overeating.
Old Sep 23, 19, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lougord99 View Post
Hey Ink,

If you didn't see it, this thread is feature on the FlyerTalk newsletter.
Thanks for the heads up. I did not know that.

Since I last checked in here, I reached that goal of 65 pounds gone. I reset my goal for 90 total, 25 more.

This has been interesting and more than a bit frustrating. The plateaus are the worst. I hit 8/10 of a pound short of my goal and stayed there for six days. Every day exactly the same. 8/10 pound short. Then on the seventh day, I was down exactly that 8/10 and hit my goal exactly.

Yes, seats are more comfortable, concourses are shorter, and stairways have fewer stairs.

There is one down side. For the last few years I was getting taller. I knew this was true because the floor kept getting farther away. It is now getting closer so I must be getting shorter.
steved5480 and joshua362 like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: