upgraded boarding with upgraded credit card

Old Aug 25, 19, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

upgraded boarding with upgraded credit card

Hi - I had an email recently to upgrade my credit card. It comes with 7500 bonus at anniversary, $75 travel credit a year, etc and a $149 annual fee. One of the things that caught my eye was upgraded boarding. I usually get early bird and pay. I assume this upgraded boarding is only available day of flying and with the new credit card more people will be eligible. So not buying early bird is probably not my best idea as there is a good chance that there will be no upgraded seats left. It is my understanding that upgraded means A1-15.
I guess I just want to know if what I am thinking here is right!
Thanks,
Sue
Old Aug 25, 19, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by sueoz View Post
Hi - I had an email recently to upgrade my credit card. It comes with 7500 bonus at anniversary, $75 travel credit a year, etc and a $149 annual fee. One of the things that caught my eye was upgraded boarding. I usually get early bird and pay. I assume this upgraded boarding is only available day of flying and with the new credit card more people will be eligible. So not buying early bird is probably not my best idea as there is a good chance that there will be no upgraded seats left. It is my understanding that upgraded means A1-15.
Thanks,
Sue
The credit card gets you four upgraded boarding positions per year (yes, somewhere between A1 and A15, depending on availability).

It seems like you're mostly thinking correctly. I guess a lot of it depends on how often you fly Southwest and how much early boarding actually means to you. If there is a flight you really want good boarding for (such as a longer flight), in my personal opinion you could skip paying for early bird and just wait until you get to the gate to pay for the upgraded boarding. But if you think that's too risky, an alternate strategy would be to keep buying your early bird (since that is what you usually do), and then, if you happen to get a particularly bad number (say, mid to late B's) even with early bird, you can THEN upgrade at the gate. It will still seem like a "free" upgrade for you at the gate with that credit card.

To answer your other question of 'will there be no upgrades left,' I think that answer varies by route. Remember, you're competing with other upgraders but also business travelers that purchase the business select fares as well. I've upgraded myself a few times and the worst I've done so far is A7, but that's also on a route that isn't heavy with business travelers. In my opinion this credit card isn't going to do much to significantly change the number of upgraded boarders on any individual flight. I still feel like it would be pretty rare to have all of A1-A15 completely filled by the time you were trying to upgrade at the gate in any case, but your mileage may vary.
Old Aug 25, 19, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by sueoz View Post
Thanks,
Sue
Won't get you an upgrade on a sold out flight. And, it is really a guess whether or not a particular flight will be sold out. Though, I would use the upgrade if you didn't have early bird and forgot to check in!
Old Aug 26, 19, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by NextTrip View Post
Won't get you an upgrade on a sold out flight. And, it is really a guess whether or not a particular flight will be sold out.
Sure you will. "Sold out" doesn't mean that all A1-15 positions have been taken. I have the card, and have as a result been recently purchasing Upgraded Boarding. Except on heavy business routes it's almost always available. Even on completely full flights, like those with a standby list.

It does seem to me that the BS positions are more full now than they used to be, but that's purely in my observation. I'm also finding that regular t- 24 check-in is getting me a later B number than it used to. I suspect more people are buying Early-Bird than ever.
Old Aug 26, 19, 6:52 am

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I have upgraded on a few sold out flights already.

Works great.

The upgraded card is a no brainer if you fly WN.
Old Sep 15, 19, 10:26 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond,
Wish one get buy the upgrade online day of travel instead of waiting to get to the gate. It works great. Done on a short leg in California as well as Hawaii trip. -- all sold out legs; got in no more than A10.

Credit posts automatically to your cc.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: